Firing Gay Servicemen(and women)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Firing Gay Servicemen(and women)
FFS Ben Carson, how does this seem like a good idea?

In this article Big Ben says he'd consider firing any gay seviceperson from the military. In an all volunteer military, this seems really, really stupid. Like where you put your face or pecker has anything to do with your desire to serve your country. How disgraceful. How does christianity make you a better person again?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2016, 08:44 AM
RE: Firing Gay Servicemen(and women)
He's chugging the far right xtian kool-aid to get more votes. There is nothing good to come from that. It isn't any of his business what consenting adults do, and I really don't understand why these people can't keep their blue noses out of other people's business.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-01-2016, 08:53 AM
What an ignorant, hateful, dick-ish, and religious-filled statement. I am not a bit surprised that he said something like this.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Can't tell if pandering to the base or if he actually believes that...

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
13-01-2016, 09:22 AM
I spent twenty years in the USN ('69-'89) and knew a few sailors who admitted to being gay, plus a few SWAGs* as well. In that entire time I don't recall a single situation where sexual orientation interfered with our mission. Homophobes were far more likely to cause problems from my experience.

*Scientific Wild Ass Guess
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Gawdzilla's post
13-01-2016, 09:54 AM
We've got a medic in the brigade (not our unit) who is openly gay. We gave him some shit for deciding to change his last name when he got married, though we probably wouldn't have if we hadn't already known he has a good sense of humor about it. I don't think anyone actually cares. When we're lining up for vaccines or whatever, it's not like anyone says "No way, he might inject me with the gay!" It's one of those things that was briefly a conversation topic that was quickly forgotten. He does his job and he does it well, so people quickly lost interest. I imagine it will be much the same way when our new female addition finally shows up in the next month or two.

'Murican Canadian
13-01-2016, 10:49 AM
(13-01-2016 09:54 AM)yakherder Wrote:  We've got a medic in the brigade (not our unit) who is openly gay. We gave him some shit for deciding to change his last name when he got married, though we probably wouldn't have if we hadn't already known he has a good sense of humor about it. I don't think anyone actually cares. When we're lining up for vaccines or whatever, it's not like anyone says "No way, he might inject me with the gay!" It's one of those things that was briefly a conversation topic that was quickly forgotten. He does his job and he does it well, so people quickly lost interest. I imagine it will be much the same way when our new female addition finally shows up in the next month or two.

I just can't imagine whether in a firefight that it crosses your mind whether the guy next to you finds other men attractive. That has nothing to do with protecting your brother. Carson may be pandering for votes, but I just can't get my mind around on why anyone can actually think that one's sexual orientation has anything to do with their ability to do this job.

Also YH, do you have any apprehensions to going into battle with a female as long as she passed the same training you did?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
13-01-2016, 11:12 AM
(13-01-2016 10:49 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Also YH, do you have any apprehensions to going into battle with a female as long as she passed the same training you did?

I'm not gonna lie and say there isn't at least some apprehension, but that has more to do with culture than physical capabilities. Engaging in violent confrontation requires a mindset that isn't traditionally promoted in females. That said, most men aren't psychologically prepared for it either. So in that regards, I'm apprehensive about going into battle with anyone whom I haven't made up my mind about regardless of sex or sexual orientation. It's also important that they be able to fit in. Whose fault it is if they don't is irrelevant when shit hits the fan. One of my worries is therefore that a combination of politics and irrational bias will create a socially awkward situation that will make it more difficult for us to function as a team under pressure regardless of how theoretically capable she might be.

'Murican Canadian
13-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Ya gotta wonder....

Is the guy overcompensating for "something"????

Hmmmmmmm.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-01-2016, 02:01 PM
If this were Rubio, I would say he was pandering.

I think Carson and Cruz actually believe the feces they spew forth.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post