First Amendment Defense Act

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
21-12-2016, 10:32 AM
First Amendment Defense Act
With Trump about to take over, it is now realistic that legislation to protect the right to discriminate against gays could become law.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/f...ns-n698416

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2016, 10:38 AM
RE: First Amendment Defense Act
At work.

Consider

I'm sorry... but shouldn't it kind already be law (And just like 'Normal' to boot) to not discriminate against, y'know, anyone ?

Consider
21-12-2016, 10:56 AM
(21-12-2016 10:38 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Consider

I'm sorry... but shouldn't it kind already be law (And just like 'Normal' to boot) to not discriminate against, y'know, anyone ?

Consider

I think this law would make it legal to deny them access to certain services on account of their sexual orientation.

The behavior against which this ruling was made would become legit.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
21-12-2016, 11:01 AM
I could make arguments for or against this bill. I've said many times that people shouldn't be forced to perform work against their religous beliefs unless they are actual government employees. Like the muslim truck drivers that won their lawsuit against their employer for making them drive beer trucks. Snowflake fast food workers refuse to serve cops. Snowflakes can go find a pro gay marriage bakery to make their cake when they want to marry another snowflake.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
21-12-2016, 11:23 AM
(21-12-2016 11:01 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I could make arguments for or against this bill. I've said many times that people shouldn't be forced to perform work against their religous beliefs unless they are actual government employees. Like the muslim truck drivers that won their lawsuit against their employer for making them drive beer trucks. Snowflake fast food workers refuse to serve cops. Snowflakes can go find a pro gay marriage bakery to make their cake when they want to marry another snowflake.

It would appear that the commerce clause in the constitution permits congress to regulate businesses. The way I understand it, they have the power to determine how you do business. That would include on what basis you cannot discriminate against your customers. It so happens race, gender, sexual orientation, national origin etc have been recipients of protection from discrimination under this clause.

It becomes harder to discriminate against heterosexuals or gays, whites or blacks, men or women, etc. I think that is a good thing.

21-12-2016, 11:26 AM
(21-12-2016 11:23 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(21-12-2016 11:01 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I could make arguments for or against this bill. I've said many times that people shouldn't be forced to perform work against their religous beliefs unless they are actual government employees. Like the muslim truck drivers that won their lawsuit against their employer for making them drive beer trucks. Snowflake fast food workers refuse to serve cops. Snowflakes can go find a pro gay marriage bakery to make their cake when they want to marry another snowflake.

It would appear that the commerce clause in the constitution permits congress to regulate businesses. The way I understand it, they have the power to determine how you do business. That would include on what basis you cannot discriminate against your customers. It so happens race, gender, sexual orientation, national origin etc have been recipients of protection from discrimination under this clause.

It becomes harder to discriminate against heterosexuals or gays, whites or blacks, men or women, etc. I think that is a good thing.

I get that side too. But there is also the side that says the government can't force you into or out of your religious beliefs.

21-12-2016, 11:30 AM
(21-12-2016 11:26 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(21-12-2016 11:23 AM)tomilay Wrote:  It would appear that the commerce clause in the constitution permits congress to regulate businesses. The way I understand it, they have the power to determine how you do business. That would include on what basis you cannot discriminate against your customers. It so happens race, gender, sexual orientation, national origin etc have been recipients of protection from discrimination under this clause.

I get that side too. But there is also the side that says the government can't force you into or out of your religious beliefs.

The bakery would be baking a cake, not having sex with someone god would not approve of.

If baking a cake is a sin, they better find another skill.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-12-2016, 11:42 AM
(21-12-2016 11:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-12-2016 11:26 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I get that side too. But there is also the side that says the government can't force you into or out of your religious beliefs.

The bakery would be baking a cake, not having sex with someone god would not approve of.

If baking a cake is a sin, they better find another skill.

They don't want to endorse gay marriage or gay sex. By forcing them to use their eggs, flour, milk as well as time and energy they are being forced to go against their religous beliefs.

21-12-2016, 11:47 AM
(21-12-2016 11:26 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(21-12-2016 11:23 AM)tomilay Wrote:  It would appear that the commerce clause in the constitution permits congress to regulate businesses. The way I understand it, they have the power to determine how you do business. That would include on what basis you cannot discriminate against your customers. It so happens race, gender, sexual orientation, national origin etc have been recipients of protection from discrimination under this clause.

A lot of laws go against many people's beliefs religious or otherwise. What is so special about religious beliefs?

21-12-2016, 11:53 AM
(21-12-2016 11:47 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(21-12-2016 11:26 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I get that side too. But there is also the side that says the government can't force you into or out of your religious beliefs.

A lot of laws go against many people's beliefs religious or otherwise. What is so special about religious beliefs?

It's in the constitution. "...or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." People are protected from the government interfering over which religious beliefs they can follow.