First Atheist Congressman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2014, 08:45 PM
RE: First Atheist Congressman
(02-09-2014 12:19 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  I think that if an atheist runs for Congress, their lack of belief shouldn't be exposed as a method to get in. Once they are elected, either unveil then that you are an atheist, or wait until after you out of office to say so. That way, the job can get done without needless obstructions in either getting in office or getting your job done.

It would certainly correct people on atheists being devil worshippers, bad people, etc at the cost of not being forthcoming about your own lack of belief in gods.

Yes but if it's like most election processes part of the campaign is going to entail questions ABOUT their faith - or at least investigation into it (where does he/she go to church, what IS his exact affiliation, etc).

At that point you're talking about LYING to get elected.....and that does a few things. Makes you a lying politician AND gives ammunition to those who think atheists have no "moral compass" or that you're ashamed of your atheism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jillSK's post
02-09-2014, 09:57 PM
(02-09-2014 08:45 PM)jillSK Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 12:19 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  I think that if an atheist runs for Congress, their lack of belief shouldn't be exposed as a method to get in. Once they are elected, either unveil then that you are an atheist, or wait until after you out of office to say so. That way, the job can get done without needless obstructions in either getting in office or getting your job done.

It would certainly correct people on atheists being devil worshippers, bad people, etc at the cost of not being forthcoming about your own lack of belief in gods.

Yes but if it's like most election processes part of the campaign is going to entail questions ABOUT their faith - or at least investigation into it (where does he/she go to church, what IS his exact affiliation, etc).

At that point you're talking about LYING to get elected.....and that does a few things. Makes you a lying politician AND gives ammunition to those who think atheists have no "moral compass" or that you're ashamed of your atheism.

Not really, you can just say "I'd rather not say."
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
03-09-2014, 01:12 AM
I highly doubt he was the first. A lot of our first presidents and presidents today still, we have no idea if they are telling the truth or not. Nor do we know if they might had changed their mind while in office about what their religion may be.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
03-09-2014, 02:30 PM
(03-09-2014 01:12 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I highly doubt he was the first. A lot of our first presidents and presidents today still, we have no idea if they are telling the truth or not. Nor do we know if they might had changed their mind while in office about what their religion may be.

Washington was officially Anglican/Episcopelean, but avoided communion and in public sought to create ambiguity about his religious leanings. He was noted in prayer several times, though, so he was probably a believer. John Adams was a Congregationalist. Thomas Jefferson was clearly a deist. That might count as an atheist ("not a theist") depending on how you cut the semantic cake. His opponent in one of the presidential races leveled the accusation publicly, IIRC. Madison may have been a deist, but seems to have been more apatheist than anything else. He was certainly anti-religious. Monroe was also ambiguous, but seems to have had some belief.
03-09-2014, 02:40 PM
The OP surprises me. is there anything wrong with an atheist pretending to be Christian for the purpose of getting elected with the intention of trying to fix things from the inside?
03-09-2014, 04:37 PM
(02-09-2014 09:57 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 08:45 PM)jillSK Wrote:  ---
Not really, you can just say "I'd rather not say."

Ha - I agree with you both.
I might feel that keeping my non-belief under wraps before an election might be lying or withholding information that would effect my election. But at the same time, I also think who's fucking business is it anyway?

Someone's belief or lack thereof should have no effect on an election. However, as long as there are religious fundamentalists out there casting votes only for the candidate who subscribes to their brand of kool-aide, it can be something that is likely to come up.

I think the current count for states who still have "no atheists allowed" laws in their office holding duties is eight. There was an interesting article in the Washington Post about it just last month.

It's not controversial at all in many European countries but in the land of the free and the home of the brave ... you're free as long as you're not too different ... cause if you're different, you scare the shit out of us. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-09-2014, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 04:45 PM by TheBear.)
(02-09-2014 08:31 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 08:20 AM)TheBear Wrote:  Unfortunately, regardless of where he stands on issues, most people won't get past that he is an atheist. Dodgy

As an aside......NEENER NEENER on your avatar. PHOOHY on you. Skins beat bad birdies.

Nothing to see here folks moving on.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid639850
03-09-2014, 04:52 PM
(03-09-2014 02:40 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  The OP surprises me. is there anything wrong with an atheist pretending to be Christian for the purpose of getting elected with the intention of trying to fix things from the inside?

Has there been anything remotely demonstrable of fixing things from the inside done by anyone? One or a small group of people(apart from the leadership people) in congress aren't able alter anything nationally, especially not covertly.

And what surprises you from the OP about that? Nothing that is stated is in anyway indicating there is anything wrong with pretending to be a Christian to advance politically. Thought to contrast that, I would say its likely good publicity for atheists in general if the candidate is seen as a worthy of being elected politician.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-09-2014, 03:40 PM
(03-09-2014 04:52 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(03-09-2014 02:40 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  The OP surprises me. is there anything wrong with an atheist pretending to be Christian for the purpose of getting elected with the intention of trying to fix things from the inside?
---
And what surprises you from the OP about that? Nothing that is stated is in anyway indicating there is anything wrong with pretending to be a Christian to advance politically. Thought to contrast that, I would say its likely good publicity for atheists in general if the candidate is seen as a worthy of being elected politician.

Uh... "is there anything wrong ...?" Dodgy Let's see ... yes, it is ethically wrong to "pretend" to "be something" one is not in order to get what one wants. If one sees nothing wrong with it, one might suppose that person to be a liar, a cheat, a fraud, a cad, etc.,. Often the result of such "pretending" can be a reason many people are in years of therapy... or jail, whichever.

ETHICS<-- This might be something to study up on. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-09-2014, 08:45 PM
(03-09-2014 04:52 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

Has there been anything remotely demonstrable of fixing things from the inside done by anyone? One or a small group of people(apart from the leadership people) in congress aren't able alter anything nationally, especially not covertly.

I meant the title of the OP surprised me. I would have thought there were a handful of Atheists in Congress! Big Grin