First GOP Debate!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2015, 06:18 AM
RE: First GOP Debate!
EK - One of my "Favorite Days" was spent in a car with another biologist (my best friend) and an economics grad student who was a vocal "mega-Libertarian" (and had ironically just come back from the Ukraine after five years working over there, and marrying a local with whom he returned to the 'States) on a drive from Kansas City to west of Denver for an event we were attending.

We spent most of the trip discussing the logical conclusions that followed from his great-sounding (on the surface) ideas, and by the end got him to admit that, in the end, you just got government replaced by unregulated mafia thugs, if you followed each of the notions to its logical conclusion.

Joe was most definitely not "prey", and was honest enough to admit the things he had not considered. And he was not dumb enough to take Fox News at their word on things or parrot the Republican ticket propaganda, which is why we were able to be in a car with him for almost ten hours! Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-08-2015, 07:30 AM
I'm voting for Deez Nuts.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
20-08-2015, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2015 08:14 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(20-08-2015 06:18 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  EK - One of my "Favorite Days" was spent in a car with another biologist (my best friend) and an economics grad student who was a vocal "mega-Libertarian" (and had ironically just come back from the Ukraine after five years working over there, and marrying a local with whom he returned to the 'States) on a drive from Kansas City to west of Denver for an event we were attending.

We spent most of the trip discussing the logical conclusions that followed from his great-sounding (on the surface) ideas, and by the end got him to admit that, in the end, you just got government replaced by unregulated mafia thugs, if you followed each of the notions to its logical conclusion.

Joe was most definitely not "prey", and was honest enough to admit the things he had not considered. And he was not dumb enough to take Fox News at their word on things or parrot the Republican ticket propaganda, which is why we were able to be in a car with him for almost ten hours! Tongue

Side Note: My best friend is a bio-chem major, and also the boss/manager at my day-job. Tongue

Also you might enjoy this paper, called a A Dilemma for Libertarianism, which uses core Libertarian tenants to argue the case for hereditary monarchy (in a successful attempt at reductio ad absurdum). As in, if you follow their tenants, there is nothing preventing one person from amassing all of the capital on an island and eventually instituting an effective hereditary monarchy through simple inheritance and Libertarian property rights.

(Link opens paper in browser as a PDF)

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
20-08-2015, 10:58 AM
(18-08-2015 05:53 PM)Alla Wrote:  All those who hate to live in the USA can go. Bye-Bye. Adios. Do svidania.

Hey, fuck off.
20-08-2015, 11:07 AM
(19-08-2015 10:45 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I can't tell at this point if she's a hardline Republican, an Ayn Rand-style radical Libertarian, or a freakin' Anarchist!

Neither. My guess would be troll.

"Radical idea of sharing" and sheeple are reason enough.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
20-08-2015, 11:16 AM
(19-08-2015 09:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  Do you like to be sheeple?

Do you like being a troll? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-08-2015, 11:43 AM
(20-08-2015 01:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 10:45 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I can't tell at this point if she's a hardline Republican, an Ayn Rand-style radical Libertarian, or a freakin' Anarchist!

Libertarians are always fun, because not a one of them realizes that their core doctrine (maximum liberty) can only be achieved through perfect equality, which cannot happen in a zero-regulation anarchy. So their two core philosophies, maximum liberty and zero regulation, are inherently contradictory; laissez faire markets are not going to get you the equitable distribution of resources to allow for everyone to maximize their potential liberty.

So yeah, maximum liberty and a lack of market interference, the two core tenants of Libertarianism, directly conflict with one another. Which is why it's an interesting concept to talk about when you're in college high on micro-brews and doing 'not fucked in the ass by life' math in your head, but it crumbles once you take it out of the theoretical micro-level and start to layer reality over top of it. Drinking Beverage

Somewhere far away, in a warm, padded room, ol' Lumi is weeping, because the straightjacket keeps his hands too far from his dick to compose a non-answer.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
20-08-2015, 02:59 PM
(20-08-2015 11:43 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Somewhere far away, in a warm, padded room, ol' Lumi is weeping, because the straightjacket keeps his hands too far from his dick to compose a non-answer.

[Image: pu0kd.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-08-2015, 05:22 PM
(20-08-2015 11:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 09:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  Do you like to be sheeple?

Do you like being a troll? Consider

No,
Now your turn to answer: do you like to be sheeple? baaaaa-baaaaa
Do you need someone to provide for you some steak?
Aren't you kind enough to give charity to your fellow citizens without some politician in Washington DC?
Aren't you smart enough to figure out what fair is? do you need Shepard(politician) to figure this out for you? baaaaa-baaaaa

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
20-08-2015, 05:29 PM
I am not Libertarian. I am Conservative.
I don't need Obama to tell me what fair share is. Fuck off Obama.
I don't mind to pay taxes but government has very limited responsibilities.
I am feminist. I don't need sugar daddy - government for every need.
hey, government, secure my country, protect me from danger but do not stick your nose in every aspect of my life.
Even in USSR people had more freedom than we have now in the USA. The more regulations the less freedom. What a shame.

there are free men and there are kings men.
Sheeple are kings men. People are free men.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED