First LEGALLY Recognized Pastafarian Wedding In NZ

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-04-2016, 06:35 AM
Exclamation First LEGALLY Recognized Pastafarian Wedding In NZ
First Recognized Pastafarian Wedding In New Zealand.

Congratulations to Toby Ricketts and Marianna Young—their wedding was was the first legally recognised Pastfarian wedding in New Zealand. "Ministeroni" Karen Martyn, who became the world’s first legal marriage celebrant for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) earlier this year, wedded the couple.

New Zealand is one of the few places in the world that formally recognizes The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as a religious organization.

On the other hand; In the US, Nebraska’s District Court says Pastafarianism is not a legitimate religion. More specifically, the court denied a prisoner’s request to practice his religion (FSM), because it is a "satirical argument", not a legitimate religion.

[Image: court.png]

How can this be when so-called "True Believers" make up a such small percentage of mainstream religions as well? The obvious difference apparently is that Pastafarians are more honest when they don’t hold a literal view of their religion as do Christians and Muslims etc.

Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
20-04-2016, 06:43 AM
RE: First LEGALLY Recognized Pastafarian Wedding In NZ
It's ironic that in Nebraska Pastafarianism is held not to be a legitimate religion, and yet scientology is.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
20-04-2016, 09:06 AM
(20-04-2016 06:35 AM)SYZ Wrote:  More specifically, the court denied a prisoner’s request to practice his religion (FSM), because it is a "satirical argument", not a legitimate religion.

I'm curious what the legal definition of "legitimate religion" is. On a colloquial level, it seems to be a "you know it when you see it" sort of thing. Most people consider Buddhism a religion, yet it doesn't worship any gods. Is simply "being spiritual" a religion? What if someone claims adherence to a "real world" religion that is currently defunct, such as the ancient Egyptian pantheon?

I mean, I get why they're making that claim, but how do they word it in such a way that is both enforceable and that doesn't suddenly nullify a bunch of religions they otherwise consider legitimate?
20-04-2016, 05:00 PM
(20-04-2016 09:06 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(20-04-2016 06:35 AM)SYZ Wrote:  More specifically, the court denied a prisoner’s request to practice his religion (FSM), because it is a "satirical argument", not a legitimate religion.

I'm curious what the legal definition of "legitimate religion" is. On a colloquial level, it seems to be a "you know it when you see it" sort of thing. Most people consider Buddhism a religion, yet it doesn't worship any gods. Is simply "being spiritual" a religion? What if someone claims adherence to a "real world" religion that is currently defunct, such as the ancient Egyptian pantheon?

I mean, I get why they're making that claim, but how do they word it in such a way that is both enforceable and that doesn't suddenly nullify a bunch of religions they otherwise consider legitimate?

If the world was a logical place, governments would not "recognize" ANY religion.

But, as long as wankers are running the show, they'll make special exceptions for idiots who believe in such drivel......................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-04-2016, 06:15 PM
See, now that's how to have a wedding. That's a wedding everyone can go to and have fun. Fuck this 10 grand on a "big" wedding with $200 table center pieces. I don't know a single person who's married who talks about their wedding day that goes on and on about how fantastic the table center pieces are.

You're better off doing something fun and cheap and using that money for something like the honeymoon or a deposit for your first home.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post