First Look at Noah

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2012, 07:02 PM
RE: First Look at Noah
A movie about a story in the bible has nothing to do with theism? I would figure the movies section is about all movies so, yes it would be appropriate for that section but seeing as the movie is about a story in the bible, that also makes it a theism topic.

I don't get what the confusion is about, but then again I don't get why people believe the bible is true or any other religious book for that matter.

Justin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kinger's post
14-08-2012, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2012 07:09 PM by Jeff.)
(14-08-2012 06:27 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 05:45 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is about a movie and has nothing to do with atheism and theism.

Noah...flood....bible....two by two....god.....creationism

I don't get how you're missing it

KC, now that I'm at my keyboard I can type a fuller answer. The thread provides the context for the type of discussion desired. If I wanted to discuss the movie as a movie - the acting, cinematography, etc. then the Movies area would be appropriate. But my interest is in discussing the movie in the context of the general conversations here on atheism - what does a biblical myth being brought to the big screen mean, how will believers react, what does it do to the general culture, how could/should atheists react, etc. Also, the thread serves to just alert atheists to the existence of this movie, again not as a piece of entertainment, but as another brick in the believer's wall.

Perhaps this attention is better aimed at the person showing how to turn a bible into a christmas tree. That's also in the AT area.
14-08-2012, 07:31 PM
(14-08-2012 07:05 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 06:27 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Noah...flood....bible....two by two....god.....creationism

I don't get how you're missing it

KC, now that I'm at my keyboard I can type a fuller answer. The thread provides the context for the type of discussion desired. If I wanted to discuss the movie as a movie - the acting, cinematography, etc. then the Movies area would be appropriate. But my interest is in discussing the movie in the context of the general conversations here on atheism - what does a biblical myth being brought to the big screen mean, how will believers react, what does it do to the general culture, how could/should atheists react, etc. Also, the thread serves to just alert atheists to the existence of this movie, again not as a piece of entertainment, but as another brick in the believer's wall.

Perhaps this attention is better aimed at the person showing how to turn a bible into a christmas tree. That's also in the AT area.

If this is the case, would you show the same attention to Wrath of the Titans or Immortals?

It's just that this is simply a movie adapted from a story that happens to be in the Bible... there is no Christian ulterior motive.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-08-2012, 07:43 PM
I don't remember anyone getting as worked up over the "Clash of the Titans"

I can however see the film made like this.
- Russell is chopping down a tree (cut) shows scene of entire forest leveled. (cut) Russell is making a plank from one of the trees (cut) a few hundred thousand planks appear (cut) Russell begins to assemble a plank (cut) ship is done.
Russell blows a large horns and animals from all over the world instantly appear and begin boarding the boat like very slow moving zombies all in a line (like you see in story books)
The inside of the ship is like that of the TARDIS from Doctor Who and contains enough room to house not just two of every species but instead every animal on the flat side of the earth.
You know, so populations can continue to exist.
Noah even built a strip club in one of the areas of the ship to house all the strippers. I'm sure glad they didn't go extinct in the great flood.

Noah made a deal with god that is unknown to many people. He asked god if could recreate all the insects and especially the termites. That many species of insect all on one boat.
It's not pleasant.

The rains came and as people rushed to their own boats, they found that Noah (at god's request) had punctured holes in all of them all over the world in one night, kinda like Santa Claus.
Not only did the rains flood the world, but they flooded the entire universe, killing all the stars in the night sky.
He sailed the world with his wonderful boat of animals and they had many adventures until one day they hit a massive iceburg killing everyone on board.

"But Grandpa, that can't be true"
Yes, I know. It's not true. It's just a story.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
14-08-2012, 07:52 PM
(14-08-2012 07:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  there is no Christian ulterior motive.

How do you know this?
14-08-2012, 08:00 PM
First Look at Noah
(14-08-2012 07:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 07:05 PM)Jeff Wrote:  KC, now that I'm at my keyboard I can type a fuller answer. The thread provides the context for the type of discussion desired. If I wanted to discuss the movie as a movie - the acting, cinematography, etc. then the Movies area would be appropriate. But my interest is in discussing the movie in the context of the general conversations here on atheism - what does a biblical myth being brought to the big screen mean, how will believers react, what does it do to the general culture, how could/should atheists react, etc. Also, the thread serves to just alert atheists to the existence of this movie, again not as a piece of entertainment, but as another brick in the believer's wall.

If this is the case, would you show the same attention to Wrath of the Titans or Immortals?

It's just that this is simply a movie adapted from a story that happens to be in the Bible... there is no Christian ulterior motive.

Liar! Charlatan! Fraud! You theists are all the same. Trying to cheat old people out of their money!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-08-2012, 09:27 PM
(14-08-2012 07:52 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 07:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  there is no Christian ulterior motive.

How do you know this?

...the director is an atheist.

The Passion had an ulterior motive. The Gospel of John had an ulterior motive. Fireproof had an ulterior motive.

Noah does not.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Huh Who even looks at what forum a thread is in?Huh

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-08-2012, 09:48 PM
(14-08-2012 08:00 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 07:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  If this is the case, would you show the same attention to Wrath of the Titans or Immortals?

Liar! Charlatan! Fraud! You theists are all the same. Trying to cheat old people out of their money!

Atheist *high five*

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
14-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Thumbs Down RE: First Look at Noah
I would like to see true historical based films that show what the professional archeologists believe happened during many of these events.

http://www.noahs-ark-flood.com/otscholr.htm

Could you imagine a movie illustrating Jesus as a crazy preacher who just hated the Romans because they invoked such hardship on the local people?
That would be a Gandhi type story and I believe much better than the bastardized myth in the Bible.
This Jesus guy could have been a real hero and a PERSON to be admired. Consider

Instead we have god on a stick. Yea, that's really interesting stuff there. Drinking Beverage

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post