First Successful Auditory Brain Stem Implant (This is amazing)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Video First Successful Auditory Brain Stem Implant (This is amazing)
A 3 year old Charlotte boy, born completely deaf, has become the first person in the nation to undergo a successful auditory brain stem inplant which now allows him to hear. The video of him hearing his father's voice for the first time is amazing.

Suck on that one, faith healers!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
21-06-2013, 08:07 AM
RE: First Successful Auditory Brain Stem Implant (This is amazing)
(21-06-2013 07:50 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  A 3 year old Charlotte boy, born completely deaf, has become the first person in the nation to undergo a successful auditory brain stem inplant which now allows him to hear. The video of him hearing his father's voice for the first time is amazing.

Suck on that one, faith healers!

That is so cool. I thought they were gonna say he had a cochlear implant,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant
but they bypassed the entire inner structure of his ear and put it in (a specific section of) his brain stem.
Will be interesting to see a follow-up in 12 -24 months to see how much speech he will be able to catch up on.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm actually surprised at this. Didn't think we were at the stage where we could reliably implant into the brain in a way that lasts. All tech like this that I've seen has a extremely short lifespan when compared with a human lifespan.

As far as I know all stuff hooked up directly to the brain eventually get degraded either due to surrounding cells dying or buildup on the probes blocking the signal.

Do they need to open his head up periodically to redo the implant? Is this a short term thing?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
21-06-2013, 08:36 AM
These implants appear to have been done on adults before: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_brainstem_implant

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
21-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Wow. This is so incredible - I'm verklempt. Shy

Heart What a sweet little guy - he signed his astonishment, too!

He was born without the bridge nerves... Consider ... as long as they continue to stimulate all the connecting areas, one would think natural brain development would adapt and develop new connections.

I'm thinking of the way the brain rehabilitates after a stroke - it often develops it's own workaround. However, there has to be something there previously for the brain to develop the workaround. It has to follow protocol but if it has nothing to go on, like someone being born without established connections, it has no reason to even do the workaround.

Maybe they are just hoping for this to be the stimulus up until they see the firings taking place once the brain has reached a greater level of development.

Very exciting!!! Aside from all the science stuff... that is such a sweet little boy. I hope they don't have to mess with his headset too much - I want him to have as normal a childhood as he can - he seems so smart and eloquent with his little hands! Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
21-06-2013, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 10:16 AM by kim.)
(21-06-2013 10:06 AM)kim Wrote:  Wow. This is so incredible - I'm verklempt. Shy

Heart What a sweet little guy - he signed his astonishment, too!

He was born without the bridge nerves... Consider ... as long as they continue to stimulate all the connecting areas, one would think natural brain development would adapt and develop new connections.

I'm thinking of the way the brain rehabilitates after a stroke - it often develops it's own workaround. However, there has to be something there previously for the brain to develop the workaround. It has to follow protocol but if it has nothing to go on, like someone being born without established connections, it has no reason to even do the workaround.

Maybe they are just hoping for this to be the stimulus up until they see the firings taking place once the brain has reached a greater level of development.

Very exciting!!! Aside from all the science stuff... that is such a sweet little boy. I hope they don't have to mess with his headset too much - I want him to have as normal a childhood as he can - he seems so smart and eloquent with his little hands! Shy

I think he will be treated well; his mother sounds rational and loving, thankful for the medical science. These are good people who fostered and adopted.

I sincerely wish them all well.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Yes - his parents certainly appeared to be very geared toward normalcy for him. What a great family. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-06-2013, 11:08 AM
He lives in my city-that clip has been making the rounds locally- most of my FB friends have shared it, etc.

The advances in medicine are so exciting to watch and I'm thrilled for this kid.

Did you happen to hear the newscaster at the end? "this is all part of their faith journey"

the praise to the imaginary sky god never stops in this town.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
21-06-2013, 12:08 PM
I noticed that "faith journey" comment. Is that something from the family specifically or is that some local religious shit which people or this news telecast is into? Neither parent made any comment relating to anything but the medical and technological advancements. One has to wonder where that came from.

21-06-2013, 12:22 PM
CNN interview Thanks to God. Confused

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller