First Time Poster, Long Time Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2016, 10:13 PM
First Time Poster, Long Time Athiest
Hi All!

Just getting my feet wet. Been busy engaging the Tod Starnes fans on Foxnews.com, and wanted to find a home to post some of my better stuff. Every so often I find a gaping hole in the logic of religion, and while I realize I probably didn't come up with any of it first, I would like to disseminate it for review.

My background is simple--my parents allowed me to choose my religious affiliation(s) from the time I was 7. I opted out of all of them.

By the time I was in HS, I was a known Atheist in Southern Baptist Land.

Talk about FUN!!!

Early in college I converted to Christianity. Next, I found a girlfriend and realized that the whole, "Thou shalt not enjoy your penis nor any part of her" was a rule I was just not that enthusiastic about. Also saw the hypocrisy of other Christians and was not impressed.

Left Christianity, and have spent the last 3 decades wishing Christians would stop trying to rule the Universe and bring back the Dark Ages.

I do ... suspect ... that there is some spiritual aspect to the Universe. Something more than just the hard sciences contemplate. What it is... dunno. I do sometime practice rituals with Native Americans or Wiccans, but it is more the "man in nature" aspect than any deities. The fact we are a part of Nature cannot be denied, so I am comfortable with all nature-based (i.e. pagan) religions.

Aside from that, looking for a home to bounce ideas around. Miss discovering new Hitchens videos on YouTube--hope I will find novel ideas here to fill the void.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2016, 11:18 PM
RE: First Time Poster, Long Time Athiest
Welcome to TTA.

Step right in.

07-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Welcome. Points for being a Wombat.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
07-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
08-02-2016, 12:43 AM
Hello! Big Grin

As some one who's culture actually includes/has 'Wombats'.. I'm not going to spread any rumors.
08-02-2016, 01:02 AM
Hello!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-02-2016, 08:35 AM
(07-02-2016 10:13 PM)The Magic Wombat Wrote:  Just getting my feet wet. Been busy engaging the Tod Starnes fans on Foxnews.com, and wanted to find a home to post some of my better stuff.

Welcome. Faux news?, eh? Do you wear a helmet for when you bash your head against a wall?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
08-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Welcome aboard!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
08-02-2016, 10:46 AM
(08-02-2016 08:35 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(07-02-2016 10:13 PM)The Magic Wombat Wrote:  Just getting my feet wet. Been busy engaging the Tod Starnes fans on Foxnews.com, and wanted to find a home to post some of my better stuff.

Welcome. Faux news?, eh? Do you wear a helmet for when you bash your head against a wall?

In fairness, I get ideas from them. Sometimes their posts are so insipid that they point out a failing of the Christian "Logic" that is just too rich to pass by. I.e. because they are soooo backed into a corner they say something that is technically Biblically accurate that no thinking person would ever state because the normal incongruity filter we have in our brains stops us before we utter the words.

But they write them down!

And that to me is gold!