First Trans Deacon Appointed in Methodist Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2017, 09:23 AM
First Trans Deacon Appointed in Methodist Church
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/06/08/uni...er-deacon/

Good for them (the newly appointed deacon) I guess. I can't imagine ever wanting that. Especially after this:

Quote:“There was a conversation of 400 clergy in Texas about whether or not they could prove I was having sex,” Barclay told The Washington Post.

That person is brave, I'll give them that. Driving through to where they want to be, even though they know they aren't wanted by so many. But still- I don't understand the desire to hold to religion when you're a SGM individual.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Emma's post
08-06-2017, 09:45 AM
RE: First Trans Deacon Appointed in Methodist Church
Well, its something I guess. I want to say "step in the right direction" although I'm not sure after the comment about the clergy members debating about them having sex or not.

I'd imagine it'd going to be hard for them should the congregation find out/know but hopefully it brings some narrow minded people around to "reasonable" thinking at the same time.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
08-06-2017, 09:46 AM
I witnessed the "almost" trial (never happened as a really fine "pro-bono" lawyer, who's my parent's neighbor, told the Episcopal Bishop to just leave, and find something else to do, as he would end up spending his IRA/retirement, which he did, and became the head of a big charitable foundation, so it turned out well) of a cleric who actually was accused of something he could not have done. One idiot bishop said "canon law requires we hold a trial". It could have ruined his life. Fucking self-righteous church ladies. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-06-2017, 12:37 PM
(08-06-2017 09:23 AM)Emma Wrote:  http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/06/08/uni...er-deacon/

Good for them (the newly appointed deacon) I guess. I can't imagine ever wanting that. Especially after this:

Quote:“There was a conversation of 400 clergy in Texas about whether or not they could prove I was having sex,” Barclay told The Washington Post.

That person is brave, I'll give them that. Driving through to where they want to be, even though they know they aren't wanted by so many. But still- I don't understand the desire to hold to religion when you're a SGM individual.
Based on my contact with Methodism via my late / previous wife and her extended family, I would expect this to be met with seriously mixed reactions by the denomination at large. Methodism is, in the main, much more liberal in urban congregations than in rural ones. What will be REALLY interesting is when they appoint their first trans minister, because despite local Methodist churches being largely self-governed, ministers are assigned to each congregation from the national level.

I well remember my in-laws' rural Methodist congregation being ... shall we say, challenged ... by the appointment of (*gasp*) a FEMALE minister to their congregation in the late 1990s. No matter that the male pastor being replaced was a turd. No matter her sterling qualifications.

To their credit I will say that after a somewhat frosty / huffy start, they came to love and appreciate her, and she remained with them for well over a decade. She ended up officiating at my wife's funeral, and I liked her a LOT better than her predecessor, who had presided over our marriage.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
08-06-2017, 02:56 PM
My wife and in-laws are Methodists, and their pastor is female. They love her. I've met her a few times... nice lady.

They also teach science-- real science-- to the kids, in several of their "discover God's creation" Sunday School outdoor classes, which they have on nice-weather Sundays, as well as during Vacation Bible School.

I'd be fighting a lot harder to shield my sons from indoctrination if they were any other denomination, methinks.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
09-06-2017, 04:08 PM
(08-06-2017 09:23 AM)Emma Wrote:  http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/06/08/uni...er-deacon/

I have said since the early 80's. let the ltgb-whatevers go start their own church. They could probably make a lot of money too. just like other literal theist thieves.
09-06-2017, 04:26 PM
(09-06-2017 04:08 PM)AB517 Wrote:  

I have said since the early 80's. let the ltgb-whatevers go start their own church. They could probably make a lot of money too. just like other literal theist thieves.
Let's see how this holds up for other groups:

Let the women go start their own church. Leave us men alone.

Let the elderly go start their own church. Leave us young alone.

Let the children go start their own church. Leave us adults alone.

Let the poor go start their own church. Leave us wealthy alone.

Yeah, sounds inclusive, welcoming and loving, just as Jesus commanded.

Should we add the thought that these new churches should be "separate but equal"? Should we put "Gay only" or "Elderly only" or whatever over the doors?

Maybe we should not start new churches but have separate but equal services for certain groups. Or at least separate restrooms. We could call it the First Church of the Frigidaire. "Where many are cold, but few are frozen".
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
09-06-2017, 06:54 PM
(09-06-2017 04:26 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 04:08 PM)AB517 Wrote:  I have said since the early 80's. let the ltgb-whatevers go start their own church. They could probably make a lot of money too. just like other literal theist thieves.
Let's see how this holds up for other groups:

Let the women go start their own church. Leave us men alone.

Let the elderly go start their own church. Leave us young alone.

Let the children go start their own church. Leave us adults alone.

Let the poor go start their own church. Leave us wealthy alone.

Yeah, sounds inclusive, welcoming and loving, just as Jesus commanded.

Should we add the thought that these new churches should be "separate but equal"? Should we put "Gay only" or "Elderly only" or whatever over the doors?

Maybe we should not start new churches but have separate but equal services for certain groups. Or at least separate restrooms. We could call it the First Church of the Frigidaire. "Where many are cold, but few are frozen".

you can take anything you want to extremes mord. turn any rational idea into a bad thing. the only idea I was pushing is that gays can have can have their own christian church.

they have the freedom to have their own church or not. maybe people that want a church can have their own church.
09-06-2017, 07:05 PM
I don't think Christian Homosexuals want to make their own church as much as they would like to be accepted by the wider religious community.

Just a speculation.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 3 users Like Cosmo's post
09-06-2017, 07:36 PM
(09-06-2017 07:05 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I don't think Christian Homosexuals want to make their own church as much as they would like to be accepted by the wider religious community.

Just a speculation.

luckily they are getting their way near me. To me, all people get the same rights and we change laws to meet that end. That doesn't mean self sacrifice to the point of self destruction tho.