First current player on a major American team sport comes out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2013, 12:33 PM
First current player on a major American team sport comes out
History was made today: the first athlete currently playing on a major American team sport has come out as gay. Jason Collins of the NBA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/sports...s-gay.html

I like Kobe's reaction:

Kobe Bryant was the biggest star to proclaim his support for Collins, tweeting: “Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don’t suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others.” Bryant added two hashtags: “courage” and “support.”

What do you think? Will Collins have a hard time? How will the fans react?

I wonder if this will spur other gay players in the NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB to finally come out.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
29-04-2013, 12:38 PM
RE: First current player on a major American team sport comes out
Good on him! Of course people are going to be hard on him, not only people that will not like him, but also those who now be expecting him to be the Jackie Robinson of the gay-player movement. This is the first step towards the rest of the sports.

I also think this is the next biggest step towards the end of anti-gay movement in the US (at least). Who is the most likely to not support gay men? Besides dividing this on religious terms, I would say the biggest group still against gay men (and I say gay men in particular since this group is not against lesbians) is heterosexual men. The irrational discontent of gay men is (I think) most prevalent among those who are straight men. They think a guy being gay is a threat to them somehow. But what if their favorite player in any given sport were gay? If gay men were recognized as the same as a straight man, and no less athletic and no less likely to talk about sports with you over a beer, then it would go a long way for heterosexual men to become comfortable with gay men.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
29-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Good for him. He should be allowed to be true to himself. I think whether or not other athletes come out will be dependent upon the fans' reactions. It's simple risk v. reward. With him being in the NBA, I think the fanbase will be more understanding and supportive than with Nascar or the W.W.F. (Bible belt homophobes).

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 2 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
29-04-2013, 01:46 PM
A very positive step. If gay people are seen as role models, the end of discriminatory laws and attitudes will just be a matter of time.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-04-2013, 02:17 PM
I heard about that. It's a relief for everyone involved to simply be honest. Everyone he worked with probably already knew he was gay, anyway. Now they can relax and just do what they've always done; play their game and inspire kids to be themselves 100 percent. For real. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
29-04-2013, 03:24 PM
(29-04-2013 02:17 PM)kim Wrote:  I heard about that. It's a relief for everyone involved to simply be honest. Everyone he worked with probably already knew he was gay, anyway. Now they can relax and just do what they've always done; play their game and inspire kids to be themselves 100 percent. For real. Thumbsup

Hopefully in a few years a sports figure coming out will be like Anderson Cooper last year. Everyone had just assumed he was already out and treated it as the nonevent it was.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post