First day of school jitters...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2013, 04:14 PM
First day of school jitters...
Tomorrow is the first day of school for my little munchkins (okay one is not so little - she's 12) and I am nervous as all get-out for them. They're going from a 1A school (we're talking six-man football here, people!) to a 5A school.

The 1A school had Pre-K through 12th grade all on one campus.

The 5A school has multiple elementary campuses, a few intermediate campuses and then one each of middle school and high school.

We moved closer to town (okay, we moved in town) for a number of reasons - mostly to get away from my nosy, interfering mother, but also to try and get a better education for our children (my daughter is dyslexic) and to be closer to mine and my husband's work. It's been a great decision so far, but I am so freakin' nervous for tomorrow.

They're good kids and they both seem to make friends easily - we can be at Peter Piper's or some other similar establishment where kids can play and intermingle and we'll leave there with their each having made a new "friend" and still I'm nervous.

My worse nightmare would be for them to come home tomorrow, us ask them how their day went, and for each of them to cry and tell us they hate us and why did we have to move? My mom seems to think I'm cold-hearted and emotionless (I'm not - I feel things quite strongly, it's just that my emotions burn deeper and not right at the surface; I, for instance, rarely cry but that certainly does not mean I am never sad) and that I don't care how the move affected / will affect my children, but I do. I'm worried.

Anyway. Just thought I'd reach out to my fellow heathens for some cyber-hugs or something.

I would ask for prayers, but you know... that shit don't work. Wink

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2013, 04:34 PM
RE: First day of school jitters...
I'm sure the little heathens will do just fine. Thumbsup

If they're as sociable as you describe, a bigger school just means more opportunities for more friends. I'm sure they're quite nervous too, but it sounds like they have a lot of loving support behind them so I wouldn't worry too much.

Here's a hug for ya anyway. Hug

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Well,i dont have advice but i have Hug

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
27-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks, guys. Y'all are the best.

Well, this morning went... okay. Oldest was nervous when the bus showed up - nearly didn't get on it! - but she did so we'll see how she does. My son was as cool as a cucumber, though. Because we live so close to his school, he had to be dropped off, and just before we let him out, he goes, "Do I look nervous?" I looked back at him and this is essentially what I get: Cool lol He said that yeah, you're nervous but you just talk to someone so that eased my nerves.

I'll let y'all know how their first day went!

27-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Hug Hope things go well for your little ones!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
28-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Okay, so just to report: their first day went well! Phew...

My daughter's bus ran late coming back home from school so I worried a bit there, but it was just some first-day confusion going on so no problem there. She liked her classes, saw some girls she knew from summer camp and sat with them at lunch, was thrilled to find out that the cute boy she'd seen some few weeks ago in our neighborhood is in middle school, and of course told me about the other cute boys in attendance at her school, and about the guy who talked to her in one of her classes.

So she was overall pretty excited, I think. One girl in one of her classes gave her the "eye" if you will, so I just advised daughter to stay away from her, but other than that and a little confusion getting her lunch money to the right place and finding a couple of her classes, it was smooth sailing.

The boy, well. He was still cool as a cucumber after school. Said it was good and he made friends. That was about as much as I could get out of him. Tongue

Thanks guys for your well wishes. I'm much less frazzled and nervous today on their second day.

28-08-2013, 07:22 AM
You have awsome kids !

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
28-08-2013, 09:05 AM
(28-08-2013 07:22 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  You have awsome kids !

Yeah, they're cool. Most of the time. Tongue