First day on the new job...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2012, 07:55 PM
First day on the new job...
Interesting first day.

A former office manager came in to train me this morning and planned to do the same tomorrow. We fire up the computer and open one document and then the accounting software...we are going along and she is giving me the short version of how they do things. I am asking questions and taking notes.

Then, up pops a screen saying that it's from the FBI, site approved by McAfee, very well put together, and the webcam fires up. Reading through it's saying that we must get some sort of cash card from a store (and it listed some very well-known stores along with their logos) pay cash for it and enter the code onto the page to be able to unlock the computer. It's saying we have been busted for illegal downloads and it's sending my image to the FBI. WTF! Can't get off that page. Can't control/alt/delete...nothing. We weren't even online. We forced the computer to shut down and restarted it only to have it go back to the same page. We are STUCK!

Dispatcher looks it up and it's new virus and we can't do a damn thing about it. So we call the computer repair company who come out and end up taking the computer with them...chances are good that the backup done last Friday is also infected. CRAP...I need to do payroll tomorrow, sales tax is due by Friday, not to mention other bills. Great start!

Hoping computer will be back in the morning or the spare one the owners have can be loaded with what I need so I can actually learn a little more from the lady training me tomorrow morning. After that she is out of town the rest of the week.

It's a test...to see how well I can handle pressure. Good grief.

So it was an unproductive day except that I got a lot of filing done that the woman I am replacing had been stockpiling. Once over this hurdle, I think I am going to like it there.

Thirty minute commute, which is great around here...jeans or whatever I want pretty much as far as dress code. Thrilled with the pay although the vacation time is kinda sucky. Oh well, this is so much better than I have had the last couple years. Small but nice and clean office. It's gonna be okay.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
16-07-2012, 08:17 PM
RE: First day on the new job...
That's a pretty full-on first day! Ohmy

Now everything from now on will seem like a piece of cake Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
16-07-2012, 08:17 PM
(16-07-2012 07:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Interesting first day.

A former office manager came in to train me this morning and planned to do the same tomorrow. We fire up the computer and open one document and then the accounting software...we are going along and she is giving me the short version of how they do things. I am asking questions and taking notes.

Then, up pops a screen saying that it's from the FBI, site approved by McAfee, very well put together, and the webcam fires up. Reading through it's saying that we must get some sort of cash card from a store (and it listed some very well-known stores along with their logos) pay cash for it and enter the code onto the page to be able to unlock the computer. It's saying we have been busted for illegal downloads and it's sending my image to the FBI. WTF! Can't get off that page. Can't control/alt/delete...nothing. We weren't even online. We forced the computer to shut down and restarted it only to have it go back to the same page. We are STUCK!

Dispatcher looks it up and it's new virus and we can't do a damn thing about it. So we call the computer repair company who come out and end up taking the computer with them...chances are good that the backup done last Friday is also infected. CRAP...I need to do payroll tomorrow, sales tax is due by Friday, not to mention other bills. Great start!

Hoping computer will be back in the morning or the spare one the owners have can be loaded with what I need so I can actually learn a little more from the lady training me tomorrow morning. After that she is out of town the rest of the week.

It's a test...to see how well I can handle pressure. Good grief.

So it was an unproductive day except that I got a lot of filing done that the woman I am replacing had been stockpiling. Once over this hurdle, I think I am going to like it there.

Thirty minute commute, which is great around here...jeans or whatever I want pretty much as far as dress code. Thrilled with the pay although the vacation time is kinda sucky. Oh well, this is so much better than I have had the last couple years. Small but nice and clean office. It's gonna be okay.

Sounds great and good thing the super was there when the virus happened, so no one thinks you brought it on. Sounds like a lot of responsibility for a new employee, with the super out of town. No doubt you'll ace it though! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-07-2012, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 08:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-07-2012 07:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's a test...to see how well I can handle pressure. Good grief.

Shit, ain't like you ain't been in high pressure situations before. You sumo now Anjele. Your bosses likely ain't. Work it. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-07-2012, 09:04 PM
It'll work out, I just have to learn everything I can this week. Generally it will be just a dispatcher and me in the office and he is being replaced next week...so I guess I will be the senior person in the office after one week.

The woman I replaced and dispatcher are both being let go for one reason...they don't seem to want to show up for work on a regular basis or even on time when they do/did bother to come in.

If nothing else, I am dependable.

16-07-2012, 09:11 PM
(16-07-2012 09:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It'll work out, I just have to learn everything I can this week. Generally it will be just a dispatcher and me in the office and he is being replaced next week...so I guess I will be the senior person in the office after one week.

The woman I replaced and dispatcher are both being let go for one reason...they don't seem to want to show up for work on a regular basis or even on time when they do/did bother to come in.

If nothing else, I am dependable.
Wow, what's wrong with people? If you don't like a job, find another. It's better than being sacked and without one.

It's very good for you, tho! Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
16-07-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't know...they really don't know how good they had it. The pay is much better than any of the other jobs I have had in the last few years and those I have been applying and interviewing for. They will find out soon enough.

It is a small company without a lot of frills but to me the pay is worth it, and from what I can see, it's not going to be hard or too heavy a workload...not even close.

And since it's an HVAC company, I am in at the busiest time of year...I would imagine that winter can get a little too slow for my taste but I can always ask to help with other things.

Even now the dispatcher spends most of his time surfing the internet and playing games.

SMH!

17-07-2012, 02:10 AM
What you should have don is called Filox, I would have told you how to clean your comp.

First of all, your virus protection sucks. Well, not yours, but your company's.

Your solution is the Comodo Internet Security.

Also, the IT guys that had to take your computer away for a few days just to fix the virus problem are not really bright, or they just want to take money from your new firm.

When they come back, ask them to disable the AUTORUN feature in Windows, that way your computer will not get infected again as soon as someone puts in their USB drive/stick.

Ask them what kind of protection (anti-virus) they've put in, then report that back to me, so I can tell you did they just screw the company over, just for money, or they actually did something.

There.

Smile

Oh how much work is there for me, around the whole world, just waiting... Damn.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
17-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Computer returned...hooked up..worked for two hours...virus back.

At least I got payroll run. And the payroll taxes paid.

They brought in an old computer for me to use and are ordering me a new one, should have it by the end of the month.

What a start!

Just shake my head and chuckle...sure, why should it be easy!