Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-06-2016, 08:45 AM
RE: First post on any forum ever + a jump straight into the action
(07-06-2016 07:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 06:21 AM)packmax Wrote:  Hi!

In short, I'm 28 yo Estonian male with hc religious upbringing in Evangelical Lutheran family. I've had my doubts for long, but only recently, within last year or so, I've started to do research on my own and have basically let go of christian faith.

Now I'm facing a new problem where lots of close religious people come up with their questions, trying to debunk my atheistic view, and I fail to come up with reasonable answers. I feel like I am a poor debator and I totally freeze when I get into a discussion concerning religion and thus I am looking for assistance from this forum. I do read books, listen to debates and podcasts etc., but I haven't gathered enough knowledge and/or confidence to say out loud my thoughts.

I guess I should post my first question elsewhere (as soon as I have become more familiar with this forum and forums as a concept), but I'll share it anyway:

Brother-in-law: "I know that christians are often accused of circular reasoning, but how can YOU trust your senses in an atheistic worldview? Isn't trusting in your senses based on belief in itself? Aren't you thus guilty of circular reasoning yourself?"

Packmax: "I don't know, I have to dig into this"

Thanks in advance!
-Packmax (Gotta come up with a photo and signature etc.) Smile

There's an easy solution to all that. Don't see yourself as trading in one worldview for another. But rather as trading belief for a lack of belief. Present yourself as someone who merely lacks a belief in religious claims about reality, god, etc. There by letting you off the hook for having something to argue as an alternative. And placing the burden squarely on the religious, to defend, and convince you of their position. Because you yourself have no particular position to defend or argue for. Your atheism shouldn't be presented as a belief that God/s doesn't exist, but a lack of belief that God/s exists.

This seems to work well for many people here, and it'll likely work well for you.

It works because it's the honest position. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post