First potentially habitable Earth-sized planet confirmed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 05:17 PM
RE: First potentially habitable Earth-sized planet confirmed
Great! We have found Kolob!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2014, 05:19 PM
(17-04-2014 05:17 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Great! We have found Kolob!

Idk about that.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-04-2014, 05:21 PM
(17-04-2014 05:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 05:17 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Great! We have found Kolob!

Idk about that.

Oh yeah? Prove me wrong Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
17-04-2014, 05:27 PM
(17-04-2014 05:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 05:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Idk about that.

Oh yeah? Prove me wrong Tongue

Lol well Kolob is supposed to be "the highest and slowest moving of a series of concentric heavenly spheres, which are centered on Earth." How can it be Kolob if its 490 light years away.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-04-2014, 05:39 PM
(17-04-2014 05:27 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 05:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Oh yeah? Prove me wrong Tongue

Lol well Kolob is supposed to be "the highest and slowest moving of a series of concentric heavenly spheres, which are centered on Earth." How can it be Kolob if its 490 light years away.

Angry Kepler-186f = Kolob!

Both start with the letter "K"! How much clearer can this be? Don't doubt me earthling.

Speculative astronomy:
Several LDS authors have attempted to situate Kolob within modern astronomy. Two LDS authors have published books speculating that Kolob is a star at the Galactic Center, Sagittarius A*, of our own Galaxy.[36] This view also had the support of several former general authorities, including J. Reuben Clark,[37] George Reynolds and Janne M. Sjödahl.[38] In the mid-19th century, early efforts to find a central single "central sun" in the galaxy[39] resulted in failure. Lynn M. Hilton, an LDS author, speculates that Kolob may be in the midst of 15 governing stars as well as several million "celestialized" planets that lie at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy in a massive cluster.[40]
Another LDS author has hypothesized that Kolob exists outside the Milky Way Galaxy at a place called the "metagalactic center", and that this galaxy and other galaxies rotate around it.[41] Within mainstream astronomy, the idea of a metagalactic center was once assumed,[42] but has been abandoned because on large scales, the expanding universe has no gravitational center.
Another LDS author has speculated that Kolob is Polaris.[43]

17-04-2014, 05:43 PM
(17-04-2014 05:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 05:27 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Lol well Kolob is supposed to be "the highest and slowest moving of a series of concentric heavenly spheres, which are centered on Earth." How can it be Kolob if its 490 light years away.

Angry Kepler-186f = Kolob!

Both start with the letter "K"! How much clearer can this be? Don't doubt me earthling.

Speculative astronomy:
Several LDS authors have attempted to situate Kolob within modern astronomy. Two LDS authors have published books speculating that Kolob is a star at the Galactic Center, Sagittarius A*, of our own Galaxy.[36] This view also had the support of several former general authorities, including J. Reuben Clark,[37] George Reynolds and Janne M. Sjödahl.[38] In the mid-19th century, early efforts to find a central single "central sun" in the galaxy[39] resulted in failure. Lynn M. Hilton, an LDS author, speculates that Kolob may be in the midst of 15 governing stars as well as several million "celestialized" planets that lie at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy in a massive cluster.[40]
Another LDS author has hypothesized that Kolob exists outside the Milky Way Galaxy at a place called the "metagalactic center", and that this galaxy and other galaxies rotate around it.[41] Within mainstream astronomy, the idea of a metagalactic center was once assumed,[42] but has been abandoned because on large scales, the expanding universe has no gravitational center.
Another LDS author has speculated that Kolob is Polaris.[43]

Lol well it seems like the LDS know more about space than NASA.

17-04-2014, 05:51 PM
(17-04-2014 12:54 PM)kim Wrote:  Cygnus - I'll have to see if I can locate the constellation.
Probably very dim at best.
Wish there was a closer one. Shy

Cygnus is smack-dab in the summer Milky Way - not really visible until about late May in the wee hours. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2014, 05:56 PM
I disagree.

I think that would be the second potentially habitable Earth-sized planet.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-04-2014, 06:04 PM
(17-04-2014 05:56 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I disagree.

Drinking Beverage

I was going by the title of the article haha. What would be the first though?

17-04-2014, 06:29 PM
(17-04-2014 06:04 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 05:56 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I disagree.

Drinking Beverage

I was going by the title of the article haha. What would be the first though?

Facepalm

YAY! Well, it was only a matter of time before an earth-like planet was confirmed by Kepler, too bad it isn't able to keep collecting data. Sadcryface2 Kepler was/is my favorite satellite, it's contribution to future science I think is completely understated, this is our generation's Moon Landing in my humble opinion. With the data it managed to collect before experiencing its gyro failure we should be able to get a solid understanding of the statistical distribution of planets around stars, which will HOPEFULLY lead to follow-up projects! Since we now confirmed another Earthlike (sized... it could be another Venus) planet out there, the next step is looking for them closer to us (and maybe then analyzing atmospheres with spectroscopy). Kepler is just the beginning. So excited for the future of space exploration! Big Grin

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post