First potentially habitable Earth-sized planet confirmed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 06:33 PM
RE: First potentially habitable Earth-sized planet confirmed
(17-04-2014 06:29 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 06:04 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I was going by the title of the article haha. What would be the first though?

Facepalm

YAY! Well, it was only a matter of time before an earth-like planet was confirmed by Kepler, too bad it isn't able to keep collecting data. Sadcryface2 Kepler was/is my favorite satellite, it's contribution to future science I think is completely understated, this is our generation's Moon Landing in my humble opinion. With the data it managed to collect before experiencing its gyro failure we should be able to get a solid understanding of the statistical distribution of planets around stars, which will HOPEFULLY lead to follow-up projects! Since we now confirmed another Earthlike (sized... it could be another Venus) planet out there, the next step is looking for them closer to us (and maybe then analyzing atmospheres with spectroscopy). Kepler is just the beginning. So excited for the future of space exploration! Big Grin

I agree! and Science is so exciting! Thumbsup

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Therefore God exists

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Just Another Atheist's post
17-04-2014, 07:15 PM
(17-04-2014 07:14 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Therefore God exists

Lmao, that made me laugh so much for some reason.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-04-2014, 09:02 PM
(17-04-2014 12:17 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  NASA's Keplar has discovered an Earth Sized Exoplanet orbiting within a habitable zone of another star. They say water in liquid form could exist on the planet. Very fascinating.

Link for article: phys.org

I just downloaded an EPUB entitled The Crowded Universe: The Search for Living Planets (2009) that deals with this subject. I tried to attach it to this post, but the website won't let me because it doesn't recognize the file type.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2014, 09:05 PM
(17-04-2014 09:02 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 12:17 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  NASA's Keplar has discovered an Earth Sized Exoplanet orbiting within a habitable zone of another star. They say water in liquid form could exist on the planet. Very fascinating.

Link for article: phys.org

I just downloaded an EPUB entitled The Crowded Universe: The Search for Living Planets (2009) that deals with this subject. I tried to attach it to this post, but the website won't let me because it doesn't recognize the file type.

No worries, i'll check it out!

17-04-2014, 09:06 PM
(17-04-2014 06:04 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 05:56 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I disagree.

I think that would be the second potentially habitable Earth-sized planet.

Drinking Beverage

I was going by the title of the article haha. What would be the first though?

Hint:
Go outside. Look down.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 3 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
17-04-2014, 09:45 PM
You know, It's pretty funny because about the time we actually have have the technology to get people there easily and quickly, we won't need to look for "habitable" planets, and we could just terraform them.
Or atleast that's what happened so far when we got there... (read my title.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
20-04-2014, 11:11 PM
I'm waiting for the discovery of a flat planet. There are arguments to be made that a flat planet will have a better chance of housing life than a round one. For example, civilizations that may arise on it won't annihilate themselves over disagreements about its shape. So any life will still exist by the time we find it there.

As our powers of far image resolution improve we'll also be able to gauge the intellectual progress of life on such a planet by whether a fence has been built around the perimeter, or whether it has been left unguarded. A truly advanced civilization will also keep the fenceposts clear of weeds and in good repair, although we may not be able to perceive detail to that level.

Anyway, finding all these round planets is getting predictable. As Arthur Eddington pointed out, "Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine - it is stranger than we can imagine.”

Tongue
20-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Guys it ain't no planet. It's one of God's marbles.

Shhhhh, He lost a few during OT times. Took it all out on Noah's family. Keep it quiet guys. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post