First recorded name in history.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2015, 01:17 PM
RE: First recorded name in history.
(23-08-2015 06:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, this is interesting. You'd think it would be a king or someone of great importance, but no.

It was an accountant......named Kushim Laugh out load five thousand years ago.

I can't vouch for the research behind this but it's sounds reasonable.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...e-we-know/

Isn't it amazing that this tablet survived a world wide flood?!

LoL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2015, 01:20 PM
(23-08-2015 06:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, this is interesting. You'd think it would be a king or someone of great importance, but no.

It was an accountant......named Kushim Laugh out load five thousand years ago.

I can't vouch for the research behind this but it's sounds reasonable.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...e-we-know/

Isn't it amazing that this tablet survived a world wide flood?!

nuh-unhhhh it is ADAM, bible says so Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
22-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Darn Sumerians, speaking Sumerian before the Tower of Babel, even before the city existed!

Then they leave traces of their civilization all over Mesopotamia before the flood!

They are very naughty.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
22-09-2015, 03:37 PM
I'd have to look at my original source but I think the second recorded name in history was the name of a slave along with the name of another accountant. Those darned accountants! Always counting stuff and taking inventory.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
22-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Noted archaeologist, Israel Finkelstein cites the development of literacy for record-keeping as one of the principal signs of the emergence of what he calls "true statehood" as opposed to a local warlord/ tribal-clan amalgamation. Think of it as a polity reaching a size where the king can't hop on a horse and check on his property in a single afternoon. Record-keeping becomes essential and suggests that accounting, rather than prostitution, was the oldest profession... and with much the same purpose. Fucking the customer!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
30-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Wow, I always thought it was Enheduanna the Akkadian Priestess.

So, this tablet is actually nearly a thousand years older than her and her writings? Or am I missing something here?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
30-09-2015, 01:25 PM
(30-09-2015 12:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Wow, I always thought it was Enheduanna the Akkadian Priestess.

So, this tablet is actually nearly a thousand years older than her and her writings? Or am I missing something here?

She's the earliest, that I recall, who's well-attested as an author of any extended text.

The article back from the OP does spend some time on the idea - the oldest attested personal name would naturally come from the earliest surviving writings, and even from inception there would have been a lot more clerical grunt-work than highbrow royal or religious texts. So it's perhaps not surprising that a clerk or accountant's signature, or the names of the buyer and seller of some property (or the property/slaves themselves!) would be the oldest thing we can dig up.

... this is my signature!
30-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Although, given the millions of untranslated cuneiform tablets in museum basements all over the world, it's basically a given that there are older name-containing fragments out there. Not that the (im)precision of dating to within years or decades allows us to make very good comparisons.

... this is my signature!
30-09-2015, 03:39 PM
(30-09-2015 12:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Wow, I always thought it was Enheduanna the Akkadian Priestess.

She «invented» litterature so to speak, not signing documents. All the earliest written documents were designed for accounting. It's hard to make long calculus in your head, but much easier when written down. It's also handy to keep an exact record of your food production to plan ahead your next year.
30-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Here's the tablet. It's pretty cool.

[Image: ms1717_1.jpg]

It reads: 29,086 measures barley 37 months,
Kushim.

Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;