First recorded name in history.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 10:13 AM
RE: First recorded name in history.
(30-09-2015 03:39 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 12:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Wow, I always thought it was Enheduanna the Akkadian Priestess.

So, this tablet is actually nearly a thousand years older than her and her writings? Or am I missing something here?

She «invented» litterature so to speak, not signing documents. All the earliest written documents were designed for accounting. It's hard to make long calculus in your head, but much easier when written down. It's also handy to keep an exact record of your food production to plan ahead your next year.

Okay, that makes sense. I had just always heard that she was the first person to have recorded events in writing.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2015, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 11:59 AM by Tartarus Sauce.)
There's another candidate for earliest recorded name in history and he is indeed a king. Ancient Egyptian civilization transitioned through many different periods of varying levels of political hegemony in its 3000+ years of history, but the first Pharoah credited with uniting Upper Egypt and Lower Egyt under his rule is Narmer (although some credit this to Hor-Aha, his successor, instead) in the 31st century BCE, kick starting the Early Dynastic period of Ancient Egypt. It's theorized that Predynastic Egyptian rulers that reigned over autonomous regions before Narmer have a rather short history, perhaps a couple of centuries at most, but the earliest of these rulers we know the name of is Iry-Hor. He's dated to the century before Narmer, around the same period those Sumerian tablets mentioned in the OP are believed to have been made.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
02-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all that the first recorded name would appear on an invoice or receipt.
05-10-2015, 12:03 PM
(30-09-2015 08:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Here's the tablet. It's pretty cool.

[Image: ms1717_1.jpg]

It reads: 29,086 measures barley 37 months,
Kushim.

Thumbsup

Careful. Those Hitchenites will call you a heretic for not claiming aliens.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
05-10-2015, 01:44 PM
(23-08-2015 09:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 07:56 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Chas?

I almost watched all 10 minutes but I got about 45 seconds in and realized it was a loop. Weeping Facepalm

**Crickets** -- God
05-10-2015, 04:25 PM
(30-09-2015 08:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Here's the tablet. It's pretty cool.

[Image: ms1717_1.jpg]

It reads: 29,086 measures barley 37 months,
Kushim.

Thumbsup

This tablet must have come from a Sumerian grocery list.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
05-10-2015, 04:53 PM
(23-08-2015 07:56 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Chas?

Post of the year.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post