First step is admitting I have a problem!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2013, 01:14 PM
First step is admitting I have a problem!
I have become disenchanted with my catholic/christian upbringing and I am hesitant to tell my family, or friends. I have "leaned on my faith" for so long and in so many circumstances, I just dont think they would even believe me if I told them I was having major doubts. All that "strength" God gave me, wasnt somehow miraculously downloaded in my sleep, I had it all the time!

I prayed for years, desperately at times, and to no avail! Some say Im just mad at god and he has a plan.

What about MY plans??? I feel like I am the one in charge of MY LIFE and MY DESTINY not some unseen "superhero" or figment of my imagination implanted by brainwashed parents.

I cant be the only one who feels this way?

Am I??

MissGuided

Hou, TX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2013, 01:23 PM
RE: First step is admitting I have a problem!
Welcome to the forums, Miss.

You are definitely not the only one who feels that way, although since you live in Texas, it might seem that way. I live in Utah, Mormonville USA, so I feel your pain.

By your use of "disenchanted" and from your reference to go as an unseen superhero figment of your imagination, I infer that you're well on your way to leaving that Christian upbringing behind and embracing the real world now? In which case, I'm happy for you. You're going to like the real world.

As for coming out to your family and friends, yeah, that's a tough one. Lots of folks here with good advice on that so I'll defer to their wisdom and experience, at least one of which I lack.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
22-02-2013, 03:11 PM
I feel exactly as you do.
I know the difficulty you are facing with trying to break out of religion. I come from a very Christian family and have felt pressure to be a Christian.
You know whether you believe or not. Listen to what your mind is trying to tell you. I didn't for awhile and this year walked out of youth group at least 3 or 4 times feeling stupid.
I just came to a point my life going into Senior year where I believe it was best to just let things happen on their own. I do agree with you in your belief of you are the big steering wheel in your life, not some God. You can't control every situation that happens to you, but you can control the way you choose to take it and how you act upon it.
So many issues are out of our control and it has nothing to do with a God guiding us.
Yes the theme in youth group changed from week to week, but I got so tired of always having to use Christ to solve every problem that I have. I would rather use my common sense.
I have been an Atheist twice. I was one as a Sophomore and then become one again going into Second Semester of Senior year.
The first time I told my mom I was an Atheist we were going through financial diffuculty. I believe looking back that's why she responded so bitterly to my beliefs.
I told my mom I was an Atheist again this year and she was more respectful about it. It was hard for her to take at first but later I think she came to accept it.
My advice it to stand up to your parents, and you can give a few reasons for your decision but don't go into every detail to avoid conflict.
The important thing is to really listen to what your mind is telling you and not what other's are telling you.

" If you're brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello" Paulo Coelho
"If you pray for rain it eventually does fall. If you pray for floodwaters to abate, they eventually do. The same happens in the absence of prayers" Steve Allen
22-02-2013, 09:11 PM
They'll believe you if you say you have doubts. They'll say they've been there too, but this or that cemented things in their minds. They'll tell you that God's ways are not our ways and that he is a mystery. They'll tell you that if you just keep praying and studying you'll see. Everyone has doubts, but many get past them.

I wonder if you'll relate to this guy's experience:

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.