First they came...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2011, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2011 10:37 AM by Thammuz.)
First they came...
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Martin Niemöller

One of my favorite poems. It summarizes what apathy and inactivity can do. That same inactivity is what gives rise to today's extremism in my opinion. We, the intellectual atheists, aren't doing enough to prevent the cancer of religion from deeply spreading in al political organs.

I just wonder, what can we do? what should we do?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post
28-04-2011, 07:45 AM
RE: First they came...
It has been said that, for a good man to be evil, it suffices to do nothing

(28-04-2011 07:40 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  That same inactivity is what gives rise to today's extremism in my opinion.
I seriously doubt that the world is worse of then years ago. Atheism and secularism is no the rise.

On what do you base your fear?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-04-2011, 07:53 PM
RE: First they came...
I'm tired of this poem. Everyone uses it as the go-to poem for their cause and changes a few words to make it apply to their situation and it's just getting tired. In its proper context it's alright but it's far from amazing.

As for your question the only thing we can do is answer questions and be cool, raging atheists only make raging theists worse and vice versa but just let people come around to the idea on their own, if they will, and that will suffice. As comedian Daniel Tosh put it, "Has anyone ever actually won a debate?"