First time fostering a dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2014, 03:23 PM
First time fostering a dog
I know there are quite a few TTA members here with quite a bit of doggie knowledge.

I am looking for some tips for the first few days of fostering, till I can get an idea of this dogs temperment and personality.

I have not met him yet, and have very few details at this point.

Here's what I have been told so far:
- he came into the shelter as a stray
- he is about 3 yrs old
- he will be neutered before release, and up to date on shots, etc
- he is a cane corso. (Spelling?)I haven't heard of that breed and don't know anything about them.
- he is super sweet, ok with other dogs and cats.
- his name is Kane
- he is scheduled to be transferred to a rescue in Philly on April 12, they just needed someone to take him for a few weeks. Apparently he has to be out of the shelter for a week before transport. ??
-- he is underweight and currently at 73 lbs

I have two kids 8 and 10 that are good with animals and following instructions, but they are still just kids.

All the other dogs I have owned we had since pups and have been family dogs in their temperaments (happy go lucky Labradors, Irish setters, etc)

What are some things I should pay attention to in those first 24-48 hrs until we get comfortable with each other and figure out manners and personality or any issues?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2014, 03:29 PM
RE: First time fostering a dog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_Corso

Quote:Temperament[edit]
The Cane Corso is not recommended for novice dog owners. As a puppy, it requires strong leadership and consistent training. Its natural instinct is to be suspicious of strangers and for this reason it is highly encouraged to begin socialization as soon as possible. Ideally the Cane Corso should be indifferent when approached and should only react in a protective manner when a real threat is present. Cane Corso form a close attachment with their owner.

Sounds like this could be a tough foster. They are hunting dogs so you are going to want to keep everything as lowkey as possible around him until he gets used to you.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-03-2014, 03:32 PM
(29-03-2014 03:23 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I know there are quite a few TTA members here with quite a bit of doggie knowledge.

I am looking for some tips for the first few days of fostering, till I can get an idea of this dogs temperment and personality.

I have not met him yet, and have very few details at this point.

Here's what I have been told so far:
- he came into the shelter as a stray
- he is about 3 yrs old
- he will be neutered before release, and up to date on shots, etc
- he is a cane corso. (Spelling?)I haven't heard of that breed and don't know anything about them.
- he is super sweet, ok with other dogs and cats.
- his name is Kane
- he is scheduled to be transferred to a rescue in Philly on April 12, they just needed someone to take him for a few weeks. Apparently he has to be out of the shelter for a week before transport. ??
-- he is underweight and currently at 73 lbs

I have two kids 8 and 10 that are good with animals and following instructions, but they are still just kids.

All the other dogs I have owned we had since pups and have been family dogs in their temperaments (happy go lucky Labradors, Irish setters, etc)

What are some things I should pay attention to in those first 24-48 hrs until we get comfortable with each other and figure out manners and personality or any issues?

The last time I had a pet, which was a cat, it had a pretty shady backround and had problems with anxiety. It was jumpy and piss scared of everything at times. My advice doesn't matter much since I've never had a dog, but I would be looking for signs of anxiety because of that stray backround.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
29-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Every photo I have seen of him, his head seems way too big for his body, lol. Not sure if it's camera angle or not

[Image: 13496016093_2658788bcb.jpg]

[Image: 13496090163_b1ddd301f3.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
29-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Let him get acclimated to your home and yard at his own pace. If he seems standoffish, sit nearby and let him come to you. That goes for your kids, too.

If he seems calm and checks things out and then picks out a spot to flop down put his leash on him and take him out for a brisk walk. This is not a 'check out every bush in the neighborhood' walk. This is a "I'm the boss and you're the dog" walk. Keep him on a short leash by your side and just keep going at a comfortable pace.
All you want to establish is that you are the pack leader. If the rest of the family is available they should come along.

Don't worry if he doesn't eat the first day or so. He won't starve.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
29-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Research the breed online and check out temperament. However, remember that he hasn't the 'normal' life that they get their temperament guidelines from. See if you can talk to some other foster parents.

My cousin and her wife foster dogs and cats along with having their own animals. Right now they have the most adorable black lab/dauchshund mix that looks like a super short black lab.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/cane_corso/index.cfm

If you go to breed rescue at the bottom of the page, there is an email for Cane Corso rescue...maybe you can get some guidance or even a local foster for some insight.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy