First time here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2013, 07:09 PM
First time here
Hello all! This is my first time in this forum. I have been checking in on the site for a time for a few months now.
I am what I guess I would now call a "recovering evangelical." I have been for some time now, when I think about it.
I spent 18 years as a "committed christian" and I have gotten so tired of so much of it... from christians themselves to the the dogma itself.
This is a really weird time in my life. I never thought I would be going in this direction, or that I would ever be visiting an atheist website or reading books about people who have made their way away from fundamentalist evangelicalism. I just wanted to know if anyone else had ever done this or been where I am. Surprise! There are more out there than I thought.
I am fortunate enough to have a family that doesn't believe the basic christian beliefs (about the bible and jesus and such) so they are actually happy that I am getting out of the bubble. I feel that way myself - that I have been in a protective bubble for years, and now I am finally really seeing what's actually around me. I am not planning to become atheist so far, but from what I have seen and heard here, it seems like I can talk about my frustrations with christianity and NOT get told I am going to go to hell. Some things I have learned about non-christians is just NOT true. My family is a bunch of moral people (not christians). There are such disturbing things in the OT part of the bible and the answers christians give just are not good enough. Telling me to just "stop reading the OT and just read more comfortable sections" isn't a good enough reason. The view of women in the bible is just disturbing as well. And the similarities I didn't know between the bible and myths are crazy to learn about. Not to mention the contradictions.
Okay, this is long enough. I just wanted to get this said and introduce myself and just have conversation with others out there like me, or who have been where I am.
Thanks for listening! Hope to hear from some of you!
Kim
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kimmie78's post
08-12-2013, 08:27 PM
RE: First time here
(08-12-2013 07:09 PM)kimmie78 Wrote:  Hello all! This is my first time in this forum. I have been checking in on the site for a time for a few months now.
I am what I guess I would now call a "recovering evangelical." I have been for some time now, when I think about it.
I spent 18 years as a "committed christian" and I have gotten so tired of so much of it... from christians themselves to the the dogma itself.
This is a really weird time in my life. I never thought I would be going in this direction, or that I would ever be visiting an atheist website or reading books about people who have made their way away from fundamentalist evangelicalism. I just wanted to know if anyone else had ever done this or been where I am. Surprise! There are more out there than I thought.
I am fortunate enough to have a family that doesn't believe the basic christian beliefs (about the bible and jesus and such) so they are actually happy that I am getting out of the bubble. I feel that way myself - that I have been in a protective bubble for years, and now I am finally really seeing what's actually around me. I am not planning to become atheist so far, but from what I have seen and heard here, it seems like I can talk about my frustrations with christianity and NOT get told I am going to go to hell. Some things I have learned about non-christians is just NOT true. My family is a bunch of moral people (not christians). There are such disturbing things in the OT part of the bible and the answers christians give just are not good enough. Telling me to just "stop reading the OT and just read more comfortable sections" isn't a good enough reason. The view of women in the bible is just disturbing as well. And the similarities I didn't know between the bible and myths are crazy to learn about. Not to mention the contradictions.
Okay, this is long enough. I just wanted to get this said and introduce myself and just have conversation with others out there like me, or who have been where I am.
Thanks for listening! Hope to hear from some of you!
Kim

Hi.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Welcome aboard. Hope you stick around for um.. A while.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
08-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Howdy!
You came to the right place Shy

08-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
08-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Hi, I lurked a while before I joined too.

Welcome!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

08-12-2013, 11:12 PM
(08-12-2013 07:09 PM)kimmie78 Wrote:  ...
I am not planning to become atheist so far,

Consider Interesting choice of words.

I don't think it works like that. Big Grin

Welcome to the skeptics' club. Have fun.

08-12-2013, 11:38 PM
(08-12-2013 07:09 PM)kimmie78 Wrote:  ...
I am not planning to become atheist so far, but from what I have seen and heard here, it seems like I can talk about my frustrations with christianity and NOT get told I am going to go to hell.
Kim

There is no hell; someone's tried to pull the wool over your eyes on that one. You can learn here, how to not let that happen again and you can say anything you want here. You will need a lot of time to get through this. This is a good place to get your head together. You'll figure it out; you're a Kim. Wink

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
09-12-2013, 07:23 AM
welcome to the forum. pull up a chair, make yourself at home.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
11-12-2013, 07:28 AM
(08-12-2013 07:09 PM)kimmie78 Wrote:  I am fortunate enough to have a family that doesn't believe the basic christian beliefs (about the bible and jesus and such) so they are actually happy that I am getting out of the bubble. I feel that way myself - that I have been in a protective bubble for years, and now I am finally really seeing what's actually around me. I am not planning to become atheist so far, but from what I have seen and heard here, it seems like I can talk about my frustrations with christianity and NOT get told I am going to go to hell.

it takes time for it all to unravel…..time to learn, time to think it over, time to look at topics from different points of view, time to research and time to think it over some more before actually figuring out what you feel is right. no need to do it all in a day.

welcome to life outside the bubble.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller