First time poster, long time atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2013, 01:10 AM
First time poster, long time atheist.
Greetings everyone. I've been an atheist as long as I could think for myself. And I've been connected to the internet since, I dunno, '98 I think. But I've only recently thought to put the two of them together. In fact, it was just months ago. I remember googling "atheist forums" for the first time and seeing a variety of options available. There seemed like 3 frontrunners at the time. So I picked one and became acquainted. Well, the topics are lively, abundant, and active. But the community seems unexpectedly hostile or cold. Not to say they are hostile or cold on the whole, but I just felt like I've had some decent ideas that have basically been this worm on a hook in a pond without fish. And I think "forum loyalty" isn't a strong enough force to allow good ideas to languish. So in all honesty, I'm here to try again.

And in fuller disclosure, two of those ideas were pitched just a couple hours ago. But the first couple responses have a trend of "more of the same." After the first couple ideas pitched, I've thought about checking out other forums, but I wanted to give them a fair shot. Tonight, I just thought, I don't want to wait and delay it further only to forget later.

So I acknowledge the 10 post rule before creating new threads. So expect some casual fluff to clear the bar. And when I get there, I'll basically lift from my other posts to introduce those ideas here, which are briefly the following:

-Atheist music.
-Atheist youtube video playlist, perhaps accompanied by some proper infrastructure (website).
-Atheist holiday.
-Addressing the deeper causes for theists' beliefs, and how to lower the barriers.

I think these are all solid ideas that can help to educate, inform, spread awareness about secular, rational reasoning, and the search for truth. And so I'm disappointed that a forum aimed at atheism has had such a tepid response to them. But who knows. Maybe they're not as good as I think. Or maybe it had too small an audience. Or maybe I didn't build the proper rapport first. Or maybe the ideas are too project-oriented in an environment that is simply more casual-internet chat. They are a little ambitious.

My first post, I believe, was one of these ideas (I had no reason/idea to join a forum before I thought of it, so I didn't join to chitchat; I joined to discuss the idea). But even though it was a pro-atheist idea in an atheist forum, I think it was seen a bit as spam. So we didn't jive well because I didn't fluff them first, I guess. Hopefully, the disclosure here serves more than to repeat the hostilities here. I feel I'm reasonable enough, and my reasons and intentions were good there, that I'll get a better shake here.

So greetings everyone. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on these ideas, and hopefully I may even get to work with some of you on them.

Cheers,
~Bryan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 09:00 PM
RE: First time poster, long time atheist.
Hmmm, I wonder if my candor or ambition scared you off. Or if maybe my ideas are more stale than I'm aware. Or if this was too long an intro. I also wonder if this counts as 1 of the 10 posts, that I may move ever closer to picking everyone's brain about all this. =P But I'd be surprised if I'm the only one passionate about my beliefs. And while there are double the members here, maybe they're not as active. Oh well. Slow and steady.
02-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Welcome.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Just like the real world, there are a variety of folks here. Some will be as eager as you to discuss. Some will only want to troll you. A theist or two will try to attack you. Hang in there. You'll find your voice. And read through some of the older topics. You may find you can add to some of these sorts of topics that have already begun to be discussed.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
02-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Atheist holiday? I don't honestly see the point, perhaps you can educate me on how exactly this is a good idea.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
02-04-2013, 10:13 PM
(02-04-2013 10:07 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Atheist holiday? I don't honestly see the point, perhaps you can educate me on how exactly this is a good idea.

What's to get? It's a day off school, fucker.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-04-2013, 11:02 PM
(02-04-2013 10:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 10:07 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Atheist holiday? I don't honestly see the point, perhaps you can educate me on how exactly this is a good idea.

What's to get? It's a day off school, fucker.

Thumbsup

You've put up a compelling point.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
03-04-2013, 01:47 AM
lol, I like the day-off remark. And thanks for the tip, Erxomai. Didn't know if it'd be safe to threadsurrect some older threads, but if that's kosher, I could easily piggy back some of them.

My intent for the "holiday" is less a "holy day" and more a celebration of reason and secularism and a way to draw attention to the issue, hopefully being respectful, and reasonable in the process.

Anyone pay attention to US politics here? During the SCOTUS trials over gay marriage, facebook started trending the "equal" logo in support. I sort of envision something like that on some sort of "national day of reason" or something along those lines. Plus, we could all show solidarity and show others it's okay to believe. And I think the people who would show their support would reveal a trend of highly educated people in the process. We're anywhere from 5 - 20% of America, depending on how you phrase the question. I think that percentage ought to grow. I aspire to elect an atheist president in my lifetime. So we can maybe start respecting science and truth more than religious dogmatism on critical problems like global warming and stem cell research.

So a holiday would help bring awareness and raise the ranks. The music could help seep it into the culture. The Deconversion (uprooting) could be an accessible way to reveal all the legs of religion that are all flawed. And I already have a decent youtube playlist to provide further arguments once the deconversion dismantles your fears. Would be great to live in a society where secular thought wasn't so outnumbered, particularly with poor evidence and bad ideas.
03-04-2013, 04:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 04:57 AM by DLJ.)
Welcome aboard, sir.

(03-04-2013 01:47 AM)Golbez Wrote:  ... threadsurrect

I'm gonna steal that one.

(02-04-2013 10:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What's to get? It's a day off school, fucker.

What was that about "hostile or cold"?

Just to clarify... is this day restricted to just Murikans or will it be international?

Anyway, youz buggerz haz already got one... 4 weeks from tomorrow...

"The National Day of Reason is a secular celebration for humanists, atheists, and other secularists and freethinkers in response to the National Day of Prayer, a legal holiday in the United States.[1][2] The day is celebrated on the first Thursday in May of every year, to coincide with the National Day of Prayer, which many atheist and secular groups view to be unconstitutional."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Day_of_Reason

Or to think of it another way...
If each religion has a day off (or two, or three) throughout the year (as they do over here), having a non-belief day will equate atheism with each religion i.e. equal status.

I prefer of to think of the year as almost completely secular with a few exceptions made to recognise myths, traditions and cultures as part of our collective history.

i.e. not equal status.

Yes

03-04-2013, 05:28 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by atheist music. Do you mean a whole new genre or just songs about atheistic subjects? If the latter then there are people who already sing such songs. Shelley Segal and bad religion are two that come to mind. There are also songs like Mother Father by Dave Mathews Band that have a irreligious message in there.

Just an outsider looking inn.