First time told I am going to hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 09:26 PM
First time told I am going to hell
I'm not very brash about my un belief and I try not to ruffle any feathers when I'm at work or at other social gatherings so I don't run into any issues generally. Just the other day though I was told by a believer who knew I was an atheist that I am going to hell. I've read many stories from others but this was the first time someone told me directly.
I had a mixture of emotions ranging from genuine laughter to downright anger. I tried to bring up a few arguments as to if it was fair or not that I'd go to hell but that didn't get me too far. I'm still processing these feelings and even though I'm not scared of going to hell it bothers me that someone actually believed this stuff.
Anyone care to share a story about your first time or any other time it was significant to you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2015, 09:33 PM
RE: First time told I am going to hell
(27-10-2015 09:26 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  I'm not very brash about my un belief and I try not to ruffle any feathers when I'm at work or at other social gatherings so I don't run into any issues generally. Just the other day though I was told by a believer who knew I was an atheist that I am going to hell. I've read many stories from others but this was the first time someone told me directly.
I had a mixture of emotions ranging from genuine laughter to downright anger. I tried to bring up a few arguments as to if it was fair or not that I'd go to hell but that didn't get me too far. I'm still processing these feelings and even though I'm not scared of going to hell it bothers me that someone actually believed this stuff.
Anyone care to share a story about your first time or any other time it was significant to you?

Did you ask them why they don't have to do what Jesus said "Judge not ... etc"., and since when and by whom were they given their god-powers ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Straight up, you're going to hell? They were wide open there.
Says who? I can't be saved any time between now and my deathbed? Don't YOU believe what's in your book? You could have cooked his or her ass proper.
27-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Research the evolution of hell. That shit is all made up, and the concept evolved (smirk) over time.

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/hell.html
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
27-10-2015, 11:25 PM
About 15 years ago I mentioned to someone that I was a free thinking kind of gal and the response was " how can you have any morals". I was so naive at the time, I didn't understand why on earth I would be immoral simply for not believing in a god. I still don't understand it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-10-2015, 03:44 AM
(27-10-2015 10:03 PM)skyking Wrote:  Straight up, you're going to hell? They were wide open there.
Says who? I can't be saved any time between now and my deathbed? Don't YOU believe what's in your book? You could have cooked his or her ass proper.
Yes there was talk of salvation and that this person was hoping I'd change my mind. My favorite part might have been when they said "I pray that you will follow your heart instead of your mind". Lots to have fun with there.
[+] 2 users Like Rkane819's post
28-10-2015, 04:34 AM
Won't be the last time.

Now you have time to reflect and think about a response for next time. Mine is usually either "okay" or "that's fine with me" and as quick an end to the encounter as I can manage. Many people don't know what to do with the argument when the target refuses to argue against the concept of hell and/or who deserves to go there.
28-10-2015, 05:17 AM
The last time I had somebody told me "If you don't believe you're going to hell" -- I told him that "his god had a thing or two to learn about marketing...... If the stupid fuck would take out some television advertising time, he'd have more believers........ Sounds like a stupid god to believe in -- I can see why you identify with him...."

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-10-2015, 11:32 AM
(27-10-2015 11:25 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  About 15 years ago I mentioned to someone that I was a free thinking kind of gal and the response was " how can you have any morals". I was so naive at the time, I didn't understand why on earth I would be immoral simply for not believing in a god. I still don't understand it.
Thanks for the opening. I've been working on my personal "atheist manifesto" for a couple of months. Here's the section on morality; it's a work in progress so feel free to comment:

"How, asks the believer, does the atheist distinguish right from wrong, good from evil? Without God and the 10 Commandments, where's the yardstick for measuring behavior? To begin with, the Golden Rule can be found in almost all settings, both religious and secular, throughout history, albeit the wording varies from one instance to another. The concept therefore appears to be universal. It's really a simple idea: I won't slap you because I don't want you to slap me back. But morality involves more than just the desire to avoid pain; compassion, empathy and affection often play a part. If nothing else, the vast majority of humanity, religious and otherwise, wants to be moral simply because most people are good and decent, and they like doing good for its own sake. The basic Christian doctrine of original sin is demonstrated to be wrong every time a non-Christian throws a few coins into the kettle at Christmas (aka Saturnalia)."
28-10-2015, 12:02 PM
When people tell my that I am going to burn in hell, I tell them that it is difficult to burn in a place that only exists in deluded people's imaginations.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post