Five years

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Five years
I just realized that I have now been atheist for about five years. I don't have an exact date, but I know it was some time after New Years on 2011 and before Lent.

And I can't honestly say that I've been atheist for five years, but rather, that was the time when I was finally able to let go of my religious beliefs without immense fear and/or guilt. I was finally ready to admit it to myself.

It's odd that in many ways, this feels like one of the most meaningful transformations in my entire life, and in some ways, it feels negligible. In a lot of ways, I am still pretty much exactly the same person I was before; I just justify my behavior and beliefs differently, now. I've become a lot more skeptical of a lot of things. I remember rethinking my stance on a lot of things six months after the fact, because I still found myself knee-jerking at things with a Christian mindset.

So, I feel both surprised that it's already been five years, and yet is also seems like it's been longer. In either case, my emotional health has been so much better since I let go, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

That is all. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 18 users Like RobbyPants's post
01-02-2016, 08:24 AM
RE: Five years
It is wonderful, isn't it? Living your life on your own terms. Being free. I'm so glad religion is out of my life too. Happy 5 year NoGod Anniversary!!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Congratulations...

And -- don't forget -- you were BORN an atheist as well. You wouldn't have picked up any religion for at least 3 or 4 years.... So that goes a few extra years towards seniority....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Very similar experiences here. Nice job, Robby.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
01-02-2016, 09:15 AM
(01-02-2016 08:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Congratulations...

And -- don't forget -- you were BORN an atheist as well. You wouldn't have picked up any religion for at least 3 or 4 years.... So that goes a few extra years towards seniority....

Big Grin

Sweet! The 27-year interruption doesn't count against me?

Looking forward to my improved bennies in Atheist Heaven (we have one too, right? That's what sold me on this atheism thing. I was told there'd be Black Jack and hookers.).
01-02-2016, 10:01 AM
(01-02-2016 09:15 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 08:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Congratulations...

Big Grin

Sweet! The 27-year interruption doesn't count against me?

Sorry, it's in your permanent record.

Quote:Looking forward to my improved bennies in Atheist Heaven (we have one too, right? That's what sold me on this atheism thing. I was told there'd be Black Jack and hookers.).

Yes, definitely. Keep the hope alive. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Don't forget the beer volcano, Chas.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
01-02-2016, 10:11 AM
(01-02-2016 10:05 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Don't forget the beer volcano, Chas.

I thought that was a secret only revealed to The Inner Circle®? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Good for you RobbyPants. I feel sorry for theists. That cross necklace christians wear around their necks is more like an anvil.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-02-2016, 12:18 PM
You should celebrate with wine, women and song! Or some similar combination of fun times. Big Grin

Congrats!

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]