Fivethirtyeight: College professors aren't killing religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2017, 01:24 PM
Fivethirtyeight: College professors aren't killing religion
College professors aren't killing religion

I thought the article was interesting. What struck me was how many people left their faith before the age of 18. I hear that a lot here, but from my own experience, I was in my early 30s, and I hadn't run into any serious questions until I went to college.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-10-2017, 02:40 PM
RE: Fivethirtyeight: College professors aren't killing religion
Of all the many criticisms weathered by institutions of higher learning, none has been as difficult to shake as the claim that a college education adversely affects religiosity

For dog sake it's not cause for criticism. Universities, that is places of learning and reason should help students with throwing of shackles of indoctrination. To criticize them for it* is just absurd I would say.

*Even if this is more perception than reality.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
10-10-2017, 02:47 PM
It rustles the majority of American's jimmies.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-10-2017, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2017 03:48 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(10-10-2017 02:47 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It rustles the majority of American's jimmies.

Seriously. When I was in high school back when I was a Baptist, they took we Seniors aside one day in Sunday School, and warned us how the atheist professors would try to kill our faith in God. It was a whole like 30 minute lecture about the evil atheists out for our souls. Tongue First class was with an adjunct in mathematics....and he bounced his sermon ideas off of us. Second class was bio with an adjunct, a preacher's wife who used a textbook that included a lot of Creation myths so she could teach Creationism in the classroom. Eventually I was the research assistant for a psych prof who was a Baptist minister. Worked also under a lovely pair of Catholics at one point who didn't wear their faith on their sleeves, as well as a Mormon bishop who did.

And now that I am the God's Not Dead/Matter of Faith villain (minus the atheism), the stereotype that this happens is still rankling. Last night I told a student not to worry about missing class when she had a religious observance to go to, and you'd have thought I slapped her across the face, from the look of shock that I wasn't upset.

Edit: Thanks RobbyPants, great read! Big Grin (Also posted this on FB as bait for an Evangelical Youth Minister...)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post
10-10-2017, 04:20 PM
I still believed in god when I entered college, though I'd decided it was immoral to worship that god and figured I was hell-bound. I never had a professor in any college class preach atheism (or religion, for that matter) at the liberal-leaning colleges I attended for undergrad and grad school.

I do remember the occasional Christian who felt the pressing need to evangelize to the class. Obnoxious Christian students did far more to distance me from Christianity than any professor.

I was interested in religions and theology/philosophy and took a number of courses in those areas. Getting deep into the sausage-factory aspect of religion--reading through the arguments that coalesced into creeds and dogma or exploded into schisms and heresy--that was much more of a factor in my change from believer to nonbeliever.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
11-10-2017, 04:15 AM
My only religious experience in college was when I heard about a group of christian football players who met together for regular meetings.

Was the oddest thing I ever heard of.
Essentially a book club that talks about the same book every single meeting. How it relates to football is beyond me.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
11-10-2017, 09:08 AM
(11-10-2017 04:15 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...
Essentially a book club that talks about the same book every single meeting. How it relates to football is beyond me.

No doubt discussing tactics regarding the movement of goal-posts...

... in mysterious ways?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
11-10-2017, 10:04 AM
When I was debating with a creationist online a few weeks back I asked him a question about the nature of science and didn't he think that the scientific method was the most reliable approach we have to establishing that which is true in understanding our universe?

In response he sent me a link to a Intitute for Creation Research web page which essentially has one of their guys - a physicist - effectively saying, "we can't trust the scientific method so whatever your college professors tell you don't believe them...."

The dishonesty and hypocrisy is astonishing.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 5 users Like Silly Deity's post
11-10-2017, 10:42 AM
(11-10-2017 04:15 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Was the oddest thing I ever heard of.

Because their god would rather help them win than deal with that pesky problem of starving people around the world.
12-10-2017, 08:52 AM
So this doesn't surprise me. My university is a public one, and the campus is VERY Christian friendly. There are a ton of Christian clubs and only one secular club which is dying (for reasons which are painful and unpleasant). There are preachers there most days, and there was one semester where outside of finals week (where the campus is closed and permits are not issued) every day we had preachers there.

To add to this a lot of my professors were very open about their belief. I had atheist professors, but I also had very vocal theist professors (one of which I'm trying to get to advise me on my thesis). In the humanities and social sciences the coursework was pretty blatantly favoring Christians and Christian worldview. They didn't lie, but they did refer to science as an alternate religious view and atheism as a religion. When it was pointed out that this was wrong the teacher refused to correct it.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post