Fivethirtyeight: College professors aren't killing religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2017, 10:46 AM
RE: Fivethirtyeight: College professors aren't killing religion
(11-10-2017 10:04 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  When I was debating with a creationist online a few weeks back I asked him a question about the nature of science and didn't he think that the scientific method was the most reliable approach we have to establishing that which is true in understanding our universe?

In response he sent me a link to a Intitute for Creation Research web page which essentially has one of their guys - a physicist - effectively saying, "we can't trust the scientific method so whatever your college professors tell you don't believe them...."

The dishonesty and hypocrisy is astonishing.

If you hold to the scientific method then you will have to agree that evolution cannot be observed, measured or tested.

Evolution is not compatible with the scientific method.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Thread temporarily closed.

Please be patient while I close this thread to split out the above post and merge it into one of the Jokes threads.

Wink

[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
14-10-2017, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2017 12:14 PM by Rockblossom.)
I started college way back in the '60's, and it was really a different world. The forms we had to fill out had a line for Religious Preference. For the first semester I left it blank, not knowing what it was for, or why it mattered. I got inundated with calls from almost every religious faction on campus. The second semester, I listed "atheist" - and got the same response - calls from nearly every church group trying to recruit me. I asked another non-religious student, and his advice was to list my religious preference as: "Reformed Druid" - because half of them would have no idea what that was, and the other half would be sure I was a worshipper of Satan and leave me alone. It worked, after a fashion. I got two calls. The first one was from someone who had no idea what RD was, but called anyway just to save my soul or something. I politely declined the offer, and a week later, I got another call from the same group (different person) who finally asked me what a "Reformed Druid" believed in. (And apologies to anyone who knows something about Druids and their actual beliefs, because my answer was deliberate nonsense.) "Druids worship trees, but Reformed Druids worship bushes." There was a pause, and for some unknown reason, I felt compelled to add:"There's also a splinter group that worships houseplants, but no one really takes them seriously." After which I got a rather faint: "Oh. Thank you." And she hung up, and I never got another phone call from any campus group. Thumbsup

But in class? I don't remember any Professor ever alluding to religion ever, except possibly in a Literature course where the prevailing religious thought had some impact on how the author saw the world. And they obviously didn't turn me into an atheist, since I already was one before I got there.
[+] 6 users Like Rockblossom's post
16-10-2017, 08:23 AM
(14-10-2017 11:23 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I started college way back in the '60's ... but Reformed Druids worship bushes.

It was the 60's. Everyone did. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
16-10-2017, 01:53 PM
(14-10-2017 10:46 AM)Eagle Wrote:  If you hold to the scientific method then you will have to agree that evolution cannot be observed, measured or tested.

Evolution is not compatible with the scientific method.

The evidence for evolution is overwhelming. Your utter ignorance of that evidence is obvious.
Evolution has been observed. Many times. Again, your ignorance of that fact is simply that, ignorance.

Your wilful ignorance and utter lack of any clue about evolution makes your opinions on the subject and on religion utterly ignorable. And when we look at the silliness that is Genesis, we see a scheme that is simply wrong, foolish and intellectually incompetent.

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post