Flag Flying and Loyalty Oaths

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2015, 04:28 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2015 04:32 AM by onlinebiker.)
Flag Flying and Loyalty Oaths
I was listening to the news the other day and heard that the Governor of this state is ordering flags to be flown at half mast - for some local soldiers that were killed. In a training accident.

I'm reminded of the "Great Loyalty Oath Campaign" in Joseph Heller's "Catch 22". In it, everyone is running around signing loyalty oaths, singing the Star Spangled Banner, and generally acting like a nudnick just to get served breakfast.

Everybody's trying to appear more patriotic than the next guy.

Don't they know that there's a protocol that used to be followed? For a flag to be flown at half mast - it's traditionally only for military officers of above Secretary of each branch of service - and for Speaker of the House and up....At least that's what I always thought ------

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7 (subparagraph m)

Apparenently not.... If this had been the case in 1941 - the flag would have been at half mast until sometime in 1977 or so....

I guess I'm just not patriotic enough.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-04-2015, 04:47 PM
RE: Flag Flying and Loyalty Oaths
You hate America! Smile
01-04-2015, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't do it. Fuck america, it is bad soldiers died though.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
01-04-2015, 05:11 PM
I've never been much for taking pride in being the member of a group. Whether it is an ethnicity, a nation, or a belief system. I personally don't get it. Something I earned on the other hand, such as being an alumnus of my university, or a member of my group of friends. That I can take pride in, just a little.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post
01-04-2015, 05:13 PM
I fly the flag on the appropriate holidays. Guess the time I spent in the service makes it mean something to me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
01-04-2015, 06:04 PM
As an Air Force Desert Storm veteran, I find the fetish over servicemen to be disturbing. We did our jobs. Nothing exalted about it. Killing people (or supporting those who did the killing, as was my experience) is nothing to glorify. And dying is one of the risks.

One of my fellow firefighters died in January of 1990, in a training fire. Did he give his life for his country? Hell yes. Was he a hero? Hell no.

All these folks wanting to exalt the veterans coming back with limbs missing and minds wracked by PTSD would serve those veterans better by either enlisting, so as to relieve the pressure of constant rotations, or voting for politicians who refuse to dance to the bugle of war.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-04-2015, 05:11 AM
George Carlin called the "patriotic" types "soldier sniffers"..... Appropriate....

The people that take such great pride in the country of their birth, and their military - only need look to Germany in the late 30's - to see what overdoing nationalism can lead to.....

It's EXACTLY like religion -- when you can "do no wrong in the cause because you're doing it for country" (god)......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-04-2015, 05:19 AM
I put out the flag for the appropriate holidays, getting behind this type of over-enthusiastic flag waving seems cultish to me.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
02-04-2015, 10:55 AM
(01-04-2015 04:50 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I wouldn't do it. Fuck america, it is bad soldiers died though.

Heh, fair enough.

Patriotism like most things is often taken too far.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
02-04-2015, 10:56 AM
(02-04-2015 10:55 AM)Spooky Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 04:50 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I wouldn't do it. Fuck america, it is bad soldiers died though.

Heh, fair enough.

Patriotism like most things is often taken too far.

Never got it for any country period. I guess if you fought for it maybe but other than that I just don't get it.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube