Flag burning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2015, 02:30 PM
RE: Flag burning
You don't fight bigotry through censorship. You fight it by responding with your own voice, through protest or boycotts.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-01-2015, 02:32 PM
If you paid for it - you can do whatever you like with whatever flag you've got.

It's YOUR flag.

Just don't leave the mess on somebody else's doorstep.

Attaching sovereignty to inanimate objects is a foolish waste of time.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
28-01-2015, 02:47 PM
In Portugal it is illegal to burn the country's flag, it is a crime and the penalty goes up to (I think) to one year in jail - However no one actually goes to jail for that since it's automatically suspended and you only need to pay a fine.

Other than that, I don't think burning anything is illegal, but it can be depending on the context. If you are burning gay flag it is not a crime, but if you are burning a gay flag and saying "kill all gays, gays are evil" and people who are listening end up doing it, you can be prosecuted for inciting hate speech.

I do not hold a particular opinion towards the "no burning the national flag" rule, on the one hand I realize it is free speech, but on the other almost no one does it and no one goes to jail for it; I do have a problem if immigrants come into my country and burn the flag, it's not nice, I'm not going to stop them, but it's a lack of respect in my opinion.

In my opinion burning something shouldn't be a crime unless that is a method to specifically promote hate and violence against a group of people or determined individuals. Burning a flag is... Meh it's boring, you seem all rebellious but it doesn't look good... As long as it's only burning, it's fine by me, just don't burn and tell people to kill a certain group, that can result in massacres.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
28-01-2015, 02:51 PM
(28-01-2015 02:47 PM)Blackout Wrote:  In Portugal it is illegal to burn the country's flag, it is a crime and the penalty goes up to (I think) to one year in jail - However no one actually goes to jail for that since it's automatically suspended and you only need to pay a fine.

Other than that, I don't think burning anything is illegal, but it can be depending on the context. If you are burning gay flag it is not a crime, but if you are burning a gay flag and saying "kill all gays, gays are evil" and people who are listening end up doing it, you can be prosecuted for inciting hate speech.

I do not hold a particular opinion towards the "no burning the national flag" rule, on the one hand I realize it is free speech, but on the other almost no one does it and no one goes to jail for it; I do have a problem if immigrants come into my country and burn the flag, it's not nice, I'm not going to stop them, but it's a lack of respect in my opinion.

In my opinion burning something shouldn't be a crime unless that is a method to specifically promote hate and violence against a group of people or determined individuals. Burning a flag is... Meh it's boring, you seem all rebellious but it doesn't look good... As long as it's only burning, it's fine by me, just don't burn and tell people to kill a certain group, that can result in massacres.

Still bullshit. It even the fine is saying "don't offend the state". It is a watered down blasphemy law, but a blasphemy law non the less.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2015, 03:14 PM
In this case it's not the State, but nation, it's really not the same if we analyse the concept, though states are nowadays always nations. I really don't care about it since no one gets arrested and when someone is charged, it only happens every 5 years or so... But the logic behind the no flag burning is, in the mind of the legislator, the same for the "no vandalizing monuments" rule-

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
28-01-2015, 04:31 PM
I was planning on burning the american flag, but it would be privately in an area I know does not offend people(or at least if they do see it, I was trying to do it out of their sight).

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
28-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Free speech is a tricky subject to enforce properly. Take shouting "Focus!" in a crowded theater. Many people feel doing so would constitute a free speech violation so just sit and whisper to their seatmate that "somebody should do something about the focus" and everyone is miserable for the entire length of the movie because the message wasn't made strongly enough.

Likewise, when it comes to flag burning, the act has been done so many times in so many venues it's become a hollow cliche. The police stand by idly while it's happening, unmoved, again, because there's no longer any force in the message, when if they took some initiative and did their proper duty, they'd be all over that flag burner for being ineffective. These days correct compliance with free speech laws as regards flag burning would require making a pyre of flags and using the flames to cook marshmallows, to give the act some punch. Then offer the roasted marshmallows to any observing police, or any other observers, as proof of strength of statement.
28-01-2015, 05:27 PM
I'm thinking about collecting a bunch of Bibles (many thanks to the Gideons for making them free) and going to Gainesville and burning them in front of Terry Jones church. Florida is open carry right? 'Cause I'm bringing my Mossbergs just in case.

#sigh
28-01-2015, 05:36 PM
That sounds fun... Film that shit
28-01-2015, 06:38 PM
(28-01-2015 05:00 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Free speech is a tricky subject to enforce properly. Take shouting "Focus!" in a crowded theater. Many people feel doing so would constitute a free speech violation so just sit and whisper to their seatmate that "somebody should do something about the focus" and everyone is miserable for the entire length of the movie because the message wasn't made strongly enough.

What are you taking about? I read this three times and..... seriously, I've got nothing. Who are these people that believe yelling "focus" is "a free speech violation "? And, what the heck is a free speech violation anyway? Very confusing.

Anyway, I'm with the folks who think people get too hung up on inanimate symbols. Burning a flag, or whatever, is a protected expression. It's not debatable. People don't have to like it, but tough noogies. You can put reasonable restrictions to protect public safety, but, beyond that, people are free to express themselves. At least in the U.S..

I wouldn't have it any other way. And, on the plus side, it gives the truly stupid among us the right to identify themselves so the rest of us can stay far away.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost