Flat Earth Society

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Flat Earth Society
Can anyone tell me why this-----> theflatearthsociety.org exists?

No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2014, 09:21 PM
RE: Flat Earth Society
(19-03-2014 09:06 PM)QUELSQUELS Wrote:  Can anyone tell me why this-----> theflatearthsociety.org exists?

No

[Image: stupid-people.jpg]

People are stupid!

Yes

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 16 users Like Crulax's post
19-03-2014, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2014 09:51 PM by Alex_Leonardo.)
It must be a poe.
If the earth is flat, why can't you see africa from east florida beaches?
This reminds me of christians saying:
"Religion had it right before science, because I says the earth is a sphere here "and god sat upon the circle of the earth." Isaiah 40:22
First mistake:
When the bible was written, ASTRONOMERS HAS ALREADY KNOW THAT THE EARTH IS A SPHERE.
Second mistake:
'Circle' is not a synonym for 'sphere.'
They could've meant the earth is flat but It's shaped like a circle. (Think of a circle rug.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
19-03-2014, 09:57 PM
(19-03-2014 09:21 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(19-03-2014 09:06 PM)QUELSQUELS Wrote:  Can anyone tell me why this-----> theflatearthsociety.org exists?

No

[Image: stupid-people.jpg]

People are stupid!

Yes

C'mon, that's gotta be fake!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
19-03-2014, 10:18 PM
I like their justification on the FAQ general info page

"The evidence for a flat earth is derived from many different facets of science and philosophy. The simplest is by relying on ones own senses to discern the true nature of the world around us. The world looks flat, the bottoms of clouds are flat, the movement of the sun; these are all examples of your senses telling you that we do not live on a spherical heliocentric world. This is using what's called an empiricist approach, or an approach that relies on information from your senses. Alternatively, when using Descartes' method of Cartesian doubt to skeptically view the world around us, one quickly finds that the notion of a spherical world is the theory which has the burden of proof and not flat earth theory. "

because it just makes more sense to base everything on your senses rather than actual science.
Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes QUELSQUELS's post
19-03-2014, 10:21 PM
What cracks me up about this is how some believers say the bible says the earth is round. I say we put these two groups into a room together. Two groups go in, one group comes out.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
19-03-2014, 10:30 PM
(19-03-2014 10:18 PM)QUELSQUELS Wrote:  I like their justification on the FAQ general info page

"The evidence for a flat earth is derived from many different facets of science and philosophy. The simplest is by relying on ones own senses to discern the true nature of the world around us. The world looks flat, the bottoms of clouds are flat, the movement of the sun; these are all examples of your senses telling you that we do not live on a spherical heliocentric world. This is using what's called an empiricist approach, or an approach that relies on information from your senses. Alternatively, when using Descartes' method of Cartesian doubt to skeptically view the world around us, one quickly finds that the notion of a spherical world is the theory which has the burden of proof and not flat earth theory. "

because it just makes more sense to base everything on your senses rather than actual science.
Thumbsup

I really hate when people use strawman on empirical evidence.
Like this Fake conversation between religious and non religious someone made to make fun of atheists: (R and NR)
NR: Can you see god?
R: No.
NR:That means he doesn't exist.
R: Can you see your brain?
NR: No
R: That means it doesn't exist.
Remember that this joke was supposed to be between a student ® and professor
(NR)
First of all, a professor wouldn't have said that. Here is what a real professor professor would have said:
NR: Do you observe god or have repeatable experiments that prove god is real, or have any evidence of god?
R: No...
(R sits down.)
Empirical evidence is what can be observed, whether with a scientific tool or your senses.
However people use a strawman and say "see" instead of "observe" to make people look stupid.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
19-03-2014, 11:24 PM
I'll grant them that the burden of proof relies on the sphere theory. And it has been met many many many times, and a couple of thousand times more

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
20-03-2014, 12:57 AM
I always thought it was a Poe job. Turns out not, according to wikipedia, although the Canadian branch *is*, just to confuse things Tongue

Quote:The Flat Earth Society of Canada was established on 8 November 1970 by philosopher Leo Ferrari, writer Raymond Fraser and poet Alden Nowlan.[28] The society was active until 1984.[29] Calling themselves planoterrestrialists,[30] their aims were quite different from other flat earth societies. With obvious humorous overtones, they claimed a prevailing problem of the new technological age was the willingness of people to accept theories "on blind faith and to reject the evidence of their own senses."[29] They did not actually believe Flat Earth theories, considering their proponents to be cranks, and indeed did not accept such people into their society, which was composed of quite a few prominent members of Canadian literary and political circles.

They published a newsletter, The Official Chronicle and promoted their ideas more widely through television and press. Its primary aims were "to combat the fallacious deification of the circle," "to restore man's confidence in the validity of his own perceptions", and "to spearhead man's escape from his metaphysical and geometrical prison."

As of 2003, Iris Taylor of I. Taylor Research has worked to reinstate the Canadian Chapter of the Flat Earth Society and recruit new members.[31]

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-03-2014, 04:22 AM
From their info/disclaimer page:

"The opinions and beliefs expressed in any posts do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of The Flat Earth Society Forum. The Flat Earth Society Forum's goal is to promote the free discussion of Flat Earth Theory as well as the free discussion of and debate of any topic of interest to our members that does not contradict Forum Rules."

I love how they refer to it as a THEORY. I lol'd a lot at that. Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post