Flat Earth Society

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2014, 09:06 PM
RE: Flat Earth Society
Again show this to creationist the fact that most of these guys are christian.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2014, 09:14 PM
(20-03-2014 05:48 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Anyone anywhere can send a small camera up into low orbit with a helium balloon and photograph the curvature of the earth for themselves; how to do it is on the net and on YouTube as well.

No, not 'low earth orbit', just high altitude.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-03-2014, 12:01 AM
(20-03-2014 09:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 05:48 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Anyone anywhere can send a small camera up into low orbit with a helium balloon and photograph the curvature of the earth for themselves; how to do it is on the net and on YouTube as well.

No, not 'low earth orbit', just high altitude.
Indeed. A little sloppy on my terminology today...

Chuck Yeager reported being able to see the curvature of the earth at ~100K'. He's still around to confirm his observation.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
21-03-2014, 02:54 AM
(20-03-2014 06:41 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Just had a look round on there... Initially I was encouraged by the amount of rational voices on there, but soon discovered the scale of the idiocy.

One member has a .gif type banner signature...

It says...

"Pope Innocent III, leader of the Catholic Church in England believed the Earth was flat... While Adolf Hitler, genocidal Nazi leader who ordered the deaths of millions, believed it was round... Who would you rather believe?"

I've seen some pathetic arguments in my time... Looks like we have a new champion.

No no not pathetic at all...of course there are only two peoples views I should consider...this Pope guy or Hitler. The wording of this very convincing argument leads me to conclude it would be better to believe this Pope fellow so...that's me convinced. I'm now off to tell everyone I know my new discovery, the earth is indeed flat because there is no way I'm going to believe the same things as genocidal maniac. Even if he is right about this.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
21-03-2014, 03:11 AM
All these points have been mentioned to them repeatedly in the past and they come up with all kind of extremely convoluted explanations. Normally they fall back on the whole conspiracy angle. This would include Chuck Yeager.

I did visit the site briefly once and saw someone who posted his own photos of a sailing ship going over the horizon. They still argued about it. I can't remember how.
21-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Hubby read this thread and told me that the flat-earth society's explanation for ships disappearing over the horizon is bendy light.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
22-03-2014, 07:50 AM
(19-03-2014 09:06 PM)QUELSQUELS Wrote:  Can anyone tell me why this-----> theflatearthsociety.org exists?

No
Perhaps its a sign that Evolution has some dead ends.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
22-03-2014, 02:20 PM
(21-03-2014 02:54 AM)Eva Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 06:41 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Just had a look round on there... Initially I was encouraged by the amount of rational voices on there, but soon discovered the scale of the idiocy.

One member has a .gif type banner signature...

It says...

"Pope Innocent III, leader of the Catholic Church in England believed the Earth was flat... While Adolf Hitler, genocidal Nazi leader who ordered the deaths of millions, believed it was round... Who would you rather believe?"

I've seen some pathetic arguments in my time... Looks like we have a new champion.

No no not pathetic at all...of course there are only two peoples views I should consider...this Pope guy or Hitler. The wording of this very convincing argument leads me to conclude it would be better to believe this Pope fellow so...that's me convinced. I'm now off to tell everyone I know my new discovery, the earth is indeed flat because there is no way I'm going to believe the same things as genocidal maniac. Even if he is right about this.

Of course... How silly of me.

Round earth.... Just pure evil.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Why are you so annoyed with the Flat Earth Society ?

ITS JUST A THEORY !

Happens to be wrong, but I don't need to state the blinding obvious.

What do the flat Earth Society think of flight MH370 ?
Did it fall off the edge after it ran out of fuel and hence cannot be found ?

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 2 users Like Baruch's post
23-03-2014, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2014 08:21 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(22-03-2014 02:39 PM)Baruch Wrote:  Why are you so annoyed with the Flat Earth Society ?

ITS JUST A THEORY !

Happens to be wrong, but I don't need to state the blinding obvious.

What do the flat Earth Society think of flight MH370 ?
Did it fall off the edge after it ran out of fuel and hence cannot be found ?

Don't tell CNN that, they'll be interviewing Flat-Earthers and asking them for their opinion, right after they're done with their hours long interview with psychics and mediums because this shit is totally legit. Facepalm

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]