Flat Earthers and Airplanes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2016, 05:06 AM
Flat Earthers and Airplanes
So I have a flat earther on my friend list. I asked him the question of how we can buy plane tickets to and from areas and they only take a certain amount time with the globe earth model, but going with the flat earth model the trips would take quite bit longer.

He responded by posting a video.

Now first I don't know that much about airplane trips and all that. So I'm not sure how to respond.

I did point something out however. The video is part of a series of videos called "Flat Earth Clues" by a guy named Mark Sargent. There's a bit of a cat fight scenario here. There are 2 groups: Flat Earth Society (FES) and International Flat Earth Research Society (IFERS). Apparently IFERS hates FES and accuses FES of being fakes or as IFERS puts it: the "controlled opposition". Mark Sargent is associated with FES. Now I wouldn't point this out to my friend, except I know that he is in the IFERS camp and has posted some things against FES. Mark Sargent Raging Shill

Now there might be a fallacy in pointing that out, not sure. But I promised I would actually watch the video (which I did) and get back with him (which I have not yet). Again, don't know much about plane travel. Thoughts?

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2016, 05:48 AM
RE: Flat Earthers and Airplanes
Have your flat earth friend explain Coriolis effect.

Example -- if you fire a rifle to the north - in still air - the bullet curves to the left. If you fire south - it curves to the right.

This is due to the earth rotating as the bullet travels it's arced (but linear) path.

The same goes for atmospherics in weather.

Also have him explain why the stars and sun move in an arc across the sky, rather than in a straight line.

If the earth was flat - he can explain either question - but not both.

If the earth is spherical - he can explain both at the same time.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 7 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-05-2016, 05:59 AM
Flat Earthers believe that you should rely on your own senses. But they ignore this when it comes to clouds. You can see a really large cumulus cloud really far away but only see the top of it. Whereas the cumulus clouds nearer to you will also have flat bottoms.

You can recognise the clouds that are further away because they are filtered to a greater extent because the light has to pass through more of the atmosphere.

Also just after sunset you can spot satellites in the night sky travelling across so this disproves their claim that NASA have never made it into space.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
13-05-2016, 06:19 AM
You can't see satellites...................

(with your head jammed up your ass)..

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-05-2016, 07:50 AM
I can't believe in 2016 there are actually people who believe the earth is flat.

I wouldn't bother responding to this moron. You can't argue with stupid. The amount of cognitive dissociation required to actually believe the planet is fucking flat renders this idiot immune from any and all logic.

Run away. Run so the stupid doesn't get on you.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
13-05-2016, 08:20 AM
There are flat earthers all around the world...

...wait... Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 14 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-05-2016, 08:22 AM
wouldnt days and nights be much shorter if the earth was flat? and whats on the other side anyways? do you just fall out into space if you jump off the edge of the earth?
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
13-05-2016, 08:26 AM
And why is the Earth supposed to be flat while we can look at other planets in the solar system and see that everything else is a sphere and has reached isostatic equilibrium?

None of them even try explaining why the Earth would be flat. A drop of water will become a sphere in space.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
13-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Ask him when the sun is over Hawaii why the light hits china and california but not Europe?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
13-05-2016, 09:05 AM
(13-05-2016 08:26 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  And why is the Earth supposed to be flat while we can look at other planets in the solar system and see that everything else is a sphere and has reached isostatic equilibrium?

None of them even try explaining why the Earth would be flat. A drop of water will become a sphere in space.

They're flat too, but they're round like dinner plates. God makes the flat side of the plate face earth all the time.... DUH!!!