Flat Earthers and Airplanes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2016, 09:09 AM
RE: Flat Earthers and Airplanes
Gotta love Sagan! But Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth in stadia, not kilometers. Smartass At least most people understand kilometers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadion_%28unit%29

I won't tell if you won't.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Oddly -- the flat earther's don't have any pictures of "the edge"......

On the other hand....

[Image: sunrise-in-space-400x270-MM-100.jpg]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-05-2016, 11:28 AM
(13-05-2016 05:06 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  

Now first I don't know that much about airplane trips and all that. So I'm not sure how to respond.

The narrator doesn't seem to realize that planes need to land and take on fuel.

He also doesn't seem to realize that non-stop flights are more expensive because you're limiting your customer pool to a smaller group of people -- and for that reason, flights in the Antipodes or any other isolated area make more sense including stopovers.

He's also assuming that optimal cruising speed is what airliners always fly at, but that's clearly not the case. Headwinds and tailwinds can change flight-times, as can other air traffic, and the fact is that it usually takes twenty to thirty minutes to exit or enter a traffic control area (you know, like an airport Smile) and that's on either end of the flight.

To make matters worse, he is using inflated speeds. The 777ER series -- which is the one which would be assigned long over-water routes -- has a cruising speed between 560 and 567 MPH, and a maximum speed of 587 MPH, not 630 mph cruising speed.

Additionally, his claim that the lowest cruising speed of any airliner is an Airbus at 593 mph is factually incorrect. There are many aside from the 777 which falsify this claim of his -- and which thereby throw off his numbers.

Finally, he ends with a Gish Gallop of conspiracy allegations without supporting any of them.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-05-2016, 12:00 PM
(13-05-2016 09:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Oddly -- the flat earther's don't have any pictures of "the edge"......

On the other hand....

Well duh! That's because N.A.S.A. has set up cannons that shoot any kill anyone that get's close. This "secret" has to stay safe because if people relizes the that earth is flat..they'll..well you see...they'll...

ok I can't even think up a funny situation on why NASA would be trying to convince people that the earth is round, if it was flat.

The whole concept is just bonkers.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
13-05-2016, 12:15 PM
(13-05-2016 12:00 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 09:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Oddly -- the flat earther's don't have any pictures of "the edge"......

On the other hand....

Well duh! That's because N.A.S.A. has set up cannons that shoot any kill anyone that get's close. This "secret" has to stay safe because if people relizes the that earth is flat..they'll..well you see...they'll...

ok I can't even think up a funny situation on why NASA would be trying to convince people that the earth is round, if it was flat.

NASA is controlled by Satan. Satan hates flat things.
13-05-2016, 01:21 PM
(13-05-2016 12:15 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 12:00 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Well duh! That's because N.A.S.A. has set up cannons that shoot any kill anyone that get's close. This "secret" has to stay safe because if people relizes the that earth is flat..they'll..well you see...they'll...

NASA is controlled by Satan. Satan hates flat things.

I bet he doesn't go to Kansas much.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Two reasons for lack of flights over the Antarctica. First as most of Earth's habitable land mass lies in the northern hemisphere, most cities lie I this region as well, so flying over the South Pole doesn't make sense. Second, airlines operate on the hub and spoke model, with commuter Aircraft feeding passengers from surrounding airports to major hubs, and then major carriers flying from hub to hub. This is why you don't see direct routes from say Perth Australia to Rio De Janerio Brazil via the South Pole route. The major hubs from Perth would be places such as Sydney or Melbourne, and then from there on to other major hubs around the world prior to arrival in Rio.

Finally, using the flat Earth model they propose, a flight crossing the Antarctic continent would require traveling some 78,500 miles, flying around the outer rim of the flat earth. In a typical subsonic commercial jet, eg Boeing 777, etc., this would take about 160 hours of flight time in calm winds. In reality, it takes a commercial jet about 7 hours to fly across Antarctica, clearly demonstrating a flaw in flat earth model.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
17-05-2016, 10:30 PM
I believe the earth is flat!

Except for mountains and maybe trees.

And the roundish parts.

Underneath it's square.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Introduce your friend to a Hollow Earther. I am curious how two incompatible brands of wrong argue with each other.
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
17-05-2016, 11:02 PM
(17-05-2016 11:00 PM)I Am Wrote:  Introduce your friend to a Hollow Earther. I am curious how two incompatible brands of wrong argue with each other.

Is that really a thing?

Surely you jest.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces