Flat earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2014, 06:19 AM
RE: Flat earth
Wow. I finally found someone more stupid and deluded than the geocentrists. At least the geocentrists are less likely to accidentally prove their world view wrong by doing something trivial like flying on a fucking plane.

It's no wonder these types of beliefs thrive in isolated environments. I look forward to the day when the world is more universally educated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2014, 06:30 AM
Look at the flat earth map, it's even dumber. Simply measure the distance between the continents at different points and you prove that map wrong.

Is that pleasing, almighty overlords of the round-earth conspiracy?
01-05-2014, 11:15 AM
(01-05-2014 04:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 01:36 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Why do they give these dolts any kind of media presence? It's sad enough knowing these lunies are even out there. It's like giving alchemists or astrology believers airtime. Facepalm

Yabut, the astrology believers get newspaper space every fucking day. Angry

Yeah, it pisses me off when I see them.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
01-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I thought the flat earth society was just a giant poe site.

You mean....Sadcryface

I have no words.

I am beginning to think however, with all the good the internet does, it also does a lot bad like giving crap like this a venue to exist (and we just lump answers in genesis into all that too.)

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

02-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Well technically our eyes by themselves do only see in 2d to a degree. Its because we have two of them that we gain our full depth perception lol. But even so, we can easily debunk any flat earth theory pretty quickly.

These people are morons and I feel really sad for those who believe in this. I feel more sorry for them than Christians or even Scientology members for that matter.

At least THEY know the earth is round. Stupid idiots.
02-05-2014, 04:04 PM
ahh I remember in 1988 setting sail eastbound on the USS Emory S. Land AS-39 and we went......wait for it...wait for it...all the way around the world....we just kept going east, until we *gasp* returned to Norfolk Va. Amazing. Apparently we reside on this rather large spinning round thingy called a planet...yup, I know, crazy as it sounds there isn't an edge or end to it Consider Smartass Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
24-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Flat earthers are the expression of a new level of cognitive dissonance.
Next there are going to be people who don't believe that humans exist.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
24-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Does not surprise me, they have been doing this for years. They are like westboro if westboro did not picket funerals.

Completely and utterly ignore able

What if Uranus is not spinning on its side, but it is the rest of us who is?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
29-08-2014, 03:51 AM
(29-04-2014 10:10 AM)natachan Wrote:  Oh dear god... The stupid.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2038198/

It's just that they are skeptics.

As I understand it, a pre-rational thinker does not have the cognitive complexity that's needed to directly get the concept of earth as a 3D globe hanging in empty space.

Pre-rational thinkers are only reflectively self-aware in 2 dimensions, which means they can't fully differentiate 3D space conceptually (for them, reality appears somewhat confusingly collapsed into 2 dimensions).

This means that such a person would have to take the existence of a spherical earth on faith, from the rational thinkers!

So basically what you are seeing in the above link, is how pre-rational skepticism looks.

Does not look quite so pretty as our rational worldview skepticism, does it?

Actually - I am a particularly skeptical skeptic, but this does expose a potential hazard of skepticism if I become too skeptical and not open-minded enough.

How will my rational worldview scepticism look in 100 years time?

Phil
29-08-2014, 05:47 AM
(29-08-2014 03:51 AM)phil.a Wrote:  
(29-04-2014 10:10 AM)natachan Wrote:  Oh dear god... The stupid.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2038198/

It's just that they are skeptics.

As I understand it, a pre-rational thinker does not have the cognitive complexity that's needed to directly get the concept of earth as a 3D globe hanging in empty space.

Pre-rational thinkers are only reflectively self-aware in 2 dimensions, which means they can't fully differentiate 3D space conceptually (for them, reality appears somewhat confusingly collapsed into 2 dimensions).

This means that such a person would have to take the existence of a spherical earth on faith, from the rational thinkers!

So basically what you are seeing in the above link, is how pre-rational skepticism looks.

They are certainly non-rational. Why 'pre-rational'?
Do you expect them to wake up one day with newly installed cognitive abilities? Consider

This isn't skepticism, it's bloody-mindedness. Skeptics accept evidence.

Quote:Does not look quite so pretty as our rational worldview skepticism, does it?

Actually - I am a particularly skeptical skeptic, but this does expose a potential hazard of skepticism if I become too skeptical and not open-minded enough.

How will my rational worldview scepticism look in 100 years time?

Phil

Skepticism will be alive and healthy in 100 years, probably more widespread than today.

Don't confuse the stance with what one is skeptical of.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user