Flavored Cooking Oil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Flavored Cooking Oil
I have a popcorn popper. I know it's a one-trick pony, since it only pops popcorn. But, trust me, I like it. I don't have a microwave but I love popcorn. The problem I had was that it's hard to flavor my popcorn because if you sprinkle something on, it tends to fall and collect at the bottom. If I try to melt butter, it makes the popped kernels shrink.

Therefore, I am making flavored oil. It's cooling now. I'll report back when it's done to see if it worked. I used fairly neutral oil (canola), and added roasted garlic cloves, black peppercorns, and some Italian seasoning (basil, thyme, oregano). I used the hot infusion method, heating my oil with the spices in them. It's supposed to be between 180-200F or 20-90C. I can't find my cooking thermometer, so I used low heat. To give you an idea, my burner goes to 9, and I kept it under 3. It may not have been hot enough, so I may have just wasted my time. Once it started bubbling, I let it simmer for a little over 6 minutes.

I'll strain it and bottle it when it's completely cool.

(And I got to eat the garlic cloves.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
28-12-2015, 01:13 AM
RE: Flavored Cooking Oil
Sounds good. I think as long as you don't burn the garlic you could up the heart to say 4 but what you did was probably just fine. The butter issue is not the butter but the water in the butter. Two things to help the butter shrink issue:
1. When melting the butter make sure you heat it long enough for the water to evaporate. No soggy popcorn.
2. Let the popcorn and the butter cool just a bit before you add them. When popcorn is fresh hot it is releasing steam (hence the pop) if you try to doctor it too soon the moisture hasn't had time to escape yet and adds to the sogginess. Also, as the butter cools the fats are relinking up and will coat a little heavier.

I usually let my popcorn cool (I use an air popper) while I'm heating my butter in the microwave, 1 full minute (it's melted in 20-30 seconds but the water isn't evapped yet). Then I let the butter cool about 30 seconds, stir it to get the fat solids redistributed (all the salt in butter is in the solids) and pour over popcorn, salt.

My friend had complained about soggy popcorn a few months ago. I shared this with her and it worked. She was happy until she realized she'd been eating it soggy for years and I never told her my popcorn tricks. Confused Laugh out load

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
28-12-2015, 11:47 AM
My friend uses clarified butter to pop popcorn. Comes out awesome. You can also flavor clarified butter with other herbs.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Flavored Cooking Oil
I definitely want to make some clarified butter. I'll have to try that, Heatheness!

I roasted 5 garlic cloves. However, the only thing I smell and taste is the Italian seasoning. I must have added too much, although I didn't add very much.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
28-12-2015, 01:07 PM
(28-12-2015 12:47 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I definitely want to make some clarified butter. I'll have to try that, Heatheness!

I roasted 5 garlic cloves. However, the only thing I smell and taste is the Italian seasoning. I must have added too much, although I didn't add very much.

Dried herbs have had the water dried out of them but not the oils. That's what heating brings out when you cook it. The concentrated oils are potent and just a tiny pinch is enough. As for the garlic, if you don't break the under-skin on the garlic clove the flavor is diminished because the garlic oils can't get out and blend with the base oil. You might try crushing or at least slicing the cloves so they're open.

When I make roasted garlic I make and entire baking sheet of it at once. Then after I pop the cloves out of the bulbs I put them in small jars and use the leftover oil to cover them before I seal them up. As I use the garlic up I also use the oil for cooking. It's divine!

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
28-12-2015, 03:44 PM
(28-12-2015 01:07 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Dried herbs have had the water dried out of them but not the oils. That's what heating brings out when you cook it. The concentrated oils are potent and just a tiny pinch is enough. As for the garlic, if you don't break the under-skin on the garlic clove the flavor is diminished because the garlic oils can't get out and blend with the base oil. You might try crushing or at least slicing the cloves so they're open.

When I make roasted garlic I make and entire baking sheet of it at once. Then after I pop the cloves out of the bulbs I put them in small jars and use the leftover oil to cover them before I seal them up. As I use the garlic up I also use the oil for cooking. It's divine!

I crushed them with a fork before adding them to the oil. Not sure what I did wrong. I'll figure it out! Next time I'll just slice them.