Flip a damned coin.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 12:41 PM
RE: Flip a damned coin.
(21-01-2017 09:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Maple syrup for dummes....

Drill a hole in a maple tree. (or box elder, birch, ect,_)

collect the watery shit that comes out.

Boil it, till the sugar content becomes 66 percent......................................

considering it's usually about 2 percent or less to start with -- it's a whole buncha BTU's you're sticking into it......

I presume you tap and process your own maple syrup Biker? If so, how much do you produce a season, and what do you do with any surplus—can it be stored indefinitely, like honey with its own anti-bacterial ingredients, or does it have a limited shelf life. I'm inclined to thing the imported syrup we get here could have a few chemicals added—maybe not?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 01:52 PM
I'm producing less and less each year -- and not for lack of trying.... The most I ever produced was 42 gallons -- with 90 trees.. Last year I did over 300 trees and only got 37 gallons --- but boiled the most sap ever....

This may well be my last year doing it -- as it's so weather dependent --- and it's not cooperating.....

Syrup comes out of the pan through a 50 micron bag filter, the goes into canning jars at 185-190f --- then sealed. It's pretty sterile at that point. I use only new jars -- as old ones sometimes pick up fungus that grows in the syrup.

No chemicals are needed in preserving - provided you get a good seal. It'll stay good for years in a sealed jar -- and once opened - I've had it stay out on the counter for a month or more with no ill effects....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
22-01-2017, 02:08 PM
(22-01-2017 01:52 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm producing less and less each year -- and not for lack of trying.... The most I ever produced was 42 gallons -- with 90 trees.. Last year I did over 300 trees and only got 37 gallons --- but boiled the most sap ever....

This may well be my last year doing it -- as it's so weather dependent --- and it's not cooperating.....

Syrup comes out of the pan through a 50 micron bag filter, the goes into canning jars at 185-190f --- then sealed. It's pretty sterile at that point. I use only new jars -- as old ones sometimes pick up fungus that grows in the syrup.

No chemicals are needed in preserving - provided you get a good seal. It'll stay good for years in a sealed jar -- and once opened - I've had it stay out on the counter for a month or more with no ill effects....

I had a bottle of real maple syrup (not the cheap 1 or 2% stuff) in my refrigerator for years with no ill effects -- except that eventually it turned into crystallized sugar. I think all the liquid slowly evaporated, leaving only the sugar. It looked pretty cool at that point, but didn't pour so well.

Big Grin
22-01-2017, 09:08 PM
It probably didn't evaporate.

The sugar just does that over time.

Maple syrup is 66 percent sugar..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.