Flood Genocide and Idiotic Engineering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Some of you may be aware of the reasons given behind the Genesis flood that "covered the Earth" (or a large region, if you're inclined to stick to that story). There are 2 given in Genesis 6. The first is that "God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the Earth", and so He killed everyone because they were "wicked". Animals, too? They can't even sin, because they have no scriptures... but sure, let's kill nearly all of the animal life. How about babies? Sure, why not. As you can see, this "everyone is wicked but Noah" story falls apart quickly.

The second one -- the one that most apologists use -- is the other reason having to do with "sons of God" coming upon the "daughters of men" (angels having sex with human women) and making babies, of which Noah was "perfect in his generations" (no angel DNA). Christian apologists feel comfortable with this excuse -- God killed everyone because angel blood had mixed with human blood.

Now there are many examples of racism and genocide in the bible. God told the Israelites to utterly destroy every single Amelekite, and in Jericho the Israelites were to kill every single man, woman, child, and animal (why does God have such a hard on for killing children and animals?). Apologists try to explain why these people were so evil (they worshipped other Gods, which naturally deserves the death penalty), and try to write it off as something other than utterly wiping out another race.

But the flood story? They're fine with the genocide. After all, it's angel blood mixed in with our pure race. And all those "mudbloods" had to die, right? I mean, it's not their fault that they were born that way, but it's not like God could just fix the problem by preventing angels from visiting Earth (totally doable by omnipotence) or by making a species that isn't sexually compatible with his other previous species, right? How hard could that be, if the guy didn't want them to do the horizontal mambo?

Seriously, how stupid would God have to be to create a totally avoidable problem whose only solution was mass genocide?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
06-08-2012, 10:42 PM
RE: Flood Genocide and Idiotic Engineering
I'm not sure what it is about God an his hard on for killing innocent infants and children, but that was one of the bigger reasons I got disgusted with the whole thing in the first place. I mean, in the account of the Great Flood, it says that ALL humanity (okay, except Noah and his brood) was bad, doing bad, and thinking bad thoughts ALL the time. Okay, that's pretty rotten, I guess, if you're thinking about doing evil every single moment of the day, as it's claimed. But how does a BABY think evil thoughts? A baby's thoughts are pretty much eat, sleep, play a little, and poop. When I brought this up to a member of my former congregation, I was told the same tired story; that God could "read their hearts and knew that they would grow up to be evil". And then the whole free will thing just flies right out the window.

If I sit and think about the Flood, I come up with a new reason it's a load of crap every single time.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes SlipStitch's post
06-08-2012, 11:11 PM
All of that really becomes irrelevant since the Nephilim survive the flood.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
07-08-2012, 12:19 AM
(06-08-2012 11:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  All of that really becomes irrelevant since the Nephilim survive the flood.

The Nephilim from Nibiru??

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
07-08-2012, 12:51 AM
(06-08-2012 11:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  All of that really becomes irrelevant since the Nephilim survive the flood.

Yeah that explanation never held up for me. If the flood's purpose was to eradicate the Nephilim, it was a pretty piss poor plan.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
07-08-2012, 01:06 AM
(07-08-2012 12:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Yeah that explanation never held up for me. If the flood's purpose was to eradicate the Nephilim, it was a pretty piss poor plan.

The only answer you need is a one-word answer: Gilgamesh.

All of the above hypotheses are moot.
07-08-2012, 05:08 AM
(07-08-2012 12:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

True. Assuming the Nephilim were a real thing, what about destroying them all would prevent angels from just fucking the survivors of the flood?

Nevertheless, if we are considering the bible account to be true, the bible says "why", even if we think the "why" isn't a good one. I'd rather the bible had not explained why so that I could speculate on that question, but it is what it is.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
07-08-2012, 05:10 AM
(07-08-2012 01:06 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 12:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yeah that explanation never held up for me. If the flood's purpose was to eradicate the Nephilim, it was a pretty piss poor plan.

The only answer you need is a one-word answer: Gilgamesh.

All of the above hypotheses are moot.

I'm an atheist, Red Celt. I don't believe God is genocidal because I don't believe he's existent. This is a thought experiment that assumes the truth of the bible on the flood account.

07-08-2012, 05:13 AM
(07-08-2012 05:10 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  I'm an atheist, Red Celt. I don't believe God is genocidal because I don't believe he's existent. This is a thought experiment that assumes the truth of the bible on the flood account.

Yes, but... the inundation story is stolen... so... even a believer would... oh, never mind.

Dodgy

Go back to a debate about the colour of a unicorn's horn.
07-08-2012, 10:28 AM
As for the animals, I've seen some religious Jews claiming that God killed them for... interbreeding among each other. Like, rabbits fucking a deer and giving birth to a "rabbeer"...

Not sure how is it a bad thing (not that it's even possible to begin with)... but, whatever...
[+] 1 user Likes Vlad's post