Flooded Balkans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Flooded Balkans
You probably don't know, but there are some huge ass floods in Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia... If anyone is interested, here are some videos.

Noah, anyone?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
19-05-2014, 09:12 AM
RE: Flooded Balkans
I guess God is finally getting around to punishing the Balkans.

About time - they've always been a pain in the ass. Tongue

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
19-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Is this the cyclone my mom keeps talking about? We've had some unusually strong winds because of it, but nothing serious.

I had no idea it was that bad up there.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
19-05-2014, 01:04 PM
(19-05-2014 10:08 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Is this the cyclone my mom keeps talking about? We've had some unusually strong winds because of it, but nothing serious.

In my part of Croatia (south, coast) there was just some wind, we didn't feel anything here, but up north, bloody disaster.

-Hunter S. Thompson
19-05-2014, 07:31 PM
(19-05-2014 01:04 PM)Filox Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 10:08 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Is this the cyclone my mom keeps talking about? We've had some unusually strong winds because of it, but nothing serious.

In my part of Croatia (south, coast) there was just some wind, we didn't feel anything here, but up north, bloody disaster.

Nasty heavy rain and urban waterlogging in Southeastern China also ...

[Image: 164941517.jpg]

How well, do you think, is the Croatian government responding to this flood ?

Want something? Then do something.
21-05-2014, 05:17 AM
The Government? They didn't do shit. But the people and the Army did it's job. People are offering their own homes to homeless families, the army and the police are trying to do their best, help is being gathered, it all working out, somehow.

All we have to defend ourselves from the river is bags filled with sand, this is what the rest of the world uses to protect their citizens from flood:

[Image: Flood+Protection2.jpg]

This is why I am saying that our Government is doing nothing, all this time and we still have just sand bags...

There is even more interesting fact about the Church and their response, after someone asked them how much money they have donated.

"We are gathering donations from the people and we will... " Gathering donations from the people? People are donating things already, so, the shit heads will give nothing of their own money, just what they can get from the people.

-Hunter S. Thompson
21-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Even worse...

"But the Bosnia and Herzegovina Mine Action Center has been working around the clock on another emergency: dislodged land mines.

About 2 million land mines were planted during Bosnia's civil war. The mine action center helped remove most of them. Only 120,000 remained in a 460-square-mile area, marked by some 25,000 signs.

"We spent 10 years marking this area with warning signs," Ahdin Orahovac, the center's deputy director, tells NPR. "In these few days, everything is gone."

Land mines have killed about 1,800 Bosnians since the end of the war, so people are aware of the danger, Orahovac says. Several people in flood-affected areas have already called to report discovering several bombs, grenades and other unexploded ordnance, he says."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
21-05-2014, 08:49 AM
(21-05-2014 08:28 AM)Vera Wrote:  Even worse...

"But the Bosnia and Herzegovina Mine Action Center has been working around the clock on another emergency: dislodged land mines.

About 2 million land mines were planted during Bosnia's civil war. The mine action center helped remove most of them. Only 120,000 remained in a 460-square-mile area, marked by some 25,000 signs.

"We spent 10 years marking this area with warning signs," Ahdin Orahovac, the center's deputy director, tells NPR. "In these few days, everything is gone."

Land mines have killed about 1,800 Bosnians since the end of the war, so people are aware of the danger, Orahovac says. Several people in flood-affected areas have already called to report discovering several bombs, grenades and other unexploded ordnance, he says."

I was under the impression that Croatia still had a couple hundred thousand lying around as well.

[Image: giphy.gif]
21-05-2014, 09:14 AM
(21-05-2014 08:49 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I was under the impression that Croatia still had a couple hundred thousand lying around as well.

It would appear that there are. Maybe - hopefully - they are not in one of the affected areas.

There is also this (fair warning, the picture in the linked article is not something that one would particularly want to see):

"A new calamity emerged Tuesday in the flood-hit Balkans as rescue workers battled overflowing rivers—and were confronted by wastelands of drowned livestock.

As the rainfall stopped and temperatures rose, the withdrawing floodwaters revealed a harrowing sight: thousands of dead cows, pigs, sheep, dogs and other animals left behind as their panicked owners fled.

"There are tons of dead animals that we must dispose of, Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic told a government meeting."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
22-05-2014, 07:01 AM
Yeah, thanks for covering this Vera. What you saw on those videos, that is just the beginning. The flood is just the first part of the shitstorm that is going to start any day now. Rotten corpses are the biggest problem, then there are the land mines. It would appear that the Bosnia had it worse that Croatia, concerning the land mines, but then again, the Bosnia was hit harder with these floods than Croatia. It is hard here, but Bosnia and specially Serbia got it far worse. You see, in Croatia water is slowly retreating, but Serbia is expecting it's biggest wave on Friday.

It's a really really fucked up situation, from any point of view. Good thing about all this is that we will not learn a single thing, nothing will be done to prevent this in the future, everyone will forget this ever happened as soon as they are allowed to...

Drinking Beverage

-Hunter S. Thompson