Florida adventures, eps 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Florida adventures, eps 1
So as I wrote a while ago, I'm enjoyinga. Vacation with a fiend in Key West. The first time I came stateside.
Wanted to share some of my observations.

I started my flight in Amsterdam, the dutch customsagent was pretty strict, I was pretty surprised by the interview.
The flight was going to be between 9 and 10 hours.
When boarding, I had an aisle-seat and 2 elderly ladies (early 60's) sat next to me. They had just gone on an african safari with a travelgroup and were now flying back to Colorado. There were some good conversations, some moviewatching in between and more conversations.
Halfway through the flight something was wrong with a patient and one of the flight attendants come and retrieved the first aid kit and the defibrilator.
We were getting pretty curious. Turns out it was just a diabetic who hadn't eaten enough. He was fine.
Some of the people of the aforementioned travelgroup were paramedics, so they observed/offered to help and we got a first hand report of what had happened.
A little after this, the lady next to me started talking about her beliefs.
And, well, 'merkun, so christian. I had a quiet 'oooooh boy' moment, but we had a great conversation there too, told her I was an atheist etc.
She said she hoped I would find faith, I told her I'd need to know which one was the right one (every region thinks their is the right one).

She wanted to reccomend some books, so I told her a few things about Christopher Hitchens.

In the end we all exchanged traveltips and E-mailadresses, good flight.
After a lay-over in Atlanta I sat next to a local highschoolteacher on the 2nd plane. Great conversation again, his kid was named Miller, I joked it would be funny if he started writing papers for high school (Miler's draft). And later I noticed from a few things he said and from his blue wristband that he too, was very religious.

Then I land in Key West, it's over 80'F and raining like crazy.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Caveman's post
05-12-2013, 09:41 AM
RE: Florida adventures, eps 1
I hope you took your course of anti-religion inoculations before you left the sanity of Europe.

I'm worried about you now.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-12-2013, 01:44 PM
(05-12-2013 09:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I hope you took your course of anti-religion inoculations before you left the sanity of Europe.

I'm worried about you now.

He'll be all right as long as he sticks to Key West.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I must say I didn't encounter much.
The silliest instance was when a girl sneezed. I said 'Gesuntheit', it's the international form of what we dutch basterds say.
She was positively shocked and had prefered I'd have said 'god bless' or something similar. She even went out of her way to tell this to other people.
I stayed mostly on Stock Island (cottage at the golf course, for those familiar). But if you go downtown to Duval Street you pass by a LOT of different churches.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.