Florida adventures, eps 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Florida adventures, eps 2
After a few days, my buddy and I went for lunch at Quiznos.
We sat down and at the next table were a mother and her +/- 9 yo daughter.
On the back of the kid's shirt was printed: my backyard is 300.000 years old.
And as we were eating our lunch, an older guy +/- 60 yo sitting at another table, started calling to them.
The old man looked like a bum. Lots of gra hair, bad clothes, cap, missing some teeth, maybe looney.
He called the mom and kid and asked about the shirt.
I anticipated something like: "how can that be since the earth was created 6.000 years ago?". I averted my eyes and concentrated on my Chicken Carbonara on JalapeƱo cheddar.

Instead, however, he started talking about being a retired Federal Park Ranger. He told the kid about the local geography, and about scientific research and how she should pay attention in school. The kid and her mom listened a while and left happily.

After that my friend and I asked some more about his work.
He later told us about how he fell on hard times and got screwed over by employers and governor, sad story.
However, he was trying to get back on his feet, even wrote a novel. Got an endorsement from a deputy surgeon-general, a point of pride for him.
Figured I'd share the link to the book. The first 5 chapters, I was told, can be read for free.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008RGMTVW...1385404743

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Caveman's post
10-12-2013, 01:47 PM
RE: Florida adventures, eps 2
Oh yeah.
You people put powerlines on 20ft high poles.
Very smart for a country that has natural disasters (from hurricanes to snowstorms) on a regular basis.
Europe has put them all underground.
That way they will never break (we don't have earthquakes).
Also: doing that now creates thousands of jobs and makes the country very resilient.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
10-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Sounds like you are meeting some interesting characters.

I am jealous, have always wanted to visit The Keys.

Is your adventure taking you to other states/locales?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
10-12-2013, 08:12 PM
I like your stories. Even traveling from Canada to America, the culture is different and fun to observe. I've been to Florida (I have a half sister there), but I haven't been to the keys. Also, now I want a carbonara.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
11-12-2013, 02:49 AM
(10-12-2013 01:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Sounds like you are meeting some interesting characters.

I am jealous, have always wanted to visit The Keys.

Is your adventure taking you to other states/locales?

Other then flying through Atlanta, nope. Trip was already expensive enough. Maybe I'll go up north next time.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
11-12-2013, 02:51 AM
(10-12-2013 08:12 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I like your stories. Even traveling from Canada to America, the culture is different and fun to observe. I've been to Florida (I have a half sister there), but I haven't been to the keys. Also, now I want a carbonara.

I would love to visit Canada someday to see how your country differs from the US and my own.

And as for the sammich, go!

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
11-12-2013, 06:26 AM
(04-12-2013 08:05 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Instead, however, he started talking about being a retired Federal Park Ranger. He told the kid about the local geography, and about scientific research and how she should pay attention in school. The kid and her mom listened a while and left happily.

After that my friend and I asked some more about his work.
He later told us about how he fell on hard times and got screwed over by employers and governor, sad story.
However, he was trying to get back on his feet, even wrote a novel. Got an endorsement from a deputy surgeon-general, a point of pride for him.
Figured I'd share the link to the book. The first 5 chapters, I was told, can be read for free.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008RGMTVW...1385404743

Here's the book description from Amazon:
Quote:In this story Chicago psychiatrist Dr. Walter Arlin Colburn finds himself called, by his deceased wife Amelia, to leave his home and his Chicago practice and return to the place of their last days together in the wonderfully quirky and picturesque city of Key West, Florida. One year earlier, Amelia had suffered a brain aneurysm while enjoying some dockside snorkeling at Fort Jefferson National Memorial in the Dry Tortugas and had died two nights later at the Lower Keys Medical Center Key West while in the care of a young nurse who had just arrived from Boston College. The nurse, Jillian Dougherty, falls victim to a most maniacal and devious homeless drunk, Patrick Oran Broslen, (Paddy), who masterfully coheres Jillian into a bizarre escapade of drunken endeavor on one of the most fascinating derelict beaches ever trekked by humans. Paddy abandons Jillian in the darkness of an oceanfront stone and driftwood resort built by one of his homeless buddies, then steals her credit cards and I D's leaving her to find her way back to Key West in the darkness along a treacherous and moonlit beach. (See photo gallery #1) Jillian, the main character of this story, suffers a psychotic episode after two months of sleep and nutritional deprivation, and slips into the Key West homeless population. After missing an appointment with Key West police sergeant Carl Dixon and the subsequent finding of her car one mile offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, a preliminary investigation is launched and her parents in Boston are notified Welcome now to the under-life of paradise as Jillian's psychosis approaches it's apex and nurse Jillian fades away only to be reborn as Chastity Marrow from Provo Utah. She soon abandons her former identity and acquiesces fully into the Key West "lost" culture of drop-outs. An assortment of colorful characters enter her life and she finds herself at an offshore, out-island hippie fest where she is swept away to a homemade sailboat, The Canadian Soul, by a handsome and very caviler Canadian born road scholar named Ethan Hall. The next morning, Ethan raises anchor and sails his new found "catch" away without a trace. Jillian's father William Dougherty arrives penniless, leaving his wife and other two children to work the family ice-cream store in Gloucester Mass. and unsuccessfully attempts to ingratiate himself into sergeant Dixon's lost persons investigation and soon resigns himself to his own undercover reconnaissance activities. Mr. Dougherty spends the next twelve months sleeping in the Key West homeless shelters and relentlessly posting and reposting pictures of his lost daughter on the storm washed telephone poles of this topical tourist mecca. Chicago psychiatrist, Dr. Colburn lands at the Key West airport and is soon reunited with his deceased wife who leads him to the lost nurse, Jillian! Thank you! I hope you enjoy the read!!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller