Florida does it again.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Florida does it again.....
Just been sent this from my ex neighbor in Miami.

The Florida Board of Education approved new race-based academic goals. The plan calls for different levels of academic achievement with 90% of Asian students, 88% of Caucasians, 81% of Hispanics and 74% of African-Americans to be at or above grade reading level by the year 2018. Math standards have been set at 92% of Asian students, 86% of Caucasians, 80% of Hispanics and 74% of African-Americans to be at or above their math grade level.

Havent we supposedly got beyond judging peoples abilities by the colour of their skin?

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2012, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 06:23 AM by Vera.)
RE: Florida does it again.....
Well, what can you expect from people who while the scientific community is quickly discrediting the idea of races, insist on introducing even more ways to divide ourselves... Hispanics? Really?

And if I had a penny for every thread on imdb where people are saying that Arab is a race, same with Mediterranean, for example...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
18-10-2012, 06:21 AM
(18-10-2012 05:55 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  Haven't we supposedly got beyond judging peoples' abilities by the colour of their skin?

Apparently not.

Were you told what the purpose / benefit might be in categorising thusly and why these targets matter to the good people of Florida?

20-10-2012, 03:12 AM
Education in this country has went to hell. They have to do shit like this so they can make make legitimate goals for passing some dumbass standardized tests. Though we are very close genetically there are a lot of differences culture and socioeconomic status, and those do show up on tests.

So they aren't completely off base with this idea. Its quite sound logic really, as long as your focus are those asinine tests.
20-10-2012, 04:52 AM
(20-10-2012 03:12 AM)Diablo Wrote:  Education in this country has went to hell. They have to do shit like this so they can make make legitimate goals for passing some dumbass standardized tests. Though we are very close genetically there are a lot of differences culture and socioeconomic status, and those do show up on tests.

So they aren't completely off base with this idea. Its quite sound logic really, as long as your focus are those asinine tests.

Even if we were genetically different (which we really are not, and definitely not to an extent that would cause different learning abilities) there is no such race as Hispanic, for example.

I guess you're right about the socioeconomic side of it (though of course, this cannot be universal and cannot apply to an entire ethnic group, however one chooses to define it, which in itself is extremely problematic). Sounds to me that instead of lowering the percentage of the different "ethnic groups" expected to pass a test, get a degree or whatever it was, those responsible should be aiming at making sure that everybody receives a good enough education, so that everybody could be on a more or less level playground. And maybe find a better way of gauging knowledge than a standardised test...

Anyway, I'm by no means well-acquainted with the state of education in the States, it just bugs me a great deal that instead of societies becoming more and more inclusive, we are constantly thinking out new ways to divide ourselves. The tribal, us-or-them instinct is alive and kicking and doesn't seem to be going anywhere Sad

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
21-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Re: RE: Florida does it again.....
(21-10-2012 01:01 PM)Diablo Wrote:  I guess what they could do instead is account for the expected population of each culture and then average it out. However, the only thing you accomplished was to remove the reference to race from the description. Its still there in the equation you used to derive it. Assuming this statistics are valid, it would also hurt some schools more than others.

I don't know about Florida, but here in Va the school system receives funding based on test scores. If your school does poorly then you can generally expect low funding. Seems kind of odd logic really...like capitalism....those kids were meant to fail I suppose.

If you are of the mindset that these variables are not supposed to be taken into consideration, then what do you suggest? From what I can see the only alternative is to blindly pull a number out of their asses.

That's been put in place nationally and still increasing issues. No child left behind continued more of that style funding.

I know i've heard private schools are big in Florida because the public school system is quite poor

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
21-10-2012, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 01:17 PM by Diablo.)
I guess what they could do instead is account for the expected population of each culture and then average it out. However, the only thing you accomplished was to remove the reference to race from the description. Its still there in the equation you used to derive it. Assuming this statistics are valid, it would also hurt some schools more than others.

I don't know about Florida, but here in Va the school system receives funding based on test scores. If your school does poorly then you can generally expect low funding. Seems kind of odd logic really...like capitalism....those kids were meant to fail I suppose.

If you are of the mindset that these variables are not supposed to be taken into consideration, then what do you suggest? From what I can see the only alternative is to blindly pull a number out of their asses.