Flu vax - question for outside the US members.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Flu vax - question for outside the US members.
I saw something on facebook, it was a reminder type message to get a flu shot (vaccine). Loads of people had commented on it, many seemed to be from Europe and other places and I got the feeling that they were poking fun at Americans because its marketed as a "OMG YOU ARE GOING TO DIE UNLESS YOU GET THE VAX" and that other countries arent like that. That healthcare workers don't get them, and certainly arent forced by their employers, they implied that it was largely ignored.

then there was the shitload of people saying they only got the flu the year they got the vax.

Being that TTA is a global audience I was hoping you could explain how its handled in your country. Is it sold at every drugstore? Are there warnings on the evening news? Is it routine for healthcare workers to get the vax?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2015, 10:57 AM
RE: Flu vax - question for outside the US members.
It's widely reported this year the flu vaccine handed out was a miss (as they kinda have to preemptively estimate) and the main flu virus spreading around this year isn't something that the vaccine protects against.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
08-01-2015, 11:09 AM
(08-01-2015 10:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Being that TTA is a global audience I was hoping you could explain how its handled in your country. Is it sold at every drugstore? Are there warnings on the evening news? Is it routine for healthcare workers to get the vax?

It's free at (almost) every drugstore and it's mandatory for healthcare workers.

(08-01-2015 10:57 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's widely reported this year the flu vaccine handed out was a miss (as they kinda have to preemptively estimate) and the main flu virus spreading around this year isn't something that the vaccine protects against.

What that really means is that it's (say) 60% effective instead of 90% effective. But that's not a story...

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
08-01-2015, 11:58 AM
In Canada, it's not mandatory for anyone, but it's free for everyone. I know that it's also made particularly available to healthcare workers.
It seems to me that the only people I know or ever hear of getting the flu shot are the elderly or my friend's who are nurses.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2015, 04:50 PM

I haven't gotten a flu shot and I'm not aware of anybody who has gotten a flu shot in the last couple of years. We had to get vacinated in primary school. I have heard that health care workers need to get them and they're not distributed for free.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
08-01-2015, 05:41 PM
(08-01-2015 10:57 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's widely reported this year the flu vaccine handed out was a miss (as they kinda have to preemptively estimate) and the main flu virus spreading around this year isn't something that the vaccine protects against.

We've had two kids die from the flu so far this season here in my state. Both of them had been vaccinated. Really sad.

Bows, thanks for the reminder I need to go get one. Funny you posted this topic, freakanomics radio just released a podcast asking "why doesn't everyone get the flu shot?". Haven't listened to it yet though.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
09-01-2015, 05:33 AM
My experience in Australia is that my employer provide the shots for free and bring in a nurse to administer them on a given scheduled day. I don't think it is widely marketed but the way it is presented is in terms of protecting the very young and the very old. If you have very young or elderly relatives or come into contact with young or elderly people as a matter of course you are encouraged to get the shot.

Vaccines are not 100% effective. It is possible to get the flu after having the vaccine. However your chances of doing so are reduced and in turn your chances of passing it on are reduced. You can't catch flu from the vaccine itself.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
09-01-2015, 06:32 AM
Re: Flu vax - question for outside the US members.
I got a flu shot last year but got sick anyway. This year I didn't get one. But over 30 here have already died from it so far this year.
09-01-2015, 06:33 AM
(08-01-2015 10:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I saw something on facebook, it was a reminder type message to get a flu shot (vaccine). Loads of people had commented on it, many seemed to be from Europe and other places and I got the feeling that they were poking fun at Americans because its marketed as a "OMG YOU ARE GOING TO DIE UNLESS YOU GET THE VAX" and that other countries arent like that. That healthcare workers don't get them, and certainly arent forced by their employers, they implied that it was largely ignored.

then there was the shitload of people saying they only got the flu the year they got the vax.

Being that TTA is a global audience I was hoping you could explain how its handled in your country. Is it sold at every drugstore? Are there warnings on the evening news? Is it routine for healthcare workers to get the vax?

I've never heard of a vaccination being given at pharmacies before... In my experience, vaccinations are done at local Doctors Surgeries and hospitals by GPs and/or nurses; last year I had to pay $26 for shots.. I never got around to it... Schools routinely hold 'Vaccination Days', where the students (and occasionally staff so I hear) get stabbed in the arm for the newest vaccine available, often for a myriad diseases.

Occasionally, news of the roll-out of the newest vaccine will come across over the various news networks, and at the start of Flu season, encouraging people to get their vaccinations caught up, but I've never seen it 'warned' about.

As for healthcare workers... I can't find any information on that regard. It really should be the case that all healthcare workers should get their stabs, but often times things in Australia have a tendency to function in a manner which runs counter to the dictates of logic, so it would not surprise me if it were not the case.

Unfortunately, I've only had limited experience with the rest of the world, so I can't do much in the way of providing an actually informed perspective...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-01-2015, 06:35 AM
I had a flu shot this year and exactly two weeks later was diagnosed with the flu. UGH! Hoping to make it through the rest of flu season unscathed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF