Flu vax - question for outside the US members.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2015, 06:36 AM
RE: Flu vax - question for outside the US members.
(08-01-2015 10:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I saw something on facebook, it was a reminder type message to get a flu shot (vaccine). Loads of people had commented on it, many seemed to be from Europe and other places and I got the feeling that they were poking fun at Americans because its marketed as a "OMG YOU ARE GOING TO DIE UNLESS YOU GET THE VAX" and that other countries arent like that. That healthcare workers don't get them, and certainly arent forced by their employers, they implied that it was largely ignored.

then there was the shitload of people saying they only got the flu the year they got the vax.

Being that TTA is a global audience I was hoping you could explain how its handled in your country. Is it sold at every drugstore? Are there warnings on the evening news? Is it routine for healthcare workers to get the vax?

First thing -- drugs generally aren't marketed at all outside the US. Because the government provides the drugs at a subsidised rate -- so drug companies market to the government, not to the consumers.

Healthcare workers (at least from anecdotes from my Mum -- a nurse in Australia) are mandatory. You can't work with patients and not have had it.

It's generally free in most countries (UK and Aus at least -- not sure about US).

The anti-vaxx movement is a dangerous fear-mongering campaign by ignorant tea-party members and "hippy" naturalists who think all medicine is evil.

It's dangerous -- oh, you got the sniffles when you had the flu shot? Boo hoo. You may have saved some child from getting pneumonia.

Mostly general vaccinations are not just a prevention for yourself -- but a kill by attrition for flu viruses. Remove viable hosts, remove the threat. If you don't get vaccinated -- you are at risk of carrying the flu (or getting it yourself) and then more importantly -- passing that on to babies you meet, or parents who you cough near on public transport -- who then go home and cough on their children.

Everyone should get vaccinated. It's a matter of public health.

But I guess that says it all when it comes to Americans. "It made me, the individual, sick for 2 days -- so fuck any benefit it will have for everyone else".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2015, 02:21 PM
(08-01-2015 11:09 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 10:57 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's widely reported this year the flu vaccine handed out was a miss (as they kinda have to preemptively estimate) and the main flu virus spreading around this year isn't something that the vaccine protects against.

What that really means is that it's (say) 60% effective instead of 90% effective. But that's not a story...

I've heard this several years running now and am wondering what the epidemiology says for the last five or ten years. If we've managed to build up a reasonable level of herd immunity to one strain then we may be creating selection pressures for another strain to become dominant. I'd love to know if these "misses" are cases of the health officials incorrectly gauging the flu strains or the flu strains evolving around the vaccinations.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
09-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Contrary to what has been said previously, flu vaccinations are not free in the UK for all people. They are provided to the very young and very old only (and I assume healthcare workers get them, but I can't say for sure).

I get my jabs free through my company as a benefit. My wife and kid have to pay for theirs.

This year's vaccine is being reported widely as not so effective, due to greater than expected mutation.

See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30731680

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
10-01-2015, 01:23 AM
Oh wait, apparently I'm lost...which way to the masturbation thread?
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
10-01-2015, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2015 03:58 AM by Mathilda.)
I noticed a sign in a shop window just yesterday advertising flu shots. It's the only one I've seen which is why it caught my eye. I wondered how much it cost or whether the government pays the shop to give them out. I've never actually had one before and nor will I bother. My dad has started to get flu shots because he's old and has problems with his health. I've had flu two or three times in my life. It's a drag but just something I deal with. Although maybe we don't worry about it here so much because we don't have to worry too much about taking sick leave in Europe. Not that I ever take days off sick anyway. I've never heard of a company giving them to the staff.

One Christmas I seriously contemplated getting infected with seasonal flu to avoid visiting the mother-in-law. I couldn't see how I could go about it so I didn't try. The mother-in-law then gave me flu.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
10-01-2015, 04:15 AM
(10-01-2015 03:55 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I noticed a sign in a shop window just yesterday advertising flu shots. It's the only one I've seen which is why it caught my eye. I wondered how much it cost or whether the government pays the shop to give them out. I've never actually had one before and nor will I bother. My dad has started to get flu shots because he's old and has problems with his health. I've had flu two or three times in my life. It's a drag but just something I deal with. Although maybe we don't worry about it here so much because we don't have to worry too much about taking sick leave in Europe. Not that I ever take days off sick anyway. I've never heard of a company giving them to the staff.

One Christmas I seriously contemplated getting infected with seasonal flu to avoid visiting the mother-in-law. I couldn't see how I could go about it so I didn't try. The mother-in-law then gave me flu.

What a generous gift of her to give you!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
10-01-2015, 04:46 AM
There are ads on TV here these days, but quite rare. People don't bother much. Nothing on the news either, only reporting deaths from the flu. Not sure what happens with healthcare workers.

I only got the flu once or twice in my life. My sister and mother always get vaccinated though because of their health problems.

Oh, and I don't think they're free. I remember my mum paying for them when I was a kid.

Whenever I went to get my shot, the doctor told me that I only had to endure all this until I'm 18, when I'd get my last vaccine. After that, no one expected me to get more.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
10-01-2015, 04:55 AM
(10-01-2015 03:55 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I noticed a sign in a shop window just yesterday advertising flu shots. It's the only one I've seen which is why it caught my eye. I wondered how much it cost or whether the government pays the shop to give them out. I've never actually had one before and nor will I bother. My dad has started to get flu shots because he's old and has problems with his health. I've had flu two or three times in my life. It's a drag but just something I deal with. Although maybe we don't worry about it here so much because we don't have to worry too much about taking sick leave in Europe. Not that I ever take days off sick anyway. I've never heard of a company giving them to the staff.

Unless the Scottish NHS has done something different from the rest of UK, these are only free for very old or very young.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.