Flying at Sunset

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-04-2012, 08:20 PM
RE: Flying at Sunset
(29-04-2012 08:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(29-04-2012 07:52 PM)aurora Wrote:  Gorgeous...and the flight looked alright too! Tongue

I used to have a friend that was a Qantas pilot (don't see him anymore) and he used to take us up all the time, in different small aircraft, which was spectacular! I think I used to annoy him with questions like; 'can you explain the aerodynamics of flying?' Big Grin
He once snuck us in to the flight simulator - now that was amazing.

Are you sure it wasn't a flight Stimulator? Big Grin
Well, it sure was stimulating! Tongue although I'm sure it wasn't as stimulating as your naughty 'chair'

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
30-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Niice. Very jealous, I have 1 hour and my ppl medical certificate. That was as far as I got before work became too unreliable. Sad

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
30-04-2012, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 02:24 PM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(29-04-2012 07:23 PM)k37713 Wrote:  Where are you flying out of bugsmasher? I have a lot of friends who fly acro here in north tx. It is definitley a long term goal of mine. I want to eventually fly a Pitts - I just think bi-planes are so romantic!! I actually just went to Italy in August of last year to help my friend on the judges line( I did nothing but record scores and run them from judges to the panel) for the World Aerobatic Competiton. It was amazing-- all of the best pilots from all over the world all in one place.. Thumbsup
No, but I was flying A bugsmasher in the vid ('bugsmasher' is a slang term used by fighter pilots to describe light general aviation aircraft). Yeah, biplanes are cool and harken back to an amazing era in aviation. I got a little time in a Boeing Stearman, a biplane which is practically the poster child for the magic of flight. Open cockpit, radial engine, cloth covered airframe, minimal day VFR instruments. There's nothing else like it. I have an antique leather flight helmet, bomber jacket and silk scarf especially for flying in those birds. Very nostalgic.

That's great that you got that experience. There are a lot of good female flyers in aerobatics - Melissa Premberton, Svetlana Kapanina, Patty Wagstaff, just to name a few. I'm just getting into aerobatics and mastering the basics i.e. steep turns, aileron rolls, loops, Immelmanns, etc. I'd definitely like to work up to the point of flying routines and competing. I think the ultimate thrill would be to fly in the Red Bull Air Races. I'm going to get some more aerobatic insturction in an MX2 airplane, which should be a wild ride! I'll see if I can shoot some video from that.

(30-04-2012 04:08 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  Niice. Very jealous, I have 1 hour and my ppl medical certificate. That was as far as I got before work became too unreliable. Sad
Keep at it. You're now building toward your first solo, which is an unforgettable experience!

(29-04-2012 10:45 AM)moosethumbs Wrote:  Gorgeous. Another PPL checking in, I have about 250 hours but I haven't been up in years. I'd love to see your aerobatic stuff!
Why did you stop flying?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
30-04-2012, 10:21 PM
(30-04-2012 02:06 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(29-04-2012 10:45 AM)moosethumbs Wrote:  Gorgeous. Another PPL checking in, I have about 250 hours but I haven't been up in years. I'd love to see your aerobatic stuff!
Why did you stop flying?
Well I got into it because I wanted to be an airline pilot. After a while I decided I didn't want to do that, so I focused on college and then life just got in the way. Got married, had kids, no money, no time. I'm sure I'll get into it again some day, just right now it's too expensive for me to have as a hobby.
01-05-2012, 03:35 PM
(30-04-2012 02:06 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(29-04-2012 07:23 PM)k37713 Wrote:  Where are you flying out of bugsmasher? I have a lot of friends who fly acro here in north tx. It is definitley a long term goal of mine. I want to eventually fly a Pitts - I just think bi-planes are so romantic!! I actually just went to Italy in August of last year to help my friend on the judges line( I did nothing but record scores and run them from judges to the panel) for the World Aerobatic Competiton. It was amazing-- all of the best pilots from all over the world all in one place.. Thumbsup
No, but I was flying A bugsmasher in the vid ('bugsmasher' is a slang term used by fighter pilots to describe light general aviation aircraft). Yeah, biplanes are cool and harken back to an amazing era in aviation. I got a little time in a Boeing Stearman, a biplane which is practically the poster child for the magic of flight. Open cockpit, radial engine, cloth covered airframe, minimal day VFR instruments. There's nothing else like it. I have an antique leather flight helmet, bomber jacket and silk scarf especially for flying in those birds. Very nostalgic.

That's great that you got that experience. There are a lot of good female flyers in aerobatics - Melissa Premberton, Svetlana Kapanina, Patty Wagstaff, just to name a few. I'm just getting into aerobatics and mastering the basics i.e. steep turns, aileron rolls, loops, Immelmanns, etc. I'd definitely like to work up to the point of flying routines and competing. I think the ultimate thrill would be to fly in the Red Bull Air Races. I'm going to get some more aerobatic insturction in an MX2 airplane, which should be a wild ride! I'll see if I can shoot some video from that.

(30-04-2012 04:08 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  Niice. Very jealous, I have 1 hour and my ppl medical certificate. That was as far as I got before work became too unreliable. Sad

Keep at it. You're now building toward your first solo, which is an unforgettable experience!

Why did you stop flying?

Oh I know what a Stearman is!! I've had a couple of acro rides in the one that is at Aerocountry in Mckinney,TX. So LOUD and awesome.. Also, the same friend who I went to Italy with used to announce the Red Bull Air Races too! His name is Mike Gallaway you can look him up.. in the acro world he goes by "Spanky". I went to the first RBAR that was held in the US it was held at the Reno Air Races a few years ago and also got to go San Fransico a couple years back to watch them again. I had such a blast at both. I've had the opportunity to meet some of the most amazing acro pilots-- its quite humbling how down to earth they all are-- I've traveled and volunteered at a lot of contests and airshows over the past few years. I always jump on any opportunity to be anywhere around aviation! Nice to meet another aviation fan!!

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
01-05-2012, 09:49 PM
(01-05-2012 03:35 PM)k37713 Wrote:  Oh I know what a Stearman is!! I've had a couple of acro rides in the one that is at Aerocountry in Mckinney,TX. So LOUD and awesome.. Also, the same friend who I went to Italy with used to announce the Red Bull Air Races too! His name is Mike Gallaway you can look him up.. in the acro world he goes by "Spanky". I went to the first RBAR that was held in the US it was held at the Reno Air Races a few years ago and also got to go San Fransico a couple years back to watch them again. I had such a blast at both. I've had the opportunity to meet some of the most amazing acro pilots-- its quite humbling how down to earth they all are-- I've traveled and volunteered at a lot of contests and airshows over the past few years. I always jump on any opportunity to be anywhere around aviation! Nice to meet another aviation fan!!
I went to the Red Bull race in San Diego a few years ago, those are really amazing!
02-05-2012, 09:25 PM
(01-05-2012 03:35 PM)k37713 Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 02:06 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  No, but I was flying A bugsmasher in the vid ('bugsmasher' is a slang term used by fighter pilots to describe light general aviation aircraft). Yeah, biplanes are cool and harken back to an amazing era in aviation. I got a little time in a Boeing Stearman, a biplane which is practically the poster child for the magic of flight. Open cockpit, radial engine, cloth covered airframe, minimal day VFR instruments. There's nothing else like it. I have an antique leather flight helmet, bomber jacket and silk scarf especially for flying in those birds. Very nostalgic.

Why did you stop flying?

Oh I know what a Stearman is!! I've had a couple of acro rides in the one that is at Aerocountry in Mckinney,TX. So LOUD and awesome.. Also, the same friend who I went to Italy with used to announce the Red Bull Air Races too! His name is Mike Gallaway you can look him up.. in the acro world he goes by "Spanky". I went to the first RBAR that was held in the US it was held at the Reno Air Races a few years ago and also got to go San Fransico a couple years back to watch them again. I had such a blast at both. I've had the opportunity to meet some of the most amazing acro pilots-- its quite humbling how down to earth they all are-- I've traveled and volunteered at a lot of contests and airshows over the past few years. I always jump on any opportunity to be anywhere around aviation! Nice to meet another aviation fan!!

I'll have to look up Spanky. I have met Michael Goulian and Kirby Chambliss at air shows in the past. Both kick ass RBAR pilots with over 10,000 hours under their belts. Keep up with your flying and feel free to swap stories with a fellow atheist airport rat anytime.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
22-05-2012, 02:28 AM
That's amazing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-05-2012, 05:05 PM
(29-04-2012 08:20 AM)Dom Wrote:  The only way to bear it anymore is to move up to business and first class. Plus the airports - it's like being herded around like cows now with all the security stuff.

I have to be knocked out in order to tolerate it anymore. I don't care if it's an 0600 flight and I just got up. I'm taking a Lunesta, Ambien, or Seroquel (sometimes all 3 Big Grin) 20 minutes before I board.

(29-04-2012 09:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I finally get it .. "in thrust we trust".

And in so doing, you have completely ruined it for me. Ima gonna stick with the sexual connotation. ... Or at least treat as a double entendre. Tongue

And the only thing scarier than flying with Gene Simmons in the cockpit is stumbling across the Evil Clown in a sewer.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
23-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Whoa, pilots comin' out of the woodwork! ~500hr private/instrument here, pretty much all in the 172SP. (Tried a couple of times to get a commercial multi going, but things haven't worked out yet.) But I seriously need to get out and fly; it's been six months now. Sad

In a similar vein to "in thrust we trust" -- "Airspeed is life; altitude is life insurance."