Flynn takes 5th

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Flynn takes 5th
http://nypost.com/2017/05/22/michael-fly...sia-probe/

Quote:Legal experts told the news service that Flynn was unlikely to turn over the documents without a guarantee of immunity because he would be waiving some of his constitutional protections.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
22-05-2017, 10:13 AM
RE: Flynn takes 5th
Aw crap. I was hoping he'd testify.
22-05-2017, 10:19 AM
(22-05-2017 09:04 AM)Dom Wrote:  http://nypost.com/2017/05/22/michael-fly...sia-probe/

Quote:Legal experts told the news service that Flynn was unlikely to turn over the documents without a guarantee of immunity because he would be waiving some of his constitutional protections.

He is the only one of the Trump cabal that is not a millionaire. He probably remembers last month's electricity bill. He was in it just for the quid, so he doesn't to worry about bills and things most of us can relate to. He is looking increasingly like he will take one for his richer buddies.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
22-05-2017, 11:02 AM
(22-05-2017 10:19 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(22-05-2017 09:04 AM)Dom Wrote:  http://nypost.com/2017/05/22/michael-fly...sia-probe/

He is the only one of the Trump cabal that is not a millionaire. He probably remembers last month's electricity bill. He was in it just for the quid, so he doesn't to worry about bills and things most of us can relate to. He is looking increasingly like he will take one for his richer buddies.

Actually, he has a net worth in the $8 million range, along with his military retirement for O-9 of about $90k per year, so I doubt he worries about the electric bill. He and his son also have a consulting business which brings in more.

But he has two or three things to worry about that may make a refusal to turn over documents worth a contempt charge.
1 - The information in the documents could get him into more trouble than a contempt charge. That's likely, since he was looking for an immunity deal to testify.
2 - He's a retired Army officer, so he is still subject to a Court Martial under the UCMJ. The Emoluments Clause of the Constitution applies to him, and we already know he took money from at least one foreign government - Turkey - to work on their behalf. If there's no paperwork that shows he had permission from DIA beforehand (and I've seen nothing to indicate that it exists) then he's got a problem with the Army. He could face Court Martial for both the Emoluments Clause and UCMJ Art. 133: Conduct Unbecoming an Officer.
3 - He's a retired Intelligence Officer, subject to security and espionage statutes that are in addition to any other restrictions. He could be get up to 20 additional years in prison for any intelligence security violation - like the 20 years Bradley/Chelsea Manning got for sending stuff to Wikileaks. He may not be guilty of that, but it would be investigated along with other charges.

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 8 users Like Rockblossom's post
22-05-2017, 01:31 PM

Well, he's the only one so far that has a high likelihood of doing illegal (treasonous) activity. Unless he can guarantee throwing Trump or other high profiles under the bus, I doubt they will give him immunity and let him off the hook.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
22-05-2017, 05:46 PM
(22-05-2017 01:31 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
Well, he's the only one so far that has a high likelihood of doing illegal (treasonous) activity. Unless he can guarantee throwing Trump or other high profiles under the bus, I doubt they will give him immunity and let him off the hook.

I hope he ends up singing like a canary. Evil_monster

Bet he ends up dead, not that I wish it on him.
24-05-2017, 03:02 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/michael-f...d=47594971

"Michael Flynn risks being held in contempt of Congress, Senate Intelligence Committee members say"

"The Senate Intelligence Committee has announced two new subpoenas against former national security adviser Michael Flynn to compel him to turn over documents related to his contact with the Russians, adding that Flynn risks being held in contempt of Congress if he does not comply with the requests."

Oh no. He's here - God
[+] 2 users Like Cypher44's post
24-05-2017, 03:13 AM
Congress is asking for business records. The 5th amendment does not apply to businesses (yet, "Corporations are people, people.")

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-05-2017, 03:35 AM
Little known fact, during Prohibition none of the Congressional hearings could get anyone to testify because all the witnesses drank a fifth.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
24-05-2017, 10:21 AM
(24-05-2017 03:13 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Congress is asking for business records. The 5th amendment does not apply to businesses (yet, "Corporations are people, people.")

I suppose, technically, that if corporations are people then it is the corporation that would have to "take the fifth". Whether or not the Board of Directors (or equivalent leadership) can take the fifth in the name of the company is another question, since obviously the "free speech rights" of the company applies de facto to the actions of the same leadership, when they donate money in the company's name to campaigns and/or advertisements.

In the case of government corporations such as the FBI, etc., it begs the question of whether or not the leader of that individual, when under Congressional subpoena, can invoke not only his own 5th amendment rights but those of the company. Of course, if the person is no longer in the leadership of the company, then it would not apply.

Lots of interesting legal questions, here. Almost makes me wish I was in a high level law school right now.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson