Folks with a basement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Folks with a basement
It's very cold here, in the teens and single digits for a few days now. The difference in temperature between our upstairs, and downstairs is a whole 9 degrees!

Anyone else have that big of a difference? Our basement is finished, carpet, drywal, insulation etc. sooo cold... Sadcryface
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 10:36 PM
RE: Folks with a basement
Get yourself a portable heater. They are amazingBig Grin

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
09-12-2013, 10:37 PM
(09-12-2013 10:33 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  It's very cold here, in the teens and single digits for a few days now. The difference in temperature between our upstairs, and downstairs is a whole 9 degrees!

Anyone else have that big of a difference? Our basement is finished, carpet, drywal, insulation etc. sooo cold... Sadcryface

It sounds like you don't have the basement as a separately controlled zone on the heating system.

That temperature difference is not surprising.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-12-2013, 10:39 PM
(09-12-2013 10:33 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  It's very cold here, in the teens and single digits for a few days now. The difference in temperature between our upstairs, and downstairs is a whole 9 degrees!

That's all well and good but does it have any heating/AC ducts. You also have to remember heat rises and cold air sinks.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
09-12-2013, 10:44 PM
I remember the basement in the house I grew up in being colder than the upstairs. It was an old house and the basement wasn't remodeled into living space till after we moved in. Seemed to get worse throughout the winter, the longer and deeper the ground was frozen.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-12-2013, 10:47 PM
(09-12-2013 10:39 PM)Crulax Wrote:  

That's all well and good but does it have any heating/AC ducts. You also have to remember heat rises and cold air sinks.

Yep, sitting right underneath a heat vent, they are in the ceiling, so yeah, not the best, but we also have a few others. One about shoulder height. Yuck.
And the hot air rising... Duh Tongue lol

It just seems like such a huge difference
09-12-2013, 10:48 PM
(09-12-2013 10:36 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Get yourself a portable heater. They are amazingBig Grin

Yeah, I think we are going to have to break ours out for tv viewing downstairs Thumbsup
09-12-2013, 10:50 PM
My dad put one of those fake electric fireplaces on the wall (camouflaged space heater basically), that helped some.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
09-12-2013, 10:57 PM
(09-12-2013 10:47 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 10:39 PM)Crulax Wrote:  That's all well and good but does it have any heating/AC ducts. You also have to remember heat rises and cold air sinks.

Yep, sitting right underneath a heat vent, they are in the ceiling, so yeah, not the best, but we also have a few others. One about shoulder height. Yuck.
And the hot air rising... Duh Tongue lol

It just seems like such a huge difference

It's really not. I recommend installing a ceiling fan since the vents are in the ceiling it sounds like an air circulation issue.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
09-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Oooooh it's so good already! Leo says WTAF is this thing??
Thanks for reminding me I had this grizzly!! Big Grin
[Image: 8367c19c4734a4e7ea18e148149c7c28_zpsb41432fc.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post