Follow Up Questions for Me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Follow Up Questions for Me
So, I just got back from my vacation a couple of hours ago - bags still laying in the living room floor. Hopefully I will be able to answer any relevant questions and concerns that were posed while I was gone, but let me explain a bit what happened.

When I left for vacation the plan was for aurora to act as the sole Admin while I was gone, but personal issues in her life had mounted and shortly after I left she come to the decision to leave as Admin. If I had known that this was going to happen I would have planned accordingly, however I did not. I apologize to all that there was a day or two in which there was no acting Admin.

Regarding what happened with WC -

When he first appeared on the forum, I was a supermod, however all of the forum team was active in tracking his actions, and proper procedure was followed. He was warned, then given a temporary ban - during his temporary ban I was made an Admin. A few days after his temporary ban was lifted he was permanently banned. I personally spoke with Seth regarding his potentially criminal offenses and contacted the Atheist Forums Administrators to offer any information to help in their prosecution with Seth's permission. Since that time the Forum Team has proactively worked to prevent his re-entry. I decided not to share all of the things we were doing publicly because it may have been helpful to WC to undermine our efforts, however I will say he we have exploited many technical tools and options to make it much for difficult for him to actively post.

Please post follow-up questions here and I will do my best to answer them in a timely manner.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Dark Light's post
19-10-2014, 06:59 PM
RE: Follow Up Questions for Me
Hope you had a good vacation (while Rome burned Tongue , I know, very melodramatic) and welcome back.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on any of the suggestions posted here
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ne-waiting

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-10-2014, 07:01 PM
So basically it was all Aurora's fault.
Yea I knew that already.

Three questions.
1) When is MomSBB becoming admin.

2) When am I going to get an orange name colour.

and

3) Are you staying on as admin.

edit: Oh and better do the social thing...
OMG, like how totally awesome was your vacation! Did you take heaps of photos?! OMG show me!! show me!!

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
19-10-2014, 07:14 PM
The idea that two days without an active pretty much dismisses the issues and diminishes concerns posed by various members. There have been things that needed attention for the last couple of months. Two days wasn't a make or break.

The request for questions includes what appears to be a lot of excuses for what was really poor management - whatever the reason.

The comment that his appearance here was before you were admin is typical of the passing the buck mentality that has become all too common.

If I were to pose a question it would be this - what is going to be done to avoid similar incidents in the future?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-10-2014, 07:49 PM
@Full Circle, I am looking for the suggestions you were referring to. So far, I have found complaints that I was inactive (or only active to prove muffs wrong), which is not true. I was inactive on my vacation, however it is normally rare that I go a day without posting at least a half-dozen times in addition to about an hour of reading posts, messing around in the Admin CP for one reason or another, talking with members on Skype regarding the forum, answering PMs, or occasionally reading 'how to' articles on MyBB/Server stuff. When the forum is quiet I spend less time doing all that stuff, and usually post more. MSBB is here virtually every day for at least an hour. Deep does not post very often, but he does a ton of work on the back end of things, server administration, preventing DDOS attacks, adding forum tools, etc. Additionally I found demands to explain the WC thing, which I hopefully have done, but if not I can try to answer specific questions. I have found demands for an apology - for which I will say that I apologize that communication between myself and the forum was not the best, and I will try to be more specific in the future when communicating what is going on. Concerning suggestions of allowing others to ban - Supermods can temp ban until Admins can determine if a ban is warranted at which point they can be permabanned. I have Supermods banning permissions for WC and all his socks and mods permssion to temp ban until reviewed by at least a supermod as he was a great nuisance, and not too difficult to spot. Additional preventative measure were put in place as well, but I am opting not to state them where he can view them. - But I've not finished reading everything else yet. If I see more as I read I will respond.

@muffs There are changes in the Admin department coming, however there are still some moving pieces and a announcement regarding that is forthcoming.

19-10-2014, 07:58 PM
(19-10-2014 07:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The idea that two days without an active pretty much dismisses the issues and diminishes concerns posed by various members. There have been things that needed attention for the last couple of months. Two days wasn't a make or break.

The request for questions includes what appears to be a lot of excuses for what was really poor management - whatever the reason.

The comment that his appearance here was before you were admin is typical of the passing the buck mentality that has become all too common.

If I were to pose a question it would be this - what is going to be done to avoid similar incidents in the future?

I see several generalized complaints and one question. Can you please ask several specific questions so I can give you several specific answers?

In the meantime I can tell you that we have additional tools and methods at our disposal which we did not have before for dealing which such people for which you have Mom, DT, and Hughsie to think for discovering/creating and all of the mods and supermods for enforcing which ultimately caused his virtual disappearance. However, it should be noted that we have limited abilities - that's true if you're Admins on a small forum, or the giants of Facebook. Every person accepts responsibility for sharing or making publicly available private information.

19-10-2014, 08:10 PM
(19-10-2014 07:58 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 07:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The idea that two days without an active pretty much dismisses the issues and diminishes concerns posed by various members. There have been things that needed attention for the last couple of months. Two days wasn't a make or break.

I see several generalized complaints and one question. Can you please ask several specific questions so I can give you several specific answers?

In the meantime I can tell you that we have additional tools and methods at our disposal which we did not have before for dealing which such people for which you have Mom, DT, and Hughsie to think for discovering/creating and all of the mods and supermods for enforcing which ultimately caused his virtual disappearance. However, it should be noted that we have limited abilities - that's true if you're Admins on a small forum, or the giants of Facebook. Every person accepts responsibility for sharing or making publicly available private information.

Do you really think that the two days you say we were without an active admin is the reason for the issues on the board?

What does you being a supermod when WC showed up have to do with your administrative action after you became admin and he was still here?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-10-2014, 08:13 PM
(19-10-2014 08:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 07:58 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I see several generalized complaints and one question. Can you please ask several specific questions so I can give you several specific answers?

Do you really think that the two days you say we were without an active admin is the reason for the issues on the board?

What does you being a supermod when WC showed up have to do with your administrative action after you became admin and he was still here?

Nothing at all. I stand my action as Admin. I banned him.

19-10-2014, 08:42 PM
(19-10-2014 08:13 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 08:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Do you really think that the two days you say we were without an active admin is the reason for the issues on the board?

Nothing at all. I stand my action as Admin. I banned him.

Weeks and weeks too late. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-10-2014, 08:55 PM
(19-10-2014 07:49 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  @Full Circle, I am looking for the suggestions you were referring to. So far, I have found complaints that I was inactive (or only active to prove muffs wrong), which is not true. I was inactive on my vacation, however it is normally rare that I go a day without posting at least a half-dozen times in addition to about an hour of reading posts, messing around in the Admin CP for one reason or another, talking with members on Skype regarding the forum, answering PMs, or occasionally reading 'how to' articles on MyBB/Server stuff. When the forum is quiet I spend less time doing all that stuff, and usually post more. MSBB is here virtually every day for at least an hour. Deep does not post very often, but he does a ton of work on the back end of things, server administration, preventing DDOS attacks, adding forum tools, etc. Additionally I found demands to explain the WC thing, which I hopefully have done, but if not I can try to answer specific questions. I have found demands for an apology - for which I will say that I apologize that communication between myself and the forum was not the best, and I will try to be more specific in the future when communicating what is going on. Concerning suggestions of allowing others to ban - Supermods can temp ban until Admins can determine if a ban is warranted at which point they can be permabanned. I have Supermods banning permissions for WC and all his socks and mods permssion to temp ban until reviewed by at least a supermod as he was a great nuisance, and not too difficult to spot. Additional preventative measure were put in place as well, but I am opting not to state them where he can view them. - But I've not finished reading everything else yet. If I see more as I read I will respond.

@muffs There are changes in the Admin department coming, however there are still some moving pieces and a announcement regarding that is forthcoming.

Thank you for responding so promptly. I'm hoping that changes are made that will correct vulnerabilities to the forum and it's members.

* Come to think about it let me rephrase that:
I expect that changes will made that will correct vulnerabilities to the forum and it's members.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post