Food Nerd Talk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Food Nerd Talk
Well I'm a food nerd, though I actually have nothing to complain/droll on/lust about right now xD

If you do, I'd really love someone to start this off Wink

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2010, 11:32 PM

RE: Food Nerd Talk
SUSHI!
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Sionnix's post
30-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Sushi!
Well sushi is something I have never bought because of a moral opposition to tuna production, but I have made it myself a few times.

Personally I like to keep my sushi fish free, my favorite type is cucumber, red pepper and wasabi. Though the rice is something I have had trouble with and my main concern for this post.
I cannot decide on the water/rice ratio for cooking. I heard that 2 parts rice to 3 parts water was best, I tried this, but the rice was impossible to mould. I was also advised on 3 parts rice to 2 parts water, but that did not cook like rice should and I got it into my head that I['d just made ricin xD
The best I tried was 1 part rice, 1 part water, though at the same time I made the good rice I really messed up the seasoning (I found this is also very difficult. Though I settled for equal amounts of sugar and salt in twice the volume of rice vinegar. Still deciding on the volume of fish stock to add as all I can find is cubes...)

Any suggestions on this?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
31-08-2010, 05:38 AM

(30-08-2010 11:42 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Sushi!
Well sushi is something I have never bought because of a moral opposition to tuna production, but I have made it myself a few times.

Personally I like to keep my sushi fish free, my favorite type is cucumber, red pepper and wasabi. Though the rice is something I have had trouble with and my main concern for this post.
I cannot decide on the water/rice ratio for cooking. I heard that 2 parts rice to 3 parts water was best, I tried this, but the rice was impossible to mould. I was also advised on 3 parts rice to 2 parts water, but that did not cook like rice should and I got it into my head that I['d just made ricin xD
The best I tried was 1 part rice, 1 part water, though at the same time I made the good rice I really messed up the seasoning (I found this is also very difficult. Though I settled for equal amounts of sugar and salt in twice the volume of rice vinegar. Still deciding on the volume of fish stock to add as all I can find is cubes...)

Any suggestions on this?

the only suggestion I can give you is on the rice, and i would recommend a rice steamer. They're (relatively) inexpensive as kitchen appliances go. the only problem is that you have to make rice in bulk.

For your seasoning, I don't know, not being a sushi fan myself.
31-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Spaghetti. Homemade spaghetti sauce. Mushrooms, ground chuck, red peppers, green peppers, diced onions, garlic, fresh oregano... mmm...

I just made this last night. Spaghetti > sex.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
31-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Extremely hot indian chicken sauce, naan-bread and rice. Put the sauce and rice over your naan-bread and eat... Oh I miss the indian restaurant...

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
31-08-2010, 08:34 AM
When my wife and I built our house three years ago, we literally designed it around the kitchen. I LOVE to be in the kitchen. Thats really why I ended up being a homesteader. The best feeling is creating a meal from the very beginning. And I mean the VERY beginning. Last friday I had my brother over for a BBQ. Chicken raised in my back yard. Cooked slow for three and a half hours in my brick homemade BBQ with oak I cut myself. All the veggies from my garden....purple carrots, steamed and sweetened with honey from our bees. Potatoes, tossed with sweet chili peppers, lots of onion, fresh butter, and veggie seasoning. (The veggie seasoning isn't mine. Was a gift from a neighbor) Garden salad (swiss chard, butter lettuce, tomato, cucumber, gree and yellow bell pepper, feta cheese (store bought) and sliced boiled eggs).

Thats what I call a meal from scratch!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
31-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:Thats what I call a meal from scratch!

That reminds me of a Carl Sagan quote: “If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

I'm not that literal so I'm happy to give you credit for making it from scratch, especially since I can barely re-heat left overs and order take out, but I wouldn't make this claim to Dr. Sagan (and not just because he's dead).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
31-08-2010, 12:33 PM
i love all sorts of foods. Spagetti, pizza, burgers, fajitas, and I could go on.
31-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Food should take just as long to cook as it takes to eat it. In a perfect world...
Bork, bork!