Food Nerd Talk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2010, 02:48 PM
RE: Food Nerd Talk
Damn whoever brought up sushi first Tongue I've been craving it for weeks! Mmmm, raw salmon!

Stark Raving, that sounds delicious! I love fresh garden veggies!

My boyfriend is the resident cook of our place (I've been known to burn water), but I can bake anything that I've attempted to bake, and if anybody wants any tips on healthy alternatives in baking, I've got a few. I'm allergic to dairy, so I use applesauce (although crushed bananas work too) and a little bit of olive oil as a substitute for butter. I also use honey as a substitute for processed, white sugar. And I don't use salt at all in any of my baking.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 03:22 PM
(31-08-2010 02:15 PM)planetmagnus Wrote:  Food should take just as long to cook as it takes to eat it. In a perfect world...
Bork, bork!

Now that's a good attutude. I take it even further. I've really gotten into slow cooking. (Not in a slow cooker nescessarily, mainly real barbecue as opposed to grilling) To make a 5 pound chicken, I start marinating at 10am. Takes me three and a half hours to BBQ, and we usually eat around 7pm. I truly LOVE to cook. Especially good, healthy, full of flavor food!

At the risk of showing what a nerd I really am....anybody have some recipes you invented that you'd like to share? I love trying new things. Especially when it's an origional recipe.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
31-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I think I will try a rice steamer maybe.

@ Stark: Personally I'm not too good with original recipes, but I do have one that I stumbled on. Not really a recipe, just a real simple pie like thing xD Perfect for a once a month thing to give to kids I find.

Basically you get yourself 500g of good eating chocolate (I used 25% once and 80% another time. I wouldn't recommend anything lower than 25%) About half the amount of fresh cream and a sheet of pastry. Also need a pie dish.
First get the pastry into a pie shell in the dish and cook how guided so you have a base.
Melt the chocolate, then mix it with about half the amount of fresh cream in a large bowl.
Stir it well so that it works out the odd texture that eating chocolate gets when liquid is added.
When it's sort of like bread dough texture spread it into the pie shell, then put it in the fridge.
Comes out sort of like a soft chocolate bar in pastry.

Ya I know, simple and a bit weird, but thats me :3

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
20-07-2012, 03:00 PM
[Image: a56efb1f_1000x500px-LL-f845ba46_Thread_Necromancy.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
20-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Oh yeah! I think I like this thread > I love food!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Just reminding Stark about the food forum he promised, huh KC? Wink

Here's a recipe for Buffalo Chili from the National Museum of the American Indian's cookbook. I had it last weekend in their cafeteria and it was brilliant. They also had one helluva good Peach/Habanero salsa.

[Image: chili.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post