Food cost comparisons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 01:55 PM
RE: Food cost comparisons
They're from the government and they're here to help. Big Grin

Official USDA Food Plans: Cost of Food at Home at Four Levels

Of course since they're from the government, they gotta complicate shit to the point they ain't much help at all. Tongue

Thrifty Food Plan, 2006

The Low-Cost, Moderate-Cost, and Liberal Food Plans, 2007

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2013, 02:47 PM
(28-07-2013 01:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  They're from the government and they're here to help. Big Grin

Official USDA Food Plans: Cost of Food at Home at Four Levels

Of course since they're from the government, they gotta complicate shit to the point they ain't much help at all. Tongue

Thrifty Food Plan, 2006

The Low-Cost, Moderate-Cost, and Liberal Food Plans, 2007

Comprehensive. It is interesting that they came up with similar categorizations.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Wedges:
[Image: wedge.jpg]

Chops (lamb, not pork because I don't eat pork):
[Image: recipe-image-legacy-id--327865_12.jpg]

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
29-07-2013, 02:49 AM
Ok I have the results.
I couldn't find chops so I thought a leg of lamb roast would be something good to compare.
Conversions down further.

- 1kg Sausages = $5.99 (On special)
- 1kg Lamb Roast = $12.99
- Dozen eggs = $6.99
- 1L Milk = $2.42
- 500g Butter (I originally said 250g, but it comes in 500g) = $7.49
- 1kg Cheese = $8.99 (on special)
- Loaf of bread = $1.85 (considered very cheap)
- 2x 1kg Frozen Mixed Vegetables = $3.49 per 1kg, $6.98 for both.
- 2x 1kg Frozen Wedges = $2.99 a bag, $4.98 for both. (On special)
- 1kg Bag of potatoes = a ridiculous $5.99
- 1L Apple Juice = $3.39

Note: The meat and dairy products are New Zealand products. It's New Zealand meat, and the dairy products are made from New Zealand milk...

Conversions.
In per pound/per galleon in US dollars.

- Sausages = 5.99*0.454= $2.71 per pound = $2.19US per pound.
- Roast = 12.99*0.454= $5.89 per pound = $4.76US per pound
- Eggs = 6.99*0.81 = $5.65US
- Milk = 2.42*3.79 = $9.17 per gallon = $7.41US per gallon
- Butter = (7.49*2)*0.454 = $6.80 per pound = $5.49US per pound
- Cheese = 8.99*0.454 = $4.08 per pound = $3.30US per pound
- Frozen Veg = 3.49*0.454 = $1.58 per pound = $1.28US per pound (2kg = 4.4lbs)
- Frozen Chips/Wedges = 2.99*0.454 = $1.36 per pound = $1.10US per pound
- 'Tatoes = 5.99*0.454 = $2.72 per pound = $2.20US per pound
- Apple Juice = 3.39*3.79 = $12.85 per gallon = $10.38US per gallon

Oh, and Vanilla Coke = 2.99*3.79= 11.33 = $9.14US per gallon.

Huh, not as expensive comparatively as I had expected.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
29-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Interesting Muffs

I pay less for milk, butter..sausage, Apple juice

But I pay more for frozen anything, way more for cheese too.

lamb roast I'm not sure about..

Pork or chicken are both cheaper tho than lamb

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

29-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Oh and I just got three 12 packs of vanilla coke for $6

30-07-2013, 10:21 AM
$5.65US for a dozen eggs??? Some of the prices in this thread are crazy. I sell my farm eggs for 3 bucks a dozen, and they are ten times better than grocery store egs!!

In my experience, healthy eating can be very difficult for lots of people on a budget. Fortunately, I grow a large portion of my own food, so that helps with the bills big time. Because I can't contribute much in terms of grocery store prices, I'll share some math I did a while back...

These are the costs for the food I grow myself.

Chicken: 17 cents/pound. I purchase chickens when they are a day old for 70 cents each. For their first couple weeks they get feed that is purchased, but after that they forage for nearly all their food. They are also fed from the garden and get the scraps from our meals.

Rabbit: 65 cents/pound. Our rabbits are fed both pellets (we use an all natural pellet that is expensive, but worth it in the long run) and all the alphalfa hay they can eat. However, rabbit meat is very dense, so remember that a six ounce portion of rabbit is similar to a nine ounce portion of chicken.

So far, I grow approximately 1/3 of our vegetables. I spend about 45 dollars a year on seeds. The veggies are grown with no fertilizer except my own compost, so the only cost involved is seeds and the labor I put into it. BTW, we eat TONS of veggies here, so 1/3 is a considerable amount. (this is usually a three person household, sometimes four)

I'm not suggesting you guys should do this. Obviously not everyone can. Just thought it was pertinent to the thread is all. Plus, it illustrates that even you apartment dwellers could save a few bucks if you grew a tomato plant in your window!

Just visiting.

-SR
30-07-2013, 11:01 AM
(30-07-2013 10:21 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  $5.65US for a dozen eggs??? Some of the prices in this thread are crazy. I sell my farm eggs for 3 bucks a dozen, and they are ten times better than grocery store egs!!

In my experience, healthy eating can be very difficult for lots of people on a budget. Fortunately, I grow a large portion of my own food, so that helps with the bills big time. Because I can't contribute much in terms of grocery store prices, I'll share some math I did a while back...

Chicken: 17 cents/pound. I purchase chickens when they are a day old for 70 cents each. For their first couple weeks they get feed that is purchased, but after that they forage for nearly all their food. They are also fed from the garden and get the scraps from our meals.

Rabbit: 65 cents/pound. Our rabbits are fed both pellets (we use an all natural pellet that is expensive, but worth it in the long run) and all the alphalfa hay they can eat. However, rabbit meat is very dense, so remember that a six ounce portion of rabbit is similar to a nine ounce portion of chicken.

So far, I grow approximately 1/3 of our vegetables. I spend about 45 dollars a year on seeds. The veggies are grown with no fertilizer except my own compost, so the only cost involved is seeds and the labor I put into it. BTW, we eat TONS of veggies here, so 1/3 is a considerable amount. (this is usually a three person household, sometimes four)

I'm not suggesting you guys should do this. Obviously not everyone can. Just thought it was pertinent to the thread is all. Plus, it illustrates that even you apartment dwellers could save a few bucks if you grew a tomato plant in your window!

Yea I think I need to start growing my own veggies.

Do you butcher your own chickens and rabbits?

30-07-2013, 11:49 AM
(30-07-2013 11:01 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 10:21 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  $5.65US for a dozen eggs??? Some of the prices in this thread are crazy. I sell my farm eggs for 3 bucks a dozen, and they are ten times better than grocery store egs!!

Yea I think I need to start growing my own veggies.

Do you butcher your own chickens and rabbits?

Sure do. My wife and I can process about 15 chickens or 12 rabbits per hour.

Ya know, maybe I should start a new thread on this, but I am planning to write a book on growing veggies. I started an experiment this past winter. Even though I have 160 acres, I decided to grow most of my veggies on my deck in pots. The idea was to develop a simple system that anyone, including apartment dwellers, could use for growing at a minimal cost. So far, the experiment has been a raging success.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
30-07-2013, 11:53 AM
A couple weeks ago:

[Image: 6a1feb10c827057a4065cdb53e4588e1.jpg]

Just visiting.

-SR