Food you like, that your family hate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 02:53 PM
What do you like to eat, that the rest of your family hate?

For myself, what immediately comes to mind is liver. The missus and the wee one were away for the weekend. So could finally sneak off to the buther. I fried liver and onions, and cooked a huge pot of liver with sauce made from creme fraiche, fresh cream, ground juniper berries, black pepper, salt and a pinch of sugar. Served with potatoes, carrots, kohlrabi and ample amounts of lingonberry jam. Washed down with a pint (or two) of lager.

They don't want to taste. They don't even want to hear about it. But I love it. Always have, always will.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Harvey's post
19-01-2015, 02:56 PM
RE: Food that you like, that your family hate
My mom & step father don't eat sushi, while I do.
On the other side of the coin, I can't stand steak, but they love it (well, my step father particularly)
19-01-2015, 03:26 PM
RE: Food you like, that your family hate
(19-01-2015 02:53 PM)Harvey Wrote:  What do you like to eat, that the rest of your family hate?

For myself, what immediately comes to mind is liver. The missus and the wee one were away for the weekend. So could finally sneak off to the buther. I fried liver and onions, and cooked a huge pot of liver with sauce made from creme fraiche, fresh cream, ground juniper berries, black pepper, salt and a pinch of sugar. Served with potatoes, carrots, kohlrabi and ample amounts of lingonberry jam. Washed down with a pint (or two) of lager.

They don't want to taste. They don't even want to hear about it. But I love it. Always have, always will.

I'll exclude my son as he's a fussy so 'n' so. Confused

Fish fingers.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
19-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Used to be sushi, but now most of my family do. (Technically sushi doesn't specifically mean raw, so sushi & sashimi.)

The whole insect thing mentioned in another thread.

Rare steak. I cannot stand well-done steak. That destroys the flavors. Medium pushes my boundary.
19-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Oka cheese. Not one female in the extended family will touch it.

Oh, well. More for me.

[Image: oka-classique.png]

Quote:Oka is a semi-soft washed rind cheese that was originally manufactured by Trappist monks located in Oka, Quebec, Canada.
The cheese is named after the town. It has a distinct flavour and aroma, and is still manufactured in Oka, although now by a commercial company.
The rights were sold in 1996 by Les Pères Trappistes to the Agropur cooperative. It is also manufactured in Holland, Manitoba, by Trappist Monks
at their monastery, which is located 8 miles southeast of Holland.

It originated in 1893. Since that time, Quebec has become a major producer of Canadian Cheese. Oka cheese has a pungent aroma
and soft creamy flavour, sometimes described as nutty and fruity. The cheese, which is made from cow's milk is covered with a copper-orange,
hand-washed rind. Its distinct flavour sets it apart from more common cheeses such as colby and cheddar, and does not go through a cheddaring process.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Anchovies.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
19-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Crackers and blue cheese.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
19-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Chicken feet. Really good but only boyfriend (Near) will eat it.

On the other hand my boyfriend likes balut....I'll never touch it. Lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
20-01-2015, 12:26 AM
The big thing for me growing up was canned or smoked seafood.

Kippered herring, smoked oysters, sardines, etc. I took after my stepfather in that regards, who was a commercial fisherman. My mom and sister, on the other hand, despised seafood. The above mentioned, in particular, has a nice fragrance that lingers for hours.

I've also got a soft spot for stanky cheeses... the stankier the better.

And choudoufu (stinky tofu, hard to describe to those of you only familiar with westernized Chinese food).

And durian fruit. Drooling

Okay, so pretty much anything that smells like shit, I like.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
20-01-2015, 12:32 AM
(19-01-2015 10:01 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Chicken feet. Really good but only boyfriend (Near) will eat it.

On the other hand my boyfriend likes balut....I'll never touch it. Lol.

My first memory after pulling into port in Thailand was following some of my shipmates into a bar and seeing a basket of some kind of bird feet, chicken or duck, sitting on the table kind of like peanuts in our bars. I think that was my first taste of culinary culture shock. I diversified considerably in the following years Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post